The Current Cinema Debate

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is a depressing post. I'm sure you are right, it just does not bode well going forwards.

I agree. That said, they need the distribution that cinemas give. I can see some of the major players swooping in to pick up some larger chains on the cheap and thus control the distribution as well as the production. The cynic in me can see a deliberate angle in starving cinemas of content to allow a cheap purchase later on.

I agree that people like going to the cinema but if there are no new films for another 6 months (some of the Xmas releases are now being rumoured as delayed for up to a year) then I just cannot see how they can survive.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Imo most people only go to the cinema because they are exited to watch that new film "now" and don't want to wait 6 months for the dvd. Give people the option to stream it from the comfort of your sofa......... Cinemas wouldn't see the year out

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Imo most people only go to the cinema because they are exited to watch that new film "now" and don't want to wait 6 months for the dvd. Give people the option to stream it from the comfort of your sofa......... Cinemas wouldn't see the year out
Going to the cinema is entirely different. The screen is bigger, the sound better. You can immerse yourself in the film, cut off from the outside world. It is an experience that is elevated above watching the same film in your living room.

Is it not also nice just to get out, do something else? Just because lots of things can be done at home doesn't mean that people always want to. I can eat at home, drink at home. That doesn't mean I don't want to go to a cafe, pub, restaurant etc

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Going to the cinema is entirely different. The screen is bigger, the sound better. You can immerse yourself in the film, cut off from the outside world. It is an experience that is elevated above watching the same film in your living room.

Is it not also nice just to get out, do something else? Just because lots of things can be done at home doesn't mean that people always want to. I can eat at home, drink at home. That doesn't mean I don't want to go to a cafe, pub, restaurant etc
I agree with what you've said. But not all people need to "immerse" themselves in a film. Also, I don't think smelling someone's cheesy natchos and listening to rustling is cutting myself off from the outside world. Quite the opposite.
I personally don't enjoy a movie more because I'm sat in the cinema.
I get that some people like the cinema and why they like it but give people the option not to go and I think you'll find there's not enough left to keep cinema's afloat

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really wanted to see Tenet but face masks in Cinemas? No thanks. The new Top Gun is due out soon, really excited to see how that gets ruined but with the restrictions in place I won’t be going. Best for me to wait till it’s on sky, or somebody uploads a copy on the net.

Streaming is the future. I’ve got a 4K tv that comes out the end of my bed and I can instantly watch whatever film I wish.
Just yesterday I wanted to watch Good Will Hunting as I’d not seen it in a while.
Rented it on sky for £3.49.

Days are numbered for sitting in a packed out screen hoping nobody sits next to you loudly scoffing and slurping overpriced food and drink.
Aren't these two things at odds with each other? If everyone's wearing a mask they can't be eating and drinking. Or it means if you buy food and drink you don't have to wear the mask after all? Which is it? I don't know why wearing a mask is such a deal breaker for you, or anyone else. Just buy a more comfortable mask? I have to wear one for an hour on my driving lessons currently, I just bought a comfortable fabric one and it's not a problem.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That's the thing, big teles are anything but absurdly expensive. Have look on richersounds, while some are many 000s you can also get a 75inch for under £900 . I'd agree some are way to big for the room they are in.
Under £900? They are giving them away. Some may be bit most cost stupid money. And 75” ? What sort of house do you have that such a TV wouldn’t dominate the room ?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you're right for a lot of people, maybe the majority. I rarely ever went to the cinema, the only times I did were for films that I was really looking forward to and wanted to see as soon as they come out. As you say, a lot of people's reasons for not going to see a film will be "no it's ok - I can wait for it to come out on Prime/Netflix".

I don't know, I guess I'm not a huge cinephile but seeing it at the cinema just makes it a bigger screen (but you're further away from it) and louder, but for things like comedies which are my favourite genre, that doesn't really enhance it a lot. Quite happy to watch a comedy on my 60 inch telly at home. Certain action films it enhances it a bit, but as hovis said, the convenience of just sticking it on at home and not having to go out, I think it's an easy win.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That is a depressing post. I'm sure you are right, it just does not bode well going forwards.
A bit like the EPL and TV. Who needs spectators? Not long before Man Utd vs Liverpool is being played at 3am for the US market and next week Spurs vs Arsenal at 8am for the Far East market. What was unthinkable because of a historical constraint becomes very thinkable when the constraint disappears and the unthinkable is being done...Football without spectators anyone? The other side of the same coin being new constraints make the unthinkable thinkable...ie no cinema...

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A bit like the EPL and TV. Who needs spectators? Not long before Man Utd vs Liverpool is being played at 3am for the US market and next week Spurs vs Arsenal at 8am for the Far East market. What was unthinkable because of a historical constraint becomes very thinkable when the constraint disappears and the unthinkable is being done...Football without spectators. The other side of the same coin being new constraints make the unthinkable thinkable...ie no cinema...
I think the current situation has probably put that decision back years. Nobody likes empty grounds, no atmosphere. This period is proving how important spectators are to the game.

