The Current Cinema Debate

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately most (not all) who are slightly anti-cinema probably haven’t been to one in 5-10 years.

Last 3 emails from Vue

Star wars tickets

Jumanji tickets

Cancelled bond tickets

I enjoy going cinema but they are the architects of their own downfall

3 Vue near us. One is £6 a ticket one is £5 the other is £10 a ticket

Always go to the £5 one as it's tucked out the way and also why pay the more to see the same movie in the same cinema set up

Cineworld has the best model £15.70 month movie ticket .. many movies as you want

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
trouble is now most are big multiplex and most of the small independant cimema's have been driven out and its all about block busters.

We used to make great small indendant films, now its all about big budget block busters

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you think cinema has priced itself out of the entertainment market then you probably need to get out more; 2 hours at the cinema with a reasonable guarantee of being entertained, £15; 90 minutes Premier League football with no guarantee of entertainment, starting at £50 for a decent seat; 2 hours at a West End show, starting at £75 for a decent seat. And if you are a regular cinema goer most chains have a season ticket type scheme that will reduce that £15 considerably. Hardly pricing themselves out of the market.

And you’ve always been able to take your own snacks in.
You've never been able to take your own snacks. Try walking in the cinema with a bag of tescos own popcorn. They're just not permitted to search you any more

I agree that £15 isn't a fortune but a family of 4 can easily rack up £60 to £70 for a movie. Easer to save that money and get a dogy copy or download.
But like you said a premier league match would be certainly be alot more yet that's OK?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is though, as far as new releases go, streaming has not shown that it works either. The live action Mulan was released on streaming during lockdown and so you would think that was the perfect circumstance and yet it has made nowhere near the money of a cinema release. Whether it is your cup of tea or not, clearly quite a few people still like to go and watch a film at the Cinema.

My local cinema does kids films on Saturday morning for a quid, meercat movies etc so plenty of ways to make it cheaper.

As for the cost of snacks, yes they are high but name one venue with a captive audience where they are not.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm a dinosaur. For me it was the big widescreen experience and the 'B' movie first. And then as the big, single screen cinemas started to fail and the multiplexes came in it became one film and a quicker turn around.

At the end of the day sit nearer or further away - and yes, it worked for me, especially as it meant not losing a whole evening, part of it on a poor 'B' movie. But in our last few years in the UK we stopped going, even though we'd always been cinema goers. Why? People chattering away behind us. People's phones buzzing every few minutes. People answering their mobile and holding a conversation.

We rarely went and watched a blockbuster release in the first couple of weeks, preferring to leave it till it was a little quieter. But seriously folks, do I really want to listen to your conversation with your mates, arranging your next pee-up, or your phone buzzing every few minutes with a text message. Just like golf, if you need to look at your mobile every 5 minutes, its ruling your life not improving it.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
As soon as something is streamed it is available to download for free within hours, and that’s why a lot of places won’t want to stream their content in preference to the cinema - Lost revenue from piracy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our local Vue is £4.99 7 days a week. £20 for a family of 4 for a few hours entertainment, bargain.

You can use a Meerkat voucher Mon-Wed as well so 2 for 1 those days. No issue taking food in, the only stipulation is you can not take hot food or drink in. Seems fair to me.

There is an independent nearby in a local town, a very strong one in Newcastle as well. Give a good product in the right surroundings and they will do well.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our local Vue is £4.99 7 days a week. £20 for a family of 4 for a few hours entertainment, bargain.

You can use a Meerkat voucher Mon-Wed as well so 2 for 1 those days. No issue taking food in, the only stipulation is you can not take hot food or drink in. Seems fair to me.

There is an independent nearby in a local town, a very strong one in Newcastle as well. Give a good product in the right surroundings and they will do well.

Only after years of overpricing and losing customers have they gone to this measure which companies are finally learning.. charge less and you will sell more and make more money

D

Deleted member 16999

Last 3 emails from Vue

Star wars tickets

Jumanji tickets

Cancelled bond tickets

I enjoy going cinema but they are the architects of their own downfall

3 Vue near us. One is £6 a ticket one is £5 the other is £10 a ticket

Always go to the £5 one as it's tucked out the way and also why pay the more to see the same movie in the same cinema set up

Cineworld has the best model £15.70 month movie ticket .. many movies as you want
I know all about Cineworld as I am a member of their scheme! Not sure about the rest of your reply as I clearly stated most (not all) are anti cinema.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only after years of overpricing and losing customers have they gone to this measure which companies are finally learning.. charge less and you will sell more and make more money
We definitely went more when they changed to this pricing structure. We are prepared to take a gamble on a film when it is £5 a ticket. At £10 each we would only go when it was something we really wanted to see.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is, even of you take the cinema as an occasional treat, you have families that have not had a break for much of the year and half term is approaching. Release a couple of big films now and the cinemas will be as full as they are allowed and get some much needed revenue.

