Simple fix to enjoy your golf

Swango1980

Visit site
I've made myself a member at my local golf course Brierley forest club, the greens are great for the £600 ayear membership but one thing makes me realise, if the grounds men don't play golf, how can they think for the golfers requirements, for an example
Lay a concrete slad for the winter tee off mat's that are so thin there is no we're to stab a tee in the ground which is very annoying . I'm not one to complain so I simply pay to play at other courses to see the differences, WHAT niggles you at the course to play at ?
At my last course (similar, owner or green staff are not golfers):

• Owner always tried to squeeze non-members out just before first tee time in competition, even a minute before, meaning everyone had to wait on white tees whilst groups teed off yellows
  • Second tee was about 180 yards from driving range. Despite a 15-20 foot high fence, balls would constantly fall from the air towards your head. People on range did not care one bit
  • Course got very boggy in winter, especially in some locations
  • Buggies allowed all year round, fun for kids wanting to do donuts in winter
  • Bunkers full of stones (very large ones)
  • Tee boxes uneven and grass often very long (even teed up, felt you were hitting driver off the deck)
  • Crowned holes
  • When they cored the greens, never put sand down. Greens were pretty poor, apart from a window of a few weeks in middle of hot summer, when they could be decent.
  • Owner fell out with most people, over the most minor critical feedback. So much so, entire ladies section left some time ago, and most of the Committee resigned on mass over a year ago.
  • Rubbish golf shop (a few Sports Direct tops sold for 4 times the price you'd get them online)
  • Changing rooms smelt of urine (bad drains)
  • Reception area often smelt of poo (if toilet was used in that area)
  • No real professional (there was one, but would just appear every now and then to give someone a lesson, didn't work at club shop). They have now left, so I think there is no professional at all.
  • Putting green was awful. The size of a small bedroom, with about 3 holes and grass often close to fairway height
  • Grass length on fairways the height of light to second cut rough at most other places
  • Fairways often covered in daisies and dandelions (and even clover)
  • Most boundaries terribly marked, with out of bounds posts and penalty area posts often going missing or getting dislodged
  • Not unusual to see 5 balls play. Hard to stop, as owner ultimately puts short term money gains ahead of longer term happiness of members
I'm sure there are many more things to add to that list that have not sprung to mind. That being said, I had many many great years at that club. It had a good layout for all abilities of golfer, good membership prices (if you went budget), great and friendly members, good location and owner was absolutely fine if he was in a good mood and you weren't having to give any critique of the course. Therefore, I was quite happy to put up with most of the above, and only left when a significant amount of the other regular competition members left due to a big fallout with the owner. My philosophy was always, it is not perfect, but if I play well I enjoy it all the same. And, if I play badly at a great course, I will just as easily be in a bad mood. So, enjoy it for what it is, and going to really nice courses on away trips will be an even bigger treat.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
At my last course (similar, owner or green staff are not golfers):

• Owner always tried to squeeze non-members out just before first tee time in competition, even a minute before, meaning everyone had to wait on white tees whilst groups teed off yellows
  • Second tee was about 180 yards from driving range. Despite a 15-20 foot high fence, balls would constantly fall from the air towards your head. People on range did not care one bit
  • Course got very boggy in winter, especially in some locations
  • Buggies allowed all year round, fun for kids wanting to do donuts in winter
  • Bunkers full of stones (very large ones)
  • Tee boxes uneven and grass often very long (even teed up, felt you were hitting driver off the deck)
  • Crowned holes
  • When they cored the greens, never put sand down. Greens were pretty poor, apart from a window of a few weeks in middle of hot summer, when they could be decent.
  • Owner fell out with most people, over the most minor critical feedback. So much so, entire ladies section left some time ago, and most of the Committee resigned on mass over a year ago.
  • Rubbish golf shop (a few Sports Direct tops sold for 4 times the price you'd get them online)
  • Changing rooms smelt of urine (bad drains)
  • Reception area often smelt of poo (if toilet was used in that area)
  • No real professional (there was one, but would just appear every now and then to give someone a lesson, didn't work at club shop). They have now left, so I think there is no professional at all.
  • Putting green was awful. The size of a small bedroom, with about 3 holes and grass often close to fairway height
  • Grass length on fairways the height of light to second cut rough at most other places
  • Fairways often covered in daisies and dandelions (and even clover)
  • Most boundaries terribly marked, with out of bounds posts and penalty area posts often going missing or getting dislodged
  • Not unusual to see 5 balls play. Hard to stop, as owner ultimately puts short term money gains ahead of longer term happiness of members
I'm sure there are many more things to add to that list that have not sprung to mind. That being said, I had many many great years at that club. It had a good layout for all abilities of golfer, good membership prices (if you went budget), great and friendly members, good location and owner was absolutely fine if he was in a good mood and you weren't having to give any critique of the course. Therefore, I was quite happy to put up with most of the above, and only left when a significant amount of the other regular competition members left due to a big fallout with the owner. My philosophy was always, it is not perfect, but if I play well I enjoy it all the same. And, if I play badly at a great course, I will just as easily be in a bad mood. So, enjoy it for what it is, and going to really nice courses on away trips will be an even bigger treat.

