The SNIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Aye but you are only kidding as you know that some decisions made at UK level impact funding to Holyrood ;)

Many, many things decided in Westminster impact funding in Scotland. However, if it falls within the remit of Westminster, tough. Personally, I believe Scotland should be independent. The reasons for the Act of Union are long since gone, ergo either leave or shut up. The vote said stay = shut up. You can't keep running to Westminster every time something doesn't go your way otherwise with the current crew you'd be there every 5 minutes.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many, many things decided in Westminster impact funding in Scotland. However, if it falls within the remit of Westminster, tough. Personally, I believe Scotland should be independent. The reasons for the Act of Union are long since gone, ergo either leave or shut up. The vote said stay = shut up. You can't keep running to Westminster every time something doesn't go your way otherwise with the current crew you'd be there every 5 minutes.

If it were up to me I'd have cut them loose years ago, and all funding. Thing is, BJ doesn't seem to want to. Why is that?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it were up to me I'd have cut them loose years ago, and all funding. Thing is, BJ doesn't seem to want to. Why is that?

Perhaps because the majority of people in Scotland (ignore recent "polls" funded by independence supporters) are in favour of the union.
There is a mutually beneficial relationship between all parts of the UK.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A quick look at these figures gives the Scotgov view of public finances.
https://www.gov.scot/publications/government-expenditure-revenue-scotland-gers/
@Doon frae Troon . Thoughts on this?

https://www.snp.org/gers-figures-explained/

https://www.scotfact.com/towards-an-english-gers

BTW.......I have just bought you a new Ferrari as my friends and I think you need one.
The terms and conditions of how you repay the costs to me are in the post.
Say thank you as you would not have been able to do this without my help.

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
So polling now consistently above 50% for Yes to the independence question, including one poll this week putting Yes on 55%, No on 45% - with Yes still winning even if all don't knows fell to the No side. (Yes 51%, no 42%, DK 7%).

SNP also polling well above 50%, which is remarkable 13 years into office.

I feel the die was cast when the UK Gov elected to plough ahead with a 'hard Brexit' in order to appease the right of their party and win seats in Brexit supporting parts of England. The Scottish position was rejected at every turn with zero attempt made to compromise or 'find a solution'. The Tories chose short term electoral success ahead of long term constitutional certainty.

Since then, the UK Government have looked increasingly incompetent compared with the Scottish government. in reality there hasn't been huge differences between the approaches to Covid and the Exams problems, but each time the Scottish Government are in trouble, they fess up, face the music and the UK Government bail them out with greater levels of incompetence.

UK Gov problems multiplied with the Cummings scandal, and who knows what is to come through this winter as Brexit moved back up the agenda.

So in short, the stars are aligning for a huge democratic mandate next May to have another referendum and this time Yes will likely begin by being well ahead in the polls, as opposed to 15% to 20% behind last time.

Clearly there are issues in terms of the currency, EU membership and for a 'leap of faith' element to this vote - but the No side are going to have much much less substance to their campaign this time around, given the water that has flowed under the constitutional bridge since 2014. Remember in 2014, the political background was that the Tories couldn't win a majority at Westminster and with Scottish votes, Ed Miliband could be PM in 6 months (the SNP had 6 Westminster seats in 2014). Since then the Tories have won 2 majorities and Labour have lost 4 elections in a row.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So polling now consistently above 50% for Yes to the independence question, including one poll this week putting Yes on 55%, No on 45% - with Yes still winning even if all don't knows fell to the No side. (Yes 51%, no 42%, DK 7%).

SNP also polling well above 50%, which is remarkable 13 years into office.

I feel the die was cast when the UK Gov elected to plough ahead with a 'hard Brexit' in order to appease the right of their party and win seats in Brexit supporting parts of England. The Scottish position was rejected at every turn with zero attempt made to compromise or 'find a solution'. The Tories chose short term electoral success ahead of long term constitutional certainty.

