90 degree rule?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played a local course earlier in the wek, it was very enjoyable but was a long course and carry only so we were all a bit knackered afterwards.

We are thinking of going back when the trolley ban is lifted. I just had a look on their website, and this is today's update -

"Course open. No Buggies. Trolleys allowed. Trolleys MUST stick to fairways and paths at all time. 90 degree rule in force. Thank you"

What is the 90 degree rule? I've never heard of it.

IanMcC

Visit site
Some courses do not allow cutting of corners with teeshots if they think it is dangerous. Wrexham has such a hole.
Im only guessing here though. Could be something wacky!!

sjw

Visit site
Played a local course earlier in the wek, it was very enjoyable but was a long course and carry only so we were all a bit knackered afterwards.

We are thinking of going back when the trolley ban is lifted. I just had a look on their website, and this is today's update -

"Course open. No Buggies. Trolleys allowed. Trolleys MUST stick to fairways and paths at all time. 90 degree rule in force. Thank you"

What is the 90 degree rule? I've never heard of it.
It's when you walk down the side of the fairway with your trolley, until you're level with your ball, and then you leave your trolley and walk at 90 degrees to your ball with the club you want.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's when you walk down the side of the fairway with your trolley, until you're level with your ball, and then you leave your trolley and walk at 90 degrees to your ball with the club you want.
Weird way of referring to it, never heard that before. Most would say no trolleys on fairways or no trolleys past the ropes, stick to the paths etc wouldn't they?

sjw

Visit site
Weird way of referring to it, never heard that before. Most would say no trolleys on fairways or no trolleys past the ropes, stick to the paths etc wouldn't they?
Possibly. I'm just going by what they refer to it at as my club. If there's more than one club calling it that then perhaps it is common

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played courses in Portugal with the 90 degree rule for buggies. You drive down the rough or the buggy path until you get to parallel to your ball. Then you turn at 90 degrees and can drive direct to the ball. Once you play the shot it's either continue straight on to the other side of the hole and use the rough / path there, or do a 180 and get to the rough / path that you left. No driving down the fairway.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played courses in Portugal with the 90 degree rule for buggies. You drive down the rough or the buggy path until you get to parallel to your ball. Then you turn at 90 degrees and can drive direct to the ball. Once you play the shot it's either continue straight on to the other side of the hole and use the rough / path there, or do a 180 and get to the rough / path that you left. No driving down the fairway.
I'd say this is the most relevant otherwise it would simply say "Buggies & trolleys on paths only"

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As others have said common rule for buggies.
Some courses let you ignore if you have a medical need for the buggy and can prove it. Eg Ashbury complex in Devon. You get a flag to display on the buggy so course marshalls can spot it.

We use short green topped white posts and all players must not take trolleys or buggies past the white posts and we have a buggy route in wet conditions.

D

Deleted member 23270

Very common in the States where buggies are the norm. Rare here as we have very few courses built with paths right down the sides of every hole.

NearHull

Visit site
We are using the 90 deg ‘rule‘ this winter as a trial. All Buggy and Trolliy users must keep to the first cut to get to a position that is level with their ball, select a club(s) and walk to the ball and play. We have suspended our normal ‘wet course’ restrictions, which were linked to medical certificates for trolly users. For this trial, all players can use trollies, irrespective of medical conditions/certification, but with restrictions, ie if you cannot carry, and you play with a trolly, you must keep to the 90 deg ‘rule‘.

For clarity, this ‘rule’ is not a Local Rule of Golf.

IanMcC

Visit site
I thought that was common, polite practice when using a buggy. Its a bit like the 'no taking your pants down on the course' rule, I suppose.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think the explanations cover what it is
Because of common use of buggys round these parts the 90 rule will be in force during and immediately after heavy rain

Home club was built with full cart path running 9km alongside every hole and in between each hole, so it's possible for buggys (and importantly GK equipment) to travel the entire course without touching grass at all

Park up level with ball, grab a couple of clubs and walk in, course gets human foot traffic only by players with next to no damage and remains open and playable when it otherwise might have to close or delay reopening

And because of gps in the carts it can b e enacted at anytime by proshop/GK across entire course or on hole by hole basis as its needed and the cart will cut out if you try to drive in a no go area

Very handy

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the explanations cover what it is
Because of common use of buggys round these parts the 90 rule will be in force during and immediately after heavy rain

Home club was built with full cart path running 9km alongside every hole and in between each hole, so it's possible for buggys (and importantly GK equipment) to travel the entire course without touching grass at all

Park up level with ball, grab a couple of clubs and walk in, course gets human foot traffic only by players with next to no damage and remains open and playable when it otherwise might have to close or delay reopening

And because of gps in the carts it can b e enacted at anytime by proshop/GK across entire course or on hole by hole basis as its needed and the cart will cut out if you try to drive in a no go area

Very handy
Oh yes very smart especially if it records such demeanors on their record

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We got a rain check because of buggy restrictions at St Andrews Kittocks because there had been heavy rain and buggies had to stick to paths. ie 90degree rule.
Some fairways were very wide lol.