Updating course status

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When does your course update it’s status?

We’ve been closed fairly regularly lately, which is understandable given the weather - but still annoying. Even more annoying is that the status update on ClubV1 and the club website is not posted until 7am. Our first tee time for comps is 7:30am. Today we were booked in for 7:38am. It means I was up, dressed and sorted before the update to say we were closed was posted. One of my playing partners was already at the course with several others. Poor in my opinion.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yesterday the update email we got was at 05:38. None this morning so the course is open as yesterday - allowing our head greenie a morning off. If there was a chance it would be closed he’d have been up and out as yesterday. He lives in a club cottage adjacent to our clubhouse.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours is not generally done until around 7am at this time of year, though this morning it was posted at just after 6am. I am guessing the greenkeeoper got in earlier as their is a competetion on today.

HPIMG

Visit site
My place usually updates about 20 mins before the first tee time. Problem is if you have the first tee time you can be on your way to the course before they post it online. Wish they would do it earlier as they start an hour before the course opens. So surly would make more sense for someone to have a quick drive round for a look.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Ours was closed yesterday, tbh I didn't really notice what time that notification came through but it wasn't particularly early. They did do an update later yesterday to inform us that holes 12 - 18 are closed today, so the planned medal for today has been scrapped.
The most annoying aspect is I've only got 11 cards in on the WHS, so I can't enter one of the upcoming 'major' comps as I need 20 in. I just can't see myself getting that many before the comp date which is now 4 weeks away.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My place usually updates about 20 mins before the first tee time. Problem is if you have the first tee time you can be on your way to the course before they post it online. Wish they would do it earlier as they start an hour before the course opens. So surly would make more sense for someone to have a quick drive round for a look.
This is the exact issue this morning. Makes little sense. Either defer the first tee time or get the announcement out quicker.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wondered if the head green keeper was the sole decision maker, or if he had to make a recommendation and someone else/committee made the decision.
With no actual knowledge of how it works, I'd have thought the head greenkeeper should make the decision, based on guidelines from the greens Committee. They are there, they know their stuff. Does a Committee member really want to be part of the process at silly o clock?

Unless the greenkeeper is closing it excessively then you should trust in their judgement. That's my thoughts anyway.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We now have 2 greens staff in every day on the weekend for 4 hours and they usually start around 6.00 am. Course update will go out about 6.30 for a 6.58 first tee time.
There will be occasions ,as in this current spell of weather it takes the inspection longer to decide on what restrictions will be in place.

D

Deleted member 15344

Course update will be approximately 30 mins before the 1st tee time , that gives them a good 45 mins to check the course before making a judgement

you have to give consideration to the working hours , light and giving them time to make a call

30 mins before the first tee time should be more than enough

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our head greenkeeper (or the deputy if the head is off) makes the decision at 6.00am or at daybreak if later. If closed, posted to all members on HDID immediately.
Rarely taken by surprise as we only close through snow, very severe frost making it dangerous or the river flooding the whole course.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
7am at our place as well.

I guess it comes down to who makes the decision, what time do they get to work?

Ours has been pretty good this week. 6.36, 6.58, 6.24, 6.41, 6.24, 6.14 and 6.02. Pretty happy with that, have known it to be a lot later, particularly in the middle of winter which is understandable when it's pitch black until 8am!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our green staff do it before 6 in the morning.
The previous boss did a review at 10.30 but the new one will not do it.
We had a partial buggy ban yesterday and none of us could see any reason why we had it and I see this morning it is still place. Probably just because of the dew on the ground at that time of the morning.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Course update will be approximately 30 mins before the 1st tee time , that gives them a good 45 mins to check the course before making a judgement

you have to give consideration to the working hours , light and giving them time to make a call

Our course condition status includes whether or not buggies are allowed and if banned there will be around 30 early morning players who cannot play. I consider myself as living reasonable close to the course with a minimum time to travel there as 20 minutes I bet there are quite a few with at least a 45 minute drive who would need to know well before 30 minutes.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have emails sent out around 6:30, but sometimes they do another inspection around 7:30 which they tell you and another email follows that. The club website also gives the status of the course.
TBH I dont see that as being poor, the club and greenstaff have no control over the weather or conditions and they need daylight to be able to judge the course properly.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site

No consideration for people actually getting to the course, warming up etc?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ours only gets updated periodically as the status rarely changes.
We've been on Preferred Lies, Trolleys allowed, Carry if you can since about November..we had a few days of Carry Only and Club V1 gets updated by 6.30/6.45...
We've got a pretty good idea of when trolleys will be off - which is quite unlikely really..only close for snow.
Love the benefits of playing on a chalk hill...