Scottish Open

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah I can imagine there are courses the Tours will pay a wedge to visit... and equally there will be courses that would pay out to host

D

Deleted member 15344

I've heard rumours both ways. I'd have thought you were right but for a course like this it provides good pr and raises its profile so perhaps it is worth paying to bring the tournament to them?

Heard talk of it being both ways

Course pays to host and then takes in all the profits

ET pay the clubs to host but then takes in the profits

Either way if it’s a successful comp the club makes a fair bit

Bobthesock

Visit site
On a similar note, of all the top courses in Scotland why does Fairmont have the hero open? Get it's not a huge comp but it's still the DP world tour.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
On a similar note, of all the top courses in Scotland why does Fairmont have the hero open? Get it's not a huge comp but it's still the DP world tour.

Maybe not news, but I heard yesterday that they are ripping Fairmont up to create a new expensive coastal course, and a cheaper pay and play course

Fabia999

Visit site
I went last year and it was a lovely set up. Missed it this year due to going to the open but was excited at the idea it might be somewhere else next year. I'm now in two minds if its worth the drive up.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Having recently played Kingsbarns, I'd like to see it host The Scottish Open. It's beautiful and challenging.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd suspect there would only be a certain type of club or course that would want to hold it. Pay and play courses would be the front runners. Open venues wouldn’t want to hold it, members clubs too much disruption, with little reward unless a club wanted to get more exposure. I've heard from a couple of guys who are Gullane members that they wouldn't be keen to hold it again.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I'd suspect there would only be a certain type of club or course that would want to hold it. Pay and play courses would be the front runners. Open venues wouldn’t want to hold it, members clubs too much disruption, with little reward unless a club wanted to get more exposure. I've heard from a couple of guys who are Gullane members that they wouldn't be keen to hold it again.
That's probably a big factor in course selection. I'm not opposed to keeping the tournament at Renaissance. It's a great course. Also, I'll get to see Kingsbarns when they play The Alfred Dunhill next month. Unfortunately, The AD doesn't get as many US players as the Scottish Open.