TV Series - What Are You Watching?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Missed it first time round so watching Borgen, 3 episodes in it's pretty good political drama.
Only issue is the dubbing with every UK accent you can think of?. You know it's Danish set in Copenhagen so they should've used Danes speaking English for the dubbing IMHO.
Wondering if I can get a subtitled version instead.

It's on Netflix with subtitles. You can switch on/ off as you wish

www.hiltonpark.net
Just finished the Queens Gambit, fantastic series on Netflix.
We also binged Borgen on Netflix as well and thought it was great. Apparently Netflix have bought the rights and are resurrecting it for a 4th season.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
started Series 2 of Harlots last night, highly recommended.

tempted to watch Fairly Secret Army in honour of the great Geoffrey Palmer, it was absolutely brilliant.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thinking on foreign language series such as Borgen, or indeed my aforementioned Studio Ghibli films - I think I actually prefer the original soundtrack plus sub-titles rather than dubbed versions.

Started watching one of the SG films last night and switched it from dubbed English to original Japanese with sub-titles. And it just felt ‘right’ and part of the watching experience. Or maybe that only works when the context or setting of the film is specific to the original country - maybe matters less when the story is country agnostic.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
started Series 2 of Harlots last night, highly recommended.

tempted to watch Fairly Secret Army in honour of the great Geoffrey Palmer, it was absolutely brilliant.

Yes Harlots is great fun, Liv Tyler pops up in that too. She seems a bit of a giant compared to the other actors though!

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Caught a few episodes of Tales of the unexpected a few weeks ago (remember watching them many moons ago) , now started watching them from the very first episode, dated but enjoyable ????

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Thinking on foreign language series such as Borgen, or indeed my aforementioned Studio Ghibli films - I think I actually prefer the original soundtrack plus sub-titles rather than dubbed versions.

Started watching one of the SG films last night and switched it from dubbed English to original Japanese with sub-titles. And it just felt ‘right’ and part of the watching experience. Or maybe that only works when the context or setting of the film is specific to the original country - maybe matters less when the story is country agnostic.

I really enjoy a good foreign drama with sub-titles I feel I actually sit watch and switch off, because of the sub-titles, rather than have it on an look at my phone iPad etc I find it much more relaxing

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

With the Ghibli films I don't mind the English versions because it's a cartoon and not obvious that it is dubbed. I've seen them all many times and watched in both original and dubbed. My wife is Japanese and she loves the English version of Howl's Moving Castle, mainly because Howl is voiced by Christian Bale and she loves his voice.

With the Scandi- noir dramas, absolutely only watch in original format with subs. ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I much prefer original language and subtitles. I won't watch dubbed stuff.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Always enjoy Parks and Recreation but yesterday I saw an episode which ended with Ron Swanson visiting the Lagavulin Distillery and reading Robbie Burns “O, Were My Love Yon Lilac Fair“. Then he started tearing up at the end! Brilliant TV!

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just finished the Queens Gambit, fantastic series on Netflix.
We also binged Borgen on Netflix as well and thought it was great. Apparently Netflix have bought the rights and are resurrecting it for a 4th season.
Really enjoyed The Queen’s Gambit, it’s really well made. I didn’t think chess could get me so engrossed, but was excellently done.