Updating course status

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
At ours, it's the Course Manager (ie the Head GK) who makes the decision. As it should be. What I don't know , is whose responsibility it is to communicate this out to the members - dont know if that's done by the geens team, or the office team.. Its OK at the moment but that bit can sometimes be a bit variable & it's updated rather too late. I mean, what use is it if you look at the info, say, mid morning and it's still showing yesterday's detail...

The problem really lies in the fact that course closure due to weather tends to coincide with those periods of shorter day length - giving the greenies the greater difficulty in assessing the course before 1st tee time. Ideally, yes it would be nice to give enough notice so folk can avoid unnecessary journeys but realistically that's not always possible. At ours, 30 mins before 1st tee time (7:00 normally but in winter its later) is usually achievable - and I think that's reasonable. And to be fair, people who bag the early slots are generally not those who are making the longest journies so aren't that much put out if they do make the trip

sunshine

Visit site
Our announcement came through this morning at 7:02am. If that is half an hour earlier, it resolves the problems for >95% of people. If competitions started much later than 7:30 some might not be able to play. I’d not be in favour of starting them later if it prevented people from playing.

Announcement at 7am is fine for >95% of people.

What you’re really saying is that you want everything at the course to revolve around your life.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
6.32 for us.

However, there are some days it's more important than others.

Our course was open yesterday. There hasn't been a drop of rain since Friday night, so it was obviously going to be open today. It's the borderline days when you really want an early message.
That is true, but they are also the days where it takes longer to make the assessment.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Our announcement came through this morning at 7:02am. If that is half an hour earlier, it resolves the problems for >95% of people. If competitions started much later than 7:30 some might not be able to play. I’d not be in favour of starting them later if it prevented people from playing.
It would seem to me that this is only a problem for those going out in the first three or four groups, so unless you only have 5 or 6 groups play in compeietions this seems somewhat of an exaggeration.

Be interested to know the asnwer you get back from the club.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

But the point is that it isn't a problem to begin with for 95% of the members as they aren't teeing off at 7.30/live close to the course/not playing, so your effectively asking the green staff to play and notify earlier for the 1% at the club it impacts, which seems more important as that's currently you.

By all means chat to understand the reason but i would say better quality of life by not having to be there in pitch black and also not to rush an assessment is better than the worry that the course is going to be shut and it may catch out the first group what 5 times a year max i expect.

If their solution is to push first tee time back to 8/8.30 which is what our club do then you'll be more annoyed it impacts your group's family time for all the other rounds when play is fine. Personally I just think this one is having a bit of acceptance it's not ideal but not actually a big issue.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Might I suggest then that if you need an hour to warm up before you play, perhaps play later in the day?
I don’t need an hour to warm up. I need an hour notice that it’s closed to prevent myself and others from having to get sorted, get to course, sign in, warm up etc before that notice is given. I really don’t think that is unreasonable.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t need an hour to warm up. I need an hour notice that it’s closed to prevent myself and others from having to get sorted, get to course, sign in, warm up etc before that notice is given. I really don’t think that is unreasonable.
Play later in the day then. There has to be an acceptance that playing that early may risk the course being closed for whatever reason before you arrive. The greenstaff have a life as well.:)

HeftyHacker

Visit site
We only get notifications if the course is closed and the time for this varies.

I've said this a few times on here but our greens director is a nightmare - closes the bottom holes when there's no need to. Closes the course, doesn't send an email out and then miraculously opens it just before his tee time.

I went in the proshop on Saturday before the comp and found him asking the Pro what the tee sheet was like for Sunday as he wanted to close the bottom holes (despite them being open for the comp and no rain forecast). The pro bluntly said there's a society here, they've had it booked ages and he's fed up of having to deal with disgruntled societies who turn up to find holes closed for no apparent reason.

I got to the bottom holes expecting a quagmire and they were absolutely fine.

I play with the head greenie quite a bit and he says he can't understand it sometimes.

IJames

Visit site
We only get notifications if the course is closed and the time for this varies.

I've said this a few times on here but our greens director is a nightmare - closes the bottom holes when there's no need to. Closes the course, doesn't send an email out and then miraculously opens it just before his tee time.

I went in the proshop on Saturday before the comp and found him asking the Pro what the tee sheet was like for Sunday as he wanted to close the bottom holes (despite them being open for the comp and no rain forecast). The pro bluntly said there's a society here, they've had it booked ages and he's fed up of having to deal with disgruntled societies who turn up to find holes closed for no apparent reason.

I got to the bottom holes expecting a quagmire and they were absolutely fine.

I play with the head greenie quite a bit and he says he can't understand it sometimes.
Are you saying that it's a member of the committee that's responsible for whether the course is closed or not? That seems daft imo - and open to corruption, as you seem to suggest has happened!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Are you saying that it's a member of the committee that's responsible for whether the course is closed or not? That seems daft imo - and open to corruption, as you seem to suggest has happened!
That's exactly what I'm saying, and as far as I'm aware he has no formal qualifications or experience that would allow him to make informed decisions.

IJames

Visit site
That's exactly what I'm saying, and as far as I'm aware he has no formal qualifications or experience that would allow him to make informed decisions.
Bizarre! Something that should be challenged imo! Especially if what you stated wrt to him opening it for his own use later can be proven! A query at AGM, especially with evidence, could sort it out! Though not exactly a diplomatic mehod!