The SNIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
This still rumbling!!!

Debating with someone who can't putt with a flag in and takes it up with SG is the equivalent to talking to a brick wall in my eyes.

Independence will come.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This still rumbling!!!

Debating with someone who can't putt with a flag in and takes it up with SG is the equivalent to talking to a brick wall in my eyes.

Independence will come.

If I wasn't so polite I'd be telling you off right now...

Also, you are hardly the voice of reason on here.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
UK/EU Referendum......Brits living in The EU cannot vote in this referendum.

Scotland/UK referendum.....Scots living in the UK could vote in this referendum.

Westminster Chief speak with forked tongue :love::unsure:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you seriously suggest that the RumpUK would not trade with Scotland. :unsure:

There might not be a full free trade agreement as nobody knows.

Huge UK wide presence providing many jobs in Scotland too, some of that would go no doubt.

I really fear that Scotland would become a back water if independent. The leaving the EU as the reason for another vote is a farce, especially if the EU are not immediately welcoming. Some other countries are not that happy in EU either, look at how Italy felt let down at the start of lockdown.

Figures (yes ScotGov figures) show a massive deficit and this would add to the difficulty of joining the EU as well as Spain's resistance.

Tell me an advantage of being independent other that the romantic FREEDOM idea?

SNP are absolutely crap at running the country apart from the things brought in and financed by Barnet such as free prescriptions, free travel, free uni education etc. Without the additional funding (yes Scots get more money handed to them per person than England & Wales) provided by the UK there is no way, in my opinion, that this could be maintained.

Why change things? It's not actually broke at the moment.

ps let's not forget furlough financed by the whole UK machine at the moment, could an independent Scotland have financed this? The old farts should also be concerned about pensions. One of mine is a UK civil service backed one and I am worried about that.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Huge UK wide presence providing many jobs in Scotland too, some of that would go no doubt.

I really fear that Scotland would become a back water if independent. The leaving the EU as the reason for another vote is a farce, especially if the EU are not immediately welcoming. Some other countries are not that happy in EU either, look at how Italy felt let down at the start of lockdown.

Figures (yes ScotGov figures) show a massive deficit and this would add to the difficulty of joining the EU as well as Spain's resistance.

Tell me an advantage of being independent other that the romantic FREEDOM idea?

SNP are absolutely crap at running the country apart from the things brought in and financed by Barnet such as free prescriptions, free travel, free uni education etc. Without the additional funding (yes Scots get more money handed to them per person than England & Wales) provided by the UK there is no way, in my opinion, that this could be maintained.

Why change things? It's not actually broke at the moment.

ps let's not forget furlough financed by the whole UK machine at the moment, could an independent Scotland have financed this? The old farts should also be concerned about pensions. One of mine is a UK civil service backed one and I am worried about that.

Oh dear :love:...Now breath.
One of my pensions is a English local authority one and I know the law.
An advantage would be not paying for nuclear weapons or the Birmingham to London rail improvements.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Scotland/UK referendum.....Scots living in the UK could vote in this referendum.

As I live in England I would not get a vote. However as I live in England I am not impacted by Scotland leaving the UK as I would be were I resident in Scotland. Therefore as much as my being Scottish might have me thinking that a should have a vote on the future of my country - I am reconciled with the thought that it is right that I don't. If I want a vote - then I move to Scotland.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As I live in England I would not get a vote. However as I live in England I am not impacted by Scotland leaving the UK as I would be were I resident in Scotland. Therefore as much as my being Scottish might have me thinking that a should have a vote on the future of my country - I am reconciled with the thought that it is right that I don't. If I want a vote - then I move to Scotland.

You would be if you were planning to live there in the future.
Why should someone who grew up in Scotland for say their first 40 years (paying tax and contributing to the local economy) then got a great opportunity to move to somewhere else for a part of their life with the intention of returning home at some point not get a vote?

Yet, someone living in Scotland for a short time, from say Europe (paying taxes etc) who came here to make some cash but planning to return to their routes get a vote.

That doesn't make sense.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

I was a Brit living in the EU at the time of the EU referendum and I was allowed to vote. Weren't you DfT? ?‍♂️

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh dear :love:...Now breath.
One of my pensions is a English local authority one and I know the law.
An advantage would be not paying for nuclear weapons or the Birmingham to London rail improvements.

The amount of employment lost in Scotland IF it loses it nuclear base would possibly mean a major increase in taxes to pay for the lost income and building your own defence industry from scratch.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Nobody knows. Exactly.

It's 2025, what trade agreements does Scotland (as part of the UK) have in place?
Nobody knows.

Are those trade agreements focused on financial services and pharmaceuticals or do they focus on food, drink, energy and tourism?
Nobody knows.

How expensive will it be for highland hotels to hire staff when there isn't a steady stream of European students and young people spending their summers in Scotland because it was too much hassle to apply for a visa?
Nobody knows.

anyway, I'm out. We will never change each others minds, but ultimately I think it won't be long before we see what will transpire in our small countries future.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yes, but I am sure you are aware that Brits living in EU countries outside of the UK were denied a vote. [Desperate Dan stuff]

LOLOLOLOL... What the law said and what actually happened are, possibly, very different things. There were just over 240k registered UK expats in Spain at the time of the Brexit referendum and an estimated 750k in total. I wonder how the 510k voted?

Of the guys and girls I used to golf with and play bowls with, who had the vote, almost all of them voted Remain. Look at that percentage around the EU countries and I wonder what the vote truly looked like from those that didn't live in the UK but wanted to keep their tax affairs and healthcare under the table? And dodging tax in both countries whilst maintaining the ability to use the NHS is the major reason those people speak of.

Who knows what the (exact) reality is???

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i would hope that Scotland vote to remain, as they did last time. But i do not believe there should be another vote for "a generation", which was agreed by all last time - that means another 15 years or so. And that should give the SNP plenty of time to answer the rather fundamental questions of what happens if they leave - key off the top of my head:
1. Taking their share of UK debt - how?
2. Budget deficits and financing them - they are not too hot on this
3. Currency? What, when, how...A new Scottish Treasury Department
4. Borrowing needs - need a credit rating and access to the capital markets
5. Trade agreements with other countries - including the rest of the UK that account for 60%+ of current exports - obviously this will end if Scotland join the EU
6. EU membership? Yes - if so how? What about the fiscal rules for joing in relation to debt-to-GDP, budget deficit, Currency (whatever that is for a new Scotland) stability, rules on long-term interste rates (so Sctotland will have had to borrow in capital markets and have historty here) etc

;

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i would hope that Scotland vote to remain, as they did last time. But i do not believe there should be another vote for "a generation", which was agreed by all last time - that means another 15 years or so. And that should give the SNP plenty of time to answer the rather fundamental questions of what happens if they leave - key off the top of my head:
1. Taking their share of UK debt - how?
2. Budget deficits and financing them - they are not too hot on this
3. Currency? What, when, how...A new Scottish Treasury Department
4. Borrowing needs - need a credit rating and access to the capital markets
5. Trade agreements with other countries - including the rest of the UK that account for 60%+ of current exports - obviously this will end if Scotland join the EU
6. EU membership? Yes - if so how? What about the fiscal rules for joing in relation to debt-to-GDP, budget deficit, Currency (whatever that is for a new Scotland) stability, rules on long-term interste rates (so Sctotland will have had to borrow in capital markets and have historty here) etc

;

AN asking some of the same questions

Status
Not open for further replies.