The great drive for dough putt for show debate thread.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes, often a long way into the cabbage and those were the weeks he was nowhere to be seen. Hoylake was the classic example, 71 irons off the tee and gave up so much distance to the rest of the field but he kept it in play and won comfortably.
But his long game was excellent with those irons off the tee.

He also went 72 hole at St Andrews
Without going in a bunker, so v’accurate then as well.

D

Deleted member 23270

Yes it was but he was giving up a lot of distance off the tee and could still win but when his driver was misbehaving he struggled.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, often a long way into the cabbage and those were the weeks he was nowhere to be seen. Hoylake was the classic example, 71 irons off the tee and gave up so much distance to the rest of the field but he kept it in play and won comfortably.

He hit his 3 wood on occasion. Wasn't all irons off the tee.

CountLippe

Visit site

I've heard a few pro's say he was the only player in the field good enough to be hitting 4 irons into greens which is why he could leave the driver in the bag.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So today Tash put his drive on the SI 17th green and promptly won the nearest the pin. It was about 18-20 ft from the pin. I knocked my putt 2ft past the hole, it missed by a whisker. I promptly pulled my next putt and put it 2ft past. Suffice to say my putt for a point lipped out. At that point the air was blue.
Anyway in the clubhouse it never went unnoticed. One of the lads said “ I thought the old saying was drive for show putt for dough”. Well I proved that one wrong. 😖