The Whisky Thread

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
So I was up in Moray playing in the Moray open last week and, on an off day I thought I'd do a distillery tour. Done one before so wasn't overly interested in the actual brewing process but, Benriach do a tour highlighting some of their wine/sherry cask bottlings along with a tutored tasting, comparing the whisky, with the wine from the barrel it was aged in (including some food pairings).

So, in order we had...

1) an 11yo Moscatel cask
2) a 25yo Claret cask
3) a 23yo Madeira cask
4) a smoked 27yo Oloroso Sherry cask
5) a 34yo Pedro Ximenez Sherry cask

They were indeed all excellent but sadly not one of these were available to buy. The Pedro Ximenez was magnificent if you like your Whisky full of rich fruit, chocolate and nuts, I also really enjoyed the Madeira cask closely followed by the smoked Oloroso. The Moscatel was interesting as well (and thats unfair to leave the Claret last as it too was very tasty). It was interesting comparing the base wine with the aged whisky and picking out the flavours contributed by the wine. The smoky notes of the Oloroso (and indeed all of the smoked Benriach whiskys) were a lot more BBQ like than the phenolic medicinal seaweedy smoke that you get with the Islay malts....aparrently this is de to the peat which is drier and more earthy in the Speyside region.

I ended up buying myself a more youthful 14yo offering of the Pedro Ximenez....still cost me more than I'm letting on to the wife!!!whisky1.jpgwhisky2.jpg

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So I was up in Moray playing in the Moray open last week and, on an off day I thought I'd do a distillery tour. Done one before so wasn't overly interested in the actual brewing process but, Benriach do a tour highlighting some of their wine/sherry cask bottlings along with a tutored tasting, comparing the whisky, with the wine from the barrel it was aged in (including some food pairings).

So, in order we had...

1) an 11yo Moscatel cask
2) a 25yo Claret cask
3) a 23yo Madeira cask
4) a smoked 27yo Oloroso Sherry cask
5) a 34yo Pedro Ximenez Sherry cask

They were indeed all excellent but sadly not one of these were available to buy. The Pedro Ximenez was magnificent if you like your Whisky full of rich fruit, chocolate and nuts, I also really enjoyed the Madeira cask closely followed by the smoked Oloroso. The Moscatel was interesting as well (and thats unfair to leave the Claret last as it too was very tasty). It was interesting comparing the base wine with the aged whisky and picking out the flavours contributed by the wine. The smoky notes of the Oloroso (and indeed all of the smoked Benriach whiskys) were a lot more BBQ like than the phenolic medicinal seaweedy smoke that you get with the Islay malts....aparrently this is de to the peat which is drier and more earthy in the Speyside region.

I ended up buying myself a more youthful 14yo offering of the Pedro Ximenez....still cost me more than I'm letting on to the wife!!!View attachment 48768View attachment 48769
Playing Royal Stewart at the end of the month, staying in Andersier for a couple of nights. Any tips on the course👍

You can respond when your sober 😁👍

did a rum tasting tour in Mauritius last month. I was driving 😖

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing Royal Stewart at the end of the month, staying in Andersier for a couple of nights. Any tips on the course👍

You can respond when your sober 😁👍

did a rum tasting tour in Mauritius last month. I was driving 😖
any tips on which course?

If you meant Castle Stuart then I'm afraid I've never played it (I take it you meant you were staying in Ardersier which is close to CS)

Tashyboy

Visit site
As part of Tashyboys endeavours to enlighten himself to different cultures. He has ended up this last week in Normandie with Missis Tash, SIL And BIL. We have done the cemeteries and other military museums. The Tapestry in Bayeaux and had some glorious food. Today was a long drive for Tash up to Honfluer and Deauville and bottom line they are simply stunning places.
However Last Tuesday was a trip to Cherbourg, and putting it bluntly it’s a dump. So my plan B was a drive do Barfluer. A gorgeous little place. On the way back To Longues sur Mer ( our Gite base). I did a little coastal detour. It took us to a town called Saint- vaast- La -Houngue. It was there that I found the drinkers Zanadu purely by accident. I was gobsmacked to find a lovely bottle of Ron Zacapa Negra for €69 which included 2 x Tulip glasses. It’s a steal and I needed a bigger head I was smiling that much. It has just about everything one needs inc whisky, rum, gins, wine etc.
If ever your in the area. 😁👍

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
So up on Islay and did the 1/2 day Laphroaig tour.

Highly recommended. Welcome dram followed by an intro and a full tour of the distillery from the malt floor to the ovens, to the smoke rooms to the sills and the peat store.

Then a short hike to the source of the water they use where we had a really top notch lunch, with the best tomato soup ever.

3 different drams on the walk then back to base for the tasting, walked past my 1ft x 1ft plot of land. Rent duly claimed in the form of a miniature bottle.

Into warehouse 1 where we tasted 3 more including a couple of rare exclusives and we each filled a 200ml bottle with our favourite

Got a bottle of Lore which was my favourite on the walk

Really good day hic 🥃🥃🥃😎

Tashyboy

Visit site
So up on Islay and did the 1/2 day Laphroaig tour.

Highly recommended. Welcome dram followed by an intro and a full tour of the distillery from the malt floor to the ovens, to the smoke rooms to the sills and the peat store.

Then a short hike to the source of the water they use where we had a really top notch lunch, with the best tomato soup ever.

3 different drams on the walk then back to base for the tasting, walked past my 1ft x 1ft plot of land. Rent duly claimed in the form of a miniature bottle.

Into warehouse 1 where we tasted 3 more including a couple of rare exclusives and we each filled a 200ml bottle with our favourite

Got a bottle of Lore which was my favourite on the walk

Really good day hic 🥃🥃🥃😎
Chuffed you have had a good un, me finks you and Doon will be Bessie pals now. Pics of you in a kilt please 😉