I guess the original post was not whether cinema still has its place but rather they mad situation that studios are slowly suffocating their own distribution chain by refusing to release new product for them to get people back in the seats again.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm a dinosaur. For me it was the big widescreen experience and the 'B' movie first. And then as the big, single screen cinemas started to fail and the multiplexes came in it became one film and a quicker turn around.

At the end of the day sit nearer or further away - and yes, it worked for me, especially as it meant not losing a whole evening, part of it on a poor 'B' movie. But in our last few years in the UK we stopped going, even though we'd always been cinema goers. Why? People chattering away behind us. People's phones buzzing every few minutes. People answering their mobile and holding a conversation.

We rarely went and watched a blockbuster release in the first couple of weeks, preferring to leave it till it was a little quieter. But seriously folks, do I really want to listen to your conversation with your mates, arranging your next pee-up, or your phone buzzing every few minutes with a text message. Just like golf, if you need to look at your mobile every 5 minutes, its ruling your life not improving it.
Sorry Bri, up until the lockdown me and my lad went to pictures anywhere up to 6 times a month, always at different times, I don’t believe in that time we have been distracted by anyone talking on their phone or chattering away.

Staff are far more conscious these days and any anti-social behaviour is immediately dealt with if seen.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is, even of you take the cinema as an occasional treat, you have families that have not had a break for much of the year and half term is approaching. Release a couple of big films now and the cinemas will be as full as they are allowed and get some much needed revenue.

I guess the original post was not whether cinema still has its place but rather they mad situation that studios are slowly suffocating their own distribution chain by refusing to release new product for them to get people back in the seats again.
I can understand why the massive films have not been released but I would have thought it could be a great time to release smaller films. People are keen to get out and may go to see a film they would otherwise not touch just because it is the only one in town. Surely Bill Nighy or Maggie Smith have a film in the can :D, they seem to do a few each year. Joking apart, I would have thought some small film makers would have taken the risk. Films that normally would never have got into the mulitplex system could suddenly have had a captive audience.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We definitely went more when they changed to this pricing structure. We are prepared to take a gamble on a film when it is £5 a ticket. At £10 each we would only go when it was something we really wanted to see.

When the wife and I were dating my health insurance gave me one free movie ticket a week. We then would buy another ticket which would work out £8 for both of us to go movies every week. The amount of rubbish movies we watched just because it was cheap and was a night out

I know it's different now (pre covid) as we got kids but we don't bother unless it's a big movie ..

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Aren't these two things at odds with each other? If everyone's wearing a mask they can't be eating and drinking. Or it means if you buy food and drink you don't have to wear the mask after all? Which is it? I don't know why wearing a mask is such a deal breaker for you, or anyone else. Just buy a more comfortable mask? I have to wear one for an hour on my driving lessons currently, I just bought a comfortable fabric one and it's not a problem.

It’s true, you don’t have to wear a covering if your eating and drinking which is the same rule everywhere.
But I don’t eat in the Cinema, I find it rude and annoying.

As for masks without debating, I simply do not want to wear one so I don’t go to places where they are required.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can understand why the massive films have not been released but I would have thought it could be a great time to release smaller films. People are keen to get out and may go to see a film they would otherwise not touch just because it is the only one in town. Surely Bill Nighy or Maggie Smith have a film in the can :D, they seem to do a few each year. Joking apart, I would have thought some small film makers would have taken the risk. Films that normally would never have got into the mulitplex system could suddenly have had a captive audience.

Agreed but I still feel that they need a film to get people going back and get over the hurdle of going back to watch a film in a cinema. Bond would have been just that or even Black Widow over half term. Looks like Dune may be held back for a year now as well.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing you cant ignore that on this thread alone at least 50% don't like the cinema. You can jazz it up as much as you like but given a cinema alternative half the people reading this will take it. If that's not trouble for the industry then what is!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
One thing you cant ignore that on this thread alone at least 50% don't like the cinema. You can jazz it up as much as you like but given a cinema alternative half the people reading this will take it. If that's not trouble for the industry then what is!

They were a great place to go to see a film before the days of high speed Internet and high definition. I used to go every week.
Offers nothing of value anymore. Big screen TVs are realistic money and everyone’s got one, Netflix and Amazon preloaded on most new TV’s.
I can get fresh made desserts and takeaways delivered at the touch of a button without talking to anyone. Everything at home is such a convenience that leaving becomes an inconvenience.