The Renaissance Club

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the venue for this years Scottish Open?
100k for a membership or £600+ for a once in a lifetime chance of playing the course.
So largely a course most will be unfamiliar with.
For me it kinda stinks that the competition is being played on such an exclusive course.
Plenty other excellent venues available which average club golfers can have a go at without having to win the lottery.

agree - no harm to the guys who built the course as their private Scottish links, but don't really get the strategy to promote Scotland or Scottish golf by having consecutive Scottish Opens at a course that most won't be able to play or certainly won't want to spend that kind of money to play, even if they can afford it.

There's plenty of other suitable venues around Scotland that are far more in the mould of what a Scottish club is and what should represent our wee country on the world stage.

Amazed they haven't gone back to Royal Aberdeen, which looked absolutely incredible in 2014. Perhaps logistic issues - but last year with the Open at Carnoustie was surely the obvious opportunity if they were going to use this course again.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
agree - no harm to the guys who built the course as their private Scottish links, but don't really get the strategy to promote Scotland or Scottish golf by having consecutive Scottish Opens at a course that most won't be able to play or certainly won't want to spend that kind of money to play, even if they can afford it.

There's plenty of other suitable venues around Scotland that are far more in the mould of what a Scottish club is and what should represent our wee country on the world stage.

Amazed they haven't gone back to Royal Aberdeen, which looked absolutely incredible in 2014. Perhaps logistic issues - but last year with the Open at Carnoustie was surely the obvious opportunity if they were going to use this course again.
who are all these members clubs who want to hold it?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Royal Aberdeen is still £190.00 to play, thats not cheap to play either. I think the ET has looked at past events and see that they don't get the same turn out in crowds else where, why not take it to a part of the country where they can get the people in. Having it in east lothian opens up the north of england for visitors etc. And its just unfortunate that other clubs in teh area don't have the space to host such events. Gullane, archerfield and maybe Craigielaw would be the only other ones with the space to do so. Archerfirld had the womens years ago, Gullane has already hosted and Craigielaw has the Seniors.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Royal Aberdeen is still £190.00 to play, thats not cheap to play either. I think the ET has looked at past events and see that they don't get the same turn out in crowds else where, why not take it to a part of the country where they can get the people in. Having it in east lothian opens up the north of england for visitors etc. And its just unfortunate that other clubs in teh area don't have the space to host such events. Gullane, archerfield and maybe Craigielaw would be the only other ones with the space to do so. Archerfirld had the womens years ago, Gullane has already hosted and Craigielaw has the Seniors.

Fair enough - East Lothian does make sense for a lot of reasons.

And £190 is on a par with championship venues. As far as I understand, the Renaissance offer is a 'one time experience' allowing non-members only one chance to play it - I assume at far more than £190. After that you could only ever get back on as a member, or a guest of a member. Clearly a far more elite venue, not catering for the everyday golfer or golf tourist who will come back to play the likes of Gullane, Royal Aberdeen, Castle Stewart etc. on multiple trips.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well I hope it’s a case of the telly not doing it justice because it doesn’t look a very inspiring course to play , doesn’t shout out “come and spend £250” to play

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I hope it’s a case of the telly not doing it justice because it doesn’t look a very inspiring course to play , doesn’t shout out “come and spend £250” to play

That could be said about a lot of links golf courses though. In all honesty when I saw Royal St George's on the TV I didn't "get it". However having played it twice now I'd happily pay the green fee again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I enjoyed the coverage (especially late on when they were given Radar some grief even Beem who had no idea what was going on!) and some good scores. Some challenging holes and I like seeing somewhere like The Renaissance where I know I'll never be able to set foot

D

Deleted member 15344

You pay for exclusivity. Like Loch Lomond.

Has to also come with a golf course to match the price tag .

Don’t mind paying a large green fee for an exclusive club but the actual course needs to also justify it and some that are “exclusive” will prob struggle to justify it but understand from Bro In Law Loch Lomond does.

The telly pictures watching today did show the golf course off as a “must play” - didn’t look like a links course too much as well

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I'm slightly surprised that this club/course is going along okay considering Archerfield is right next door with super facilities at a fraction of the cost, still expensive though. If you take into account East Lothian has many genuine quality courses at a fraction of the cost of even Archerfield it never stops to amaze me how they all survive. That aside it wouldn't surprise me if Renaissance paid a pretty penny for this.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm slightly surprised that this club/course is going along okay considering Archerfield is right next door with super facilities at a fraction of the cost, still expensive though. If you take into account East Lothian has many genuine quality courses at a fraction of the cost of even Archerfield it never stops to amaze me how they all survive. That aside it wouldn't surprise me if Renaissance paid a pretty penny for this.

Archerfield is bang average though.