Back to cinema, clearly the unthinkable could happen, cinemas could dispappear, but I think the moment we can flood back in, without restrictions, cinemas will have a bumper time of it. They just need to be some around to show the films! On that front I think GB72 is right, the studios may start to cherry pick cinema chains on the cheap so that they can control their product from start to finish.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A bit like the EPL and TV. Who needs spectators? Not long before Man Utd vs Liverpool is being played at 3am for the US market and next week Spurs vs Arsenal at 8am for the Far East market. What was unthinkable because of a historical constraint becomes very thinkable when the constraint disappears and the unthinkable is being done...Football without spectators. The other side of the same coin being new constraints make the unthinkable thinkable...ie no cinema...
But it won't always be like that. At some point we'll get to a point where Covid is less prevalent and like it or not clubs still rely on fans, especially the further down the pyramid you go and so if national league and league one and two are letting fans in you can guarantee the PL will want the cash income from fans too. There is no way they will move to silly kick off times to pander to a foreign market when they still have a massive need for Sky and BT to be able to show games in the UK at "normal" times. Anyhow think this is going off on a tangent now.

It depends on your viewing habits. We have a 60 inch TV on the long wall off the front room and sit at the other side by the window and it is a perfect distance. We haven't gone down the sound bar route but I know neighbours that have and so with that, watching any film on DVD/TV is definitely enhanced with the better sound. I guess it begs the point that unless you are desperate to see a new release in full screen, full volume when it comes out, you are maybe better of waiting a few months and enjoying it in the comfort of your own house

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the current situation has probably put that decision back years. Nobody likes empty grounds, no atmosphere. This period is proving how important spectators are to the game.

Back to cinema, clearly the unthinkable could happen, cinemas could dispappear, but I think the moment we can flood back in, without restrictions, cinemas will have a bumper time of it. They just need to be some around to show the films! On that front I think GB72 is right, the studios may start to cherry pick cinema chains on the cheap so that they can control their product from start to finish.
I’d hope you are correct - but the current situation shows that it is possible to have decent games without spectators...Not that I am bothered as I have only very rarely watched.

on cinema. We will always go. We don’t go that often but do have periods when we go quite regularly. It’s a night out for us...Often combining with a meal.

we do have what we consider a huge TV - 43” - on a wall of our back room. With our decent sound bar we get a good viewing and listening experience.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you got the sound system to go with it? I have a large screen and 5.1 sound.
Imax is 22 x 16 metres, that's a big screen experience.

Yeah, 7.1 sound is provided from a Denon AVR-X receiver through KEF T-Series (T-301 all round plus 2 KEF CI50R in the Ceiling about midway and the KEF T2 sub) which provides an excellent all round experience.

I don't need a 22m screen. As I am not sitting in an amphitheatre but a room that's only 5m x 4m, it's all relative.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It’s not just the big budget films. A film has been made based on the story of the racehorse I had a share in called Dream Horse starring Damien Lewis and Toni Colette. It was originally due to be released on 17th April and got postponed to 4th September. That date came and went and now there is no planned release date.

Fortunately I got to see a screening through Sky VIP a couple of weeks prior to lockdown. It’s a film in the vein of Calendar Girls or The Full Monty, which would provide some fun light entertainment in the current climate.

Didn't they make a documentary about Dream Alliance a few years ago and it that was meant to be very good. Never got round to watching the doc but I will seek it out.

I think a cinema experience with a decent screen and sound is a much better experience than the best home cinema. There is the communal element of watching a comedy when everyone is laughing, or gasping at a horror/thriller/action movie which you can't replicate at home.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

But it won't always be like that. At some point we'll get to a point where Covid is less prevalent and like it or not clubs still rely on fans, especially the further down the pyramid you go and so if national league and league one and two are letting fans in you can guarantee the PL will want the cash income from fans too. There is no way they will move to silly kick off times to pander to a foreign market when they still have a massive need for Sky and BT to be able to show games in the UK at "normal" times. Anyhow think this is going off on a tangent now.

It depends on your viewing habits. We have a 60 inch TV on the long wall off the front room and sit at the other side by the window and it is a perfect distance. We haven't gone down the sound bar route but I know neighbours that have and so with that, watching any film on DVD/TV is definitely enhanced with the better sound. I guess it begs the point that unless you are desperate to see a new release in full screen, full volume when it comes out, you are maybe better of waiting a few months and enjoying it in the comfort of your own house
It’s not about being desperate to see a movie though is it! Part of it is the night out or meeting friends etc, using your logic you could close every pub and just buy alcohol from a shop and drink at home.

Prior to Covid cinemas were doing well and Companies were opening in new areas, it’s ok not to be interested in going to the movies, but there’s lots of reasons people do go and enjoy going.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It’s not about being desperate to see a movie though is it! Part of it is the night out or meeting friends etc, using your logic you could close every pub and just buy alcohol from a shop and drink at home.

Prior to Covid cinemas were doing well and Companies were opening in new areas, it’s ok not to be interested in going to the movies, but there’s lots of reasons people do go and enjoy going.

Dont forget to close all the restaurant seating areas and just get deliveroo instead of eating out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Same old people trotting out lines. I refer you to post #18 where I said cinema going isn't something I do and it isn't for me and that I hope cinemas can find a way to get through the problems. Personally I'd rather wait for it to come to TV or watch the DVD. Nothing more than personal choice but you crack on and keep posting the jibes. Petty and sad and adding nothing......not for the first time

D

Deleted member 16999

Same old people trotting out lines. I refer you to post #18 where I said cinema going isn't something I do and it isn't for me and that I hope cinemas can find a way to get through the problems. Personally I'd rather wait for it to come to TV or watch the DVD. Nothing more than personal choice but you crack on and keep posting the jibes. Petty and sad and adding nothing......not for the first time
Rubbish! How about answering the direct point you made in post #31 were you accussed some of being desperate! You raised the bar! No issue whatsoever with post #18.

Once again you’ve mouthed off and can’t back it up and resort to making it about the posters rather than the post.