Since then, the UK Government have looked increasingly incompetent compared with the Scottish government. in reality there hasn't been huge differences between the approaches to Covid and the Exams problems, but each time the Scottish Government are in trouble, they fess up, face the music and the UK Government bail them out with greater levels of incompetence.

UK Gov problems multiplied with the Cummings scandal, and who knows what is to come through this winter as Brexit moved back up the agenda.

So in short, the stars are aligning for a huge democratic mandate next May to have another referendum and this time Yes will likely begin by being well ahead in the polls, as opposed to 15% to 20% behind last time.

Clearly there are issues in terms of the currency, EU membership and for a 'leap of faith' element to this vote - but the No side are going to have much much less substance to their campaign this time around, given the water that has flowed under the constitutional bridge since 2014. Remember in 2014, the political background was that the Tories couldn't win a majority at Westminster and with Scottish votes, Ed Miliband could be PM in 6 months (the SNP had 6 Westminster seats in 2014). Since then the Tories have won 2 majorities and Labour have lost 4 elections in a row.

Thinking to the Holyrood elections in May - and even forward to a possible IndyRef2 - I'm thinking of how the Conservatives might choose to utilise the great persuasive communicative skills of Johnson and the convincing arguments that his ministers will be able to present. Seems a somewhat tricky one for Cummings to ponder upon

In the context of an Indyref2 held in the current parliament with Johnson as PM, you'd expect a Westminster Conservative and Unionist government to be campaigning flat out in Scotland for the Union. But it's at least debatable whether or not his and their presence would actually benefit the unionist side. But if they didn't campaign, what would that then say to the Scottish electorate...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You had your once in a life time vote, what 5 years ago? Surely you won't get another one for at least 15 years?
Was there something in the referendum bill that said that it was once in a lifetime - not to be repeated for 20yrs or whatever. If not then a week is a long time in politics.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You had your once in a life time vote, what 5 years ago? Surely you won't get another one for at least 15 years?

Oh dear:mad: [is that a gammon face?]...........btw 6 years ago now.

Support for Independence now running at 55% to 45%.
Interesting numbers because after the first referendum that was considered to be a HUGE runaway winning margin by some.;)

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Oh dear:mad: [is that a gammon face?]...........btw 6 years ago now.

Support for Independence now running at 55% to 45%.
Interesting numbers because after the first referendum that was considered to be a HUGE runaway winning margin by some.;)

I asked two questions that makes me a gammon?
Happy for you to have another vote if the whole of the UK gets to vote aswell. If not you've had your vote get on with it.

I'd vote for remain, but I know a lot of people who'd vote out and wave you on your merry way.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Happy for you to have another vote if the whole of the UK gets to vote aswell. If not you've had your vote get on with it.

I'd vote for remain, but I know a lot of people who'd vote out and wave you on your merry way.

Not two of the most sensible questions though were they.

What has this do do with folk living on the sunny south coast of England.
Is it not up to the Scots to decide if they want independence or not
Does the UK intend to keep Scotland prisoners against the wishes of their people. Like Ireland, Australia, India, South Africa, Canada, New Zealand, Jamaica, USA, Etc etc etc etc etc.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Not two of the most sensible questions though were they.

What has this do do with folk living on the sunny south coast of England.
Is it not up to the Scots to decide if they want independence or not
Does the UK intend to keep Scotland prisoners against the wishes of their people. Like Ireland, Australia, India, South Africa, Canada, New Zealand, Jamaica, USA, Etc etc etc etc etc.

Surely Scotland leaving effects the UK as a whole. So why shouldn't I get a say?

Not too sure your history is right though. Thought USA was very independent.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

An all-UK vote on Scotland's place in the union is another load of nonsense if you think about it for a moment or two. And so Scotland voted to Remain and rUK voted for Scotland to Leave? You can't kick a country out of the UK against the will of it's electorate (notwithstanding Scotland being dragged out of the EU against it's will despite the promises of the No campaign)

Status
Not open for further replies.