Albeit one or two slight amendments - this is my place too :ROFLMAO:

I do however pay £35 a month so ill take it. If I paid triple Id expect a course 3x well maintained.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Only real niggle I have about Newport is that there are very few if any drawn events and people tend to play with the same group every week. I've mentioned this to the committee who rejected the suggestion without comment.

Other than that, once you get yourself in a regular game, it's really good. :) Doesn't drain as well as a links, but it's not a links and it's in South Wales, not The Algarve! Hey ho!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Only real niggle I have about Newport is that there are very few if any drawn events and people tend to play with the same group every week. I've mentioned this to the committee who rejected the suggestion without comment.

Other than that, once you get yourself in a regular game, it's really good. :) Doesn't drain as well as a links, but it's not a links and it's in South Wales, not The Algarve! Hey ho!

I find it so strange that clubs allow people to play with their friends in a singles comp! Every comp at ours is drawn (obviously not pairs or team events)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
75% of the bunkers at our place are horrendous. The club know this and are raising money to sort them by selling off a bit of land. It’ll take a while to sort them and so in the meantime they’ve brought in a ‘rake and place’ winter rule in for all bunkers.

Problem is, the worst bunkers are pretty much mud. So they’re either rock hard or sloppy. Even the best players struggle to get out in one go, you’re either getting stuck in slop and fatting it 2 feet, or trying to softly clip it off hard mud but end up knifing it into the bunker the other side. Awful. Wish they’d just change them to gur and let us drop out on some grass instead.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Temporary hole at our place while they rebuild a new one, for the last couple of months they made it a 75 yard stab when there is ample room to have made it around 95 yards which I'd much prefer. Just seems a pointless hole. I think at some point the plan is to just fence it off and play the course as 17 holes, which is also preferable to be honest.

They've made a couple of weird calls when putting the tee markers out though. One time they only set them about one metre apart so there was barely enough room to stand inside them. Another time, on a 110 yard par 3, the put the pin on the far right of the green, and the tee on the far right of the tee box, which meant there was an overhanging tree directly in the way. So if you couldn't hit a fade with your wedge you were knackered really. ?
You need to play Ivinghoe....2nd hole is a dog-leg Par 3....I kid you not!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just trying to think of what I might 'moan' about on the course. can only think of two:
  • Unused tee times when I couldn't get one
  • And because there are so many prepaired teeing areas it can be a bit of a lottery choosing which markers to play off in social games

evemccc

Visit site
I can’t really complain about anything at my home club / course — there’s a couple of ‘characters’ but most people are friendly…
It’s not trying to be anything it’s not - and not everyone will like it - but for what I want, it’s v good….The condition of the greens is genuinely superb.
I play other courses as I like variety, but even if I was a member of Sunningdale I still would play other courses…

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I can’t really complain about anything at my home club / course — there’s a couple of ‘characters’ but most people are friendly…
It’s not trying to be anything it’s not - and not everyone will like it - but for what I want, it’s v good….The condition of the greens is genuinely superb.
I play other courses as I like variety, but even if I was a member of Sunningdale I still would play other courses…

Och, its nae Dornoch!

Albo

Visit site
Hmmm I am currently at 2 courses.
The first one I joined is a course in great nick in the summer but doesn’t drain well in wet weather and it’s fairway mats 5 months of the year. The practice facilities are awful (save for the putting green in fairness, that’s in great condition).
The 2nd course as brilliant practice facilities including a 9 hole course, driving range, great chipping and bunker area and a good practice green too, but the main course isn’t as good, the first 12 holes are on the side of a hill so a flat stance is something of a unique experience for most of those holes, the last 6 are on the bottom of that hill and flatter, but they catch all the water that drains off the hill, so 12 holes drain well, 6 drain badly.
Course 1 is always busy tee times are a premium, course 2 is mostly quiet in the afternoons and busy in the morning.
Somewhere between the 2 is the perfect course, so membership at both leaves me with the best of both worlds.
It’s not financially sensible and the wife very much points this out at every chance she gets

Swango1980

Visit site
You need to play Ivinghoe....2nd hole is a dog-leg Par 3....I kid you not!
Just looked at Google Earth. Is it about 180 yards (tee dependent), dog leg right. With trees and out of bounds down the right-hand side?

