90 degree rule?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Oh yes very smart especially if it records such demeanors on their record

Resort style course with mix of members/visitors, so lots playing it for first time. Its enough to have the buggy halt to protect the course
Even without rain buggys will cut-out on fairway if you drive too close to a green etc

Players aside, getting a dozen or so GKs out to cut the greens and 100 plus teeing areas after heavy rain without once driving on the course means no risk of tyre ruts even in 1st cut or other areas of rough that could spoil the ground for weeks/months. Really helps with presentation and course condition

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought that was common, polite practice when using a buggy. Its a bit like the 'no taking your pants down on the course' rule, I suppose.
What?! When did that come in? The rule-makers are total killjoys. Next you'll be telling me that it's not OK to casually grope other members' members.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hated the Nicklaus @ St Mellion where all buggies always had to keep to the path. Too often the only access to the fairway was to go 50 or more yards past or behind your ball to find a viable way through the undergrowth or steep gradient. The Kernow was better.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
90* is used all the time in the USA . Stay on paths.
Most guys use a small pencil bag .they take say 130yds 8/7/9 irons and putter.
While they play in the other drove down to the green.
When they putted out they put the clubs back in their main bag.
Very clever.

Sure a plastic clip thing was invented for this that holds three clubs and couple of balls and tees.
Perfect for the practice ground as well.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Weird way of referring to it, never heard that before. Most would say no trolleys on fairways or no trolleys past the ropes, stick to the paths etc wouldn't they?
It's a commonly used phrase at US courses. More to do with buggies. Drive up a path and then turn 90 degrees and head to your ball.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
It's a commonly used phrase at US courses. More to do with buggies. Drive up a path and then turn 90 degrees and head to your ball.
It's also supposed to be used at my course when conditions warrant it. But more often than not, following a request for users to adopt the 90* rule, I'd be walking down the fairway admiring the tyre tracks meandering down the fairway. And they wonder why buggies get banned so much.

Par345

Visit site
Played a local course earlier in the wek, it was very enjoyable but was a long course and carry only so we were all a bit knackered afterwards.

We are thinking of going back when the trolley ban is lifted. I just had a look on their website, and this is today's update -

"Course open. No Buggies. Trolleys allowed. Trolleys MUST stick to fairways and paths at all time. 90 degree rule in force. Thank you"

What is the 90 degree rule? I've never heard of it.
At my current home club the 90 degree rule is when you have to drop in the first cut of rough at a 90 degree angle from where your ball is on the fairway. Between sets of blue posts. Its a winter rule, instead of using fairway mats, some places Ive seen it you get the choice. Its still in place and has been most of the winter its been so wet !

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my current home club the 90 degree rule is when you have to drop in the first cut of rough at a 90 degree angle from where your ball is on the fairway. Between sets of blue posts. Its a winter rule, instead of using fairway mats, some places Ive seen it you get the choice. Its still in place and has been most of the winter its been so wet !
First time I've ever seen that interpretation.