Another club bites the dust

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So last night got an email to say my club will close on 31st March next year.

Land was sold to a developer several years ago and leased back at a nominal fee. It's green belt and there is no planning permission yet as far as I understand. We were promised 18 months notice, but it looks like lease ends in 6 months and won't be renewed. Deja Vu, because this happened at my previous club in 2016. Really sad as it is an excellent course, but hey ho here goes for a change!!!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain.

Not quite as bad, but we got notification last week that we would be reducing from an 18 hole to a 9 hole course. Will involve a lot of work as we are not a "two loops of nine" sort of course...will be a lot of merging of two holes into one...e.g. the current first hole will play to the second green, the 6th hole will play to the 9th green, the current 13th will play to the 17th green. Will need a huge amount of landscaping to give the new holes definition and I cant help but feel that for many months we will be playing a form of "cross-country" golf. How it will work for comps and stuff with the new layout not being defined or rated properly I dont know....can see a long period of general play only ahead. I've been at my place over 20 years now so it will be a huge wrench....club is already asking for advanced payments (at a reduced rate to encourage early take up) to renew now for the membership year commencing April 2024...club will be limited to 300 memberships max due to restricted tee times available as a nine holer...currently close to 500 members.

At least we will still have a course (of increased length as well if you played 9 holes twice compared to the current layout)....though there may seem to be more tunnel than light at this moment in time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I feel your pain.

Not quite as bad, but we got notification last week that we would be reducing from an 18 hole to a 9 hole course. Will involve a lot of work as we are not a "two loops of nine" sort of course...will be a lot of merging of two holes into one...e.g. the current first hole will play to the second green, the 6th hole will play to the 9th green, the current 13th will play to the 17th green. Will need a huge amount of landscaping to give the new holes definition and I cant help but feel that for many months we will be playing a form of "cross-country" golf. How it will work for comps and stuff with the new layout not being defined or rated properly I dont know....can see a long period of general play only ahead. I've been at my place over 20 years now so it will be a huge wrench....club is already asking for advanced payments (at a reduced rate to encourage early take up) to renew now for the membership year commencing April 2024...club will be limited to 300 memberships max due to restricted tee times available as a nine holer...currently close to 500 members.

At least we will still have a course (of increased length as well if you played 9 holes twice compared to the current layout)....though there may seem to be more tunnel than light at this moment in time.
Why's that? Have they sold the rest of the land off?

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The owner is keeping the hotel, club house (same building) and car park. Driving range, course and academy course was sold 5 years ago and leased back to her. lease is up and not being renewed.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it is Dudsbury then it is a shame. A tough track off the back tees, and one of the very few ‘modern’ courses in Dorset.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Why's that? Have they sold the rest of the land off?
Simple finance issues....club cant run at a profit....maintenance costs too high relative to the income the club generates. Having a 9 hole course will hopefully allow the current team to focus on fewer holes...hopefully driving up the quality/condition, whilst at the same time reducing the maintenance overheads. For sure there will be an offset in reduced membership income, but I guess someone has done their sums and decided that everything adds up.

Maybe the unused land will be sold off...but not sure it can be developed as it borders an AONB. Club has submitted several planning applications over recent years to restructure the course to generate funds but they've all been refused for various reasons...the galling thing is that other local developments have been allowed to proceed...we put in an application to use some land at the club entrance to build 14 houses and provide a local village shop (the golf club is the only business in the village, which itself has neither a shop nor a pub)...was rejected on the basis that the local area didn't need anymore housing developments (along with fierce opposition from local residents about the "disruption")....and a year later our owners sat and watched as 35 new houses were built just half a mile or so from the club.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Simple finance issues....club cant run at a profit....maintenance costs too high relative to the income the club generates. Having a 9 hole course will hopefully allow the current team to focus on fewer holes...hopefully driving up the quality/condition, whilst at the same time reducing the maintenance overheads. For sure there will be an offset in reduced membership income, but I guess someone has done their sums and decided that everything adds up.

Maybe the unused land will be sold off...but not sure it can be developed as it borders an AONB. Club has submitted several planning applications over recent years to restructure the course to generate funds but they've all been refused for various reasons...the galling thing is that other local developments have been allowed to proceed...we put in an application to use some land at the club entrance to build 14 houses and provide a local village shop (the golf club is the only business in the village, which itself has neither a shop nor a pub)...was rejected on the basis that the local area didn't need anymore housing developments (along with fierce opposition from local residents about the "disruption")....and a year later our owners sat and watched as 35 new houses were built just half a mile or so from the club.

With reduced overheads come potentially reduced fees which could appeal to a wide audience in the current climate. Bang a second set of tees in and they could be onto a winner

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
With reduced overheads come potentially reduced fees which could appeal to a wide audience in the current climate. Bang a second set of tees in and they could be onto a winner
Maybe in the medium term fees might come down but fees are going up for those that choose to remain and don't take advantage of the early renewal offer...and if you want to join as a new member after April 1st next year there will be a joining fee as well. think they are aiming for a bit of "exclusivity".

The club actually plan to build new tees so there are four on every hole.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Not really as now they have just nine holes they will have fewer customers and therefore a smaller income. It could also be argued that the reduced economy of scale with regard to purchasing ability and off course facilities may result in fees having to increase.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not really as now they have just nine holes they will have fewer customers and therefore a smaller income. It could also be argued that the reduced economy of scale with regard to purchasing ability and off course facilities may result in fees having to increase.

A second set of tees can make 9 holes play completely different, we have several 9 holers around here that are all over 100 years old with very strong memberships. The two main ones being holetye and the other limpsfield chart. Both play completely different off the different tees and definitely give an 18 hole feel.

One is almost 1500 a year!

Captain_Black.

Visit site

Also saw an article in the local rag that Woodlands Golf course in North Bristol is going to be built on.
It's a very decent 36 hole pay & play.
So another one bits the dust.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Stayed there & played it more than once.
A real nice hotel with a very decent golf course.
Mad decision to close the course, surely the majority who stay at the hotel play the golf course?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
A second set of tees can make 9 holes play completely different, we have several 9 holers around here that are all over 100 years old with very strong memberships. The two main ones being holetye and the other limpsfield chart. Both play completely different off the different tees and definitely give an 18 hole feel.

One is almost 1500 a year!
Unfortunately the layout of the course effectively means that new tees will for the most part, only offer different length options....there is very little scope for changing angles of play.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Whilst hugely sad, I am proud of the cat herding that has taken place.
We had a little heads up a few days ago ;)
I am part of a group of 15, so we needed action to preserve what we have.
We had a list of 17 (yes 17!) potential courses to serve our geographic distribution, financial and golfing needs.
We have achieved consensus of 14 with 1 reluctant, and were on the doorstep of our choice this morning and confident the whole group will transfer. General Manager says they will probably close and introduce a waiting list by the weekend.
Stressful, but change can be good!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Local authority planning departments are about as honourable as double glazing salesmen. You can get approval to build anything you like provided you grease the right palms. The developers of those 35 new houses just knew how to work the system.