TV licence.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone cancelled theirs ? £159 a year for the boss to watch EastEnders is not vfm.

Just been on the website and it's not obvious how you do it. It's more like a request to cancel...

If you don't watch BBC or BBC iPlayer that's it isn't it ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
BII've been wanting to do this for years. I can't get the wife to agree. The BIG problem is that to watch ANY TV AT THE TIME OF BROADCAST you need a licence. I think that covers it. Anything that is on catch up you do not need a licence.

Mandofred

Visit site
£159 for a TV licence? It's far too low. I would willingly sell my house and all its contents to help the BBC

NTNON - 1981.
Not any more I wouldn't. Some of the crap they put out these days is....well....crap. If I want crap, I'll watch......well......tv in general. If I could just do away with the license and not watch any BBC....I'd do it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not any more I wouldn't. Some of the crap they put out these days is....well....crap. If I want crap, I'll watch......well......tv in general. If I could just do away with the license and not watch any BBC....I'd do it.

It wrong that we are now paying to watch any "live" TV when only the BBC get the money. Apparently loads have stopped paying the licence and the BBC have lost millions in revenue. I'm just not brave enough. Has anyone on here stopped paying?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed. But have you done it?

I've filled out the online form and had a reply back from them saying they are overwhelmed and will get back to me.
It s not like any other service where you can barter to get a price you're happy to pay.
Th e quality of service has gone down and the price gone up.

GuyInLyon

Visit site
Anyone cancelled theirs ? £159 a year for the boss to watch EastEnders is not vfm.
I live in France and would gladly pay the BBC's license fee to have access to the programing that the BBC produces.
Charge me £159 a year for iPlayer!
I'll pay it and there are probably tens of millions of people all over the world that would do the same.

Mandofred

Visit site
I live in France and would gladly pay the BBC's license fee to have access to the programing that the BBC produces.
Charge me £159 a year for iPlayer!
I'll pay it and there are probably tens of millions of people all over the world that would do the same.
Absolutely agree. Not me however......there is almost nothing from the BBC we watch. With the options we have.....the BBC is rarely a choice we pick. I would just like to have the option to choose.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So basically any live terrestrial TV.

That comments makes me think you did not read the link given by mikevet in#2

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.
note the stream in the second sentence so if from other posts if you are watching Netflix you are watching a streamed service.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've filled out the online form and had a reply back from them saying they are overwhelmed and will get back to me.
It s not like any other service where you can barter to get a price you're happy to pay.
Th e quality of service has gone down and the price gone up.

So filling in the form putting yourself on the radar for the old checking service to catch you.. letting it just run out might have been better

But then it's £159 a year not a month

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That comments makes me think you did not read the link given by mikevet in#2

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.
note the stream in the second sentence so if from other posts if you are watching Netflix you are watching a streamed service.

Slightly wrong there .. it says live TV via those services .. so no netflix would be fine as it isn't live

But Amazon for example does the sport

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slightly wrong there .. it says live TV via those services .. so no netflix would be fine as it isn't live

But Amazon for example does the sport

To me it is about you read 'live' in the sentence.

To me that means as they are being shown E.g some of their serial series such as The Crown.

From later in the article

Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on any online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music. It covers all programmes on any channel, including soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Netflix and Amazon Prime are Ok without a licence as they are not streamed live - they are on demand services. But remember that stuff like Sky Sports / BT Sport (and I dare say plenty of other channels) which stream stuff as its happening do still need a licence.

D

Deleted member 15344

To me it is about you read 'live' in the sentence.

To me that means as they are being shown E.g some of their serial series such as The Crown.

From later in the article

Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on any online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music. It covers all programmes on any channel, including soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

You don’t need to TV licence if you are only watching Netflix
Streaming the Crown and watching via Netflix it is not classed as Live TV

If it was being broadcast on ITV and you were watching it via ITV player then that’s Live TV