If so, that is an absolutely abysmal design for a golfer like me. I play a draw / hook, and been unable to play a fade with an iron for at least a decade. If I lived in the area, this hole alone would rule this out of being a golf club I'd join. The thought of having to pitch my tee shot down the left, and then pitch it on and one putt for par makes me feel sick. It also looks like a 9 hole course, so I'd have to play this hole TWICE!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just looked at Google Earth. Is it about 180 yards (tee dependent), dog leg right. With trees and out of bounds down the right-hand side?

If so, that is an absolutely abysmal design for a golfer like me. I play a draw / hook, and been unable to play a fade with an iron for at least a decade. If I lived in the area, this hole alone would rule this out of being a golf club I'd join. The thought of having to pitch my tee shot down the left, and then pitch it on and one putt for par makes me feel sick. It also looks like a 9 hole course, so I'd have to play this hole TWICE!
Just over 200 on the card...
It's a shocker..mind you the rest ain't much better.....

Albo

Visit site

From their website…..

2nd Hole
204 yards Par 3

Our most picturesque hole, the 2nd is a ‘dog leg’ to the right, with ‘out of bounds’ running along the right hand side of the fairway.

This pretty green is well protected by a small water hazard short and right and a second water hazard pin high on the left. Bunkers are strategically positioned on the approach to the left, and either side of the green.

Edit to add, just reading the rest of the hole descriptions, the 4th has a tee shot over the 6th green and the 6th fairway has internal OB. Blind tee shots on 1, 8 and 9 too. Sounds like a quickly little course

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So do you always tee the ball up as close to the front of the teeing area as you possibly can?
Au contraire. I never tee my ball up on or close to the ‘line’…always well back from it. I did once play with an academy member who was taking an age teeing up on one hole. When I asked what she was doing she replied ‘I do sometimes find it really difficult to get a good spot on the line’…?

Swango1980

Visit site
Au contraire. I never tee my ball up on or close to the ‘line’…always well back from it. I did once play with an academy member who was taking an age teeing up on one hole. When I asked what she was doing she replied ‘I do sometimes find it really difficult to get a good spot on the line’…?
I tee behind the front of the teeing area. It means if that if I hit an abysmal shot, where the ball just rolls off the tee peg, then as long as it doesn't go past the tee pegs, I get to tee the ball up again when playing my second shot. Might not have confidence in my golfing ability, but at least I've a pretty good confidence in the rules and using them to my advantage :)

evemccc

Visit site
From their website…..

2nd Hole
204 yards Par 3

Our most picturesque hole, the 2nd is a ‘dog leg’ to the right, with ‘out of bounds’ running along the right hand side of the fairway.

This pretty green is well protected by a small water hazard short and right and a second water hazard pin high on the left. Bunkers are strategically positioned on the approach to the left, and either side of the green.

Edit to add, just reading the rest of the hole descriptions, the 4th has a tee shot over the 6th green and the 6th fairway has internal OB. Blind tee shots on 1, 8 and 9 too. Sounds like a quickly little course

“One man’s meat is another man’s poison”

I played Ivinghoe a number of times as an early teenager — then - when I came back to golf 3 years ago, it was the first course I played again

I’ve always had a soft spot for it and maintain it’s ‘good for what it is’ - fairly tranquil rural scenery, peaceful ‘millionaires’ golf and a good place for young / old / part-time GF golfers to have an afternoon out.

Would I want to join it and play my golf now I take the game more seriously? Of course not…

But it genuinely would vy with The Old Course for the place I would like to play my Last Ever Round

nostalgia, sentimentality, memory and all that

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I find it so strange that clubs allow people to play with their friends in a singles comp! Every comp at ours is drawn (obviously not pairs or team events)

We used to have randomly drawn comps. Unfortunately C-19 put paid to all that and we've never reverted back to the old system.

There are some folks who believe that it is the best thing that has happened to the club and it has bought the club together....whilst the rest of us longer term members look around and think..."but we don't know anyone".

The best thing our club used to have was a bar with two large long oak tables....and everyone was forced to sit together....now we largely have small round tables for 4 people that simply encourage insular behaviour and discourage mixing.

So we largely no longer mix on-course, nor do we mix off-course.

Its a real shame and has ripped the soul out of the feel of the club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What niggles about my place…? The tracks and paths.

Too many are untidy with poorly and I’ll-defined edges, and it is sometimes not clear whether a barer area from A to B is simply wear and tear and so no relief, or a formal track from which relief is given. They also look untidy and detract from the look of the course.

Fortunately sorting our tracks is our next more major project for all across course. Though with the cost of stuff and energy what it is I’m not sure when we’ll be able to start.