Updating course status

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We are the first group out every Saturday at 7 and we have people that travel 30-45 mins to get to the club and they make a judgement call and I have been at the club a few times and the course has had to close
So your point that 30 mins is “plenty” is clearly incorrect.

I get the way your course works for you. The way my course presently does it is not ideal. 60 mins notice feels a bit more reasonable.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
So surely an earlier announcement would only help?

Without a doubt, but someone just said sunrise was 6.15 today, so it's going to be getting on towards 7.30 by the time the greenkeeper has gone out to make a decision and someone has updated the website. So chances are most players with a tee time before 9am are already on their way.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Without a doubt, but someone just said sunrise was 6.15 today, so it's going to be getting on towards 7.30 by the time the greenkeeper has gone out to make a decision and someone has updated the website. So chances are most players with a tee time before 9am are already on their way.
Sunrise was 6:02 here. I think that affords time for an inspection of the likely problem holes/sections and to get a notification out by 6:30am.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well not for the green keeper or are you advocating that competitions start later.
Our announcement came through this morning at 7:02am. If that is half an hour earlier, it resolves the problems for >95% of people. If competitions started much later than 7:30 some might not be able to play. I’d not be in favour of starting them later if it prevented people from playing.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our announcement came through this morning at 7:02am. If that is half an hour earlier, it resolves the problems for >95% of people. If competitions started much later than 7:30 some might not be able to play. I’d not be in favour of starting them later if it prevented people from playing.
Can I suggest that you spend a morning with the green keepers to find out what they do before any announcement goes out. It may be that they can do it earlier, or maybe the announcement is as soon as it can be. Without understanding what is involved at your course, you are not in a position at the moment to criticise.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I was at the club a touch after 6 this morning...Greenkeepers had already changed holes and cut and rolled 3 greens on the back 9 to prepare for the first comp time of 7.45. The idea was to get the back 9 done and then they can do the front 9 which heads back to their sheds after which they go home about 9
Head Greeny will have known if there was to be a change in status by about 5.30 and would likely have posted by 6
I appreciate not all clubs can work that way..glad ours does.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sunrise was 6:02 here. I think that affords time for an inspection of the likely problem holes/sections and to get a notification out by 6:30am.

I think you have made the point here. 6am sunrise and the announcement was made at 7am. Depending on what time the 1st tee times are and how far people travel, you could already have the 1st 90 mins of tee times either at the course or on their way if the 1st times are 7am.

There will never be a perfect answer to this and clubs just have to do the best they can. One thing is to not have any tee times before 8am. That way most people will know before they leave home, not everyone, but most.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Can I suggest that you spend a morning with the green keepers to find out what they do before any announcement goes out. It may be that they can do it earlier, or maybe the announcement is as soon as it can be. Without understanding what is involved at your course, you are not in a position at the moment to criticise.
Now don't be daft, you know full well that 95% of golfers could do a better job than professional greenkeepers🤣, or at least they think they could.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our last update in IG was done at 7:33am, but yesterday not today. (Course open, no trolleys.) If there's no new update I just assume it's the same status as the previous.

D

Deleted member 15344

Our course condition status includes whether or not buggies are allowed and if banned there will be around 30 early morning players who cannot play. I consider myself as living reasonable close to the course with a minimum time to travel there as 20 minutes I bet there are quite a few with at least a 45 minute drive who would need to know well before 30 minutes.

30 people playing in buggies ?!?!

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
6.30 is ample time. I live 45 minutes from Woodhall and it’s not a train smash if I get there and find that the course is closed. Nice chatty breakfast with the lads and then head home. I have had calls from the guys as I was driving to say the course was shut and turned back for home.
Agree, 6.30 for the announcement would be ideal.

D

Deleted member 1147

6.30 is ample time. I live 45 minutes from Woodhall and it’s not a train smash if I get there and find that the course is closed. Nice chatty breakfast with the lads and then head home. I have had calls from the guys as I was driving to say the course was shut and turned back for home
How often have you found out that it was actually open, but they just thought they’d have a nice quiet knock without you?
🤔😁

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Home club website is updated "by 7.30 daily." That usually does the job.

Folk understand the process and if you play earlier there's a degree of risk.

There's only an issue on a few days a year. Course is rarely closed at the times of year where folk are teeing off before 7.30
Yes I agree here.
if the course is wet and it’s pissed down all night.
Theres a chance it’s closed.