Scottish Open

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Got to say I’m disappointed that the Renaissance Club is hosting the Scottish Open for the next 4 years, nothing against the course, but in my opinion we should be taking it round the Country, we have top drawer courses all around the Country which could do an equally good job.
It’s such a short sighted view by the DP World tour.

D

Deleted member 15344

Guess it will come down to costs

It becoming one of the biggest comps on the ET and I’m not sure how many other clubs would be in the position for that level of outlay ?

It is a shame though as there are lots of stunning courses that could host it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When you have so many good courses it is a real shame that it ends up sticking at the same one. I went this year and whilst there are many pluses to it, it is not the greatest viewing course. As LP mentions though, money talks.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst I agree, how many clubs would be prepared to have their course closed for the duration of the competition and the lead up times?
It's Scotland's national comp, surely there would be a good few, out of the huge number of courses, that would put their hands up for it. Not every year but surely it could bounce around different clubs?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is 4 years too long to hold an event? I seem to think it was a while at Loch Lomond and at Gleneagles.
I remember back in the day when it was at Haggs Castle.

D

Deleted member 3432

It's Scotland's national comp, surely there would be a good few, out of the huge number of courses, that would put their hands up for it. Not every year but surely it could bounce around different clubs?

Why would they when they can charge 300 quid a time for green fees?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure what it comes down to for their criteria.
There would be plenty of clubs willing to host it even for that slight down time I'd imagine, the rewards would be greater in the end.
In my opinion Keith Pelley has made a massive error of judgement on this one.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Even though it is only about 5 miles from my house I believe it should move round more.
Dundonald, Royal Aberdeen and plenty others are great venues.
The pros want it on a links course. Renaissance doesn't really seem to be a true links.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Even though it is only about 5 miles from my house I believe it should move round more.
Dundonald, Royal Aberdeen and plenty others are great venues.
The pros want it on a links course. Renaissance doesn't really seem to be a true links.

Couldn't agree more Ken.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
On top of the lost income that would apply to any host course, does anyone know if the Renaissance pay a fee to the ET to host it?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd have thought the course would receive a fee?

I'd imagine that's pretty much always the case.

Interesting. I didn't think they would. Maybe I haven't thought it all through but I imagined there is a commercial benefit to any host club in marketing itself as a European tour venue (& being able to charge (higher) green fees for several years in line with that 'status' plus there would be an increased demand from visiting tourists & other players wishing to play a course of Tour standard etc)
All in all a bit of an ongoing money spinner that some clubs might take the short term hit on green fees to host it and pay to secure the event for x years

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Little bit of discussion about the Womens Open heading to Muirfield
Interesting. I didn't think they would. Maybe I haven't thought it all through but I imagined there is a commercial benefit to any host club in marketing itself as a European tour venue (& being able to charge (higher) green fees for several years in line with that 'status' plus there would be an increased demand from visiting tourists & other players wishing to play a course of Tour standard etc)
All in all a bit of an ongoing money spinner that some clubs might take the short term hit on green fees to host it and pay to secure the event for x years

I know in the Tucker Carlson interview with GN from Bedminster, that Norman said "we negotiated a venue fee with him" (Trump), which suggests that they paid him to use the venue - of course I could have got that the wrong way round.
I'd imagine all the Trump courses are pretty well regarded without the need for any other exposure, although of course, any international event at any golf course will definitely increase it's popularity.