Simple fix to enjoy your golf

Starbox

Visit site
I've made myself a member at my local golf course Brierley forest club, the greens are great for the £600 ayear membership but one thing makes me realise, if the grounds men don't play golf, how can they think for the golfers requirements, for an example
Lay a concrete slad for the winter tee off mat's that are so thin there is no we're to stab a tee in the ground which is very annoying . I'm not one to complain so I simply pay to play at other courses to see the differences, WHAT niggles you at the course to play at ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've made myself a member at my local golf course Brierley forest club, the greens are great for the £600 ayear membership but one thing makes me realise, if the grounds men don't play golf, how can they think for the golfers requirements, for an example
Lay a concrete slad for the winter tee off mat's that are so thin there is no we're to stab a tee in the ground which is very annoying . I'm not one to complain so I simply pay to play at other courses to see the differences, WHAT niggles you at the course to play at ?
Just use a short tee. Broken wooden ones are best.;)

In my experience quite a lot of Greenkeepers I know including me are golfers.
Two I know are +2 and scratch.

The club is scrimping on the quality of mats ,that’s not the GKs fault. It’s winter golf and at £600 your lucky.
Have you asked the GK you might be suprized by his answers?

There are worse places to be than playing golf ,I count myself very lucky
Regards.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have quite a few good pals from the pit that went to Brierley Forest golf club.They went from Bulwell en bloc. They rave about the fact they pay £600 for a quality course and I have heard no complaints off them.
For me though, our course can get muddy and some of the tees are raised. Why they have not put in quality winter tees on all the holes is beyond me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Temporary hole at our place while they rebuild a new one, for the last couple of months they made it a 75 yard stab when there is ample room to have made it around 95 yards which I'd much prefer. Just seems a pointless hole. I think at some point the plan is to just fence it off and play the course as 17 holes, which is also preferable to be honest.

They've made a couple of weird calls when putting the tee markers out though. One time they only set them about one metre apart so there was barely enough room to stand inside them. Another time, on a 110 yard par 3, the put the pin on the far right of the green, and the tee on the far right of the tee box, which meant there was an overhanging tree directly in the way. So if you couldn't hit a fade with your wedge you were knackered really. ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Too many water hazards and bunkers on our course. And the fairways are mowed too narrow.
The grass is cut too short on the greens, and there aren’t enough big trees to stop the headwinds when I’m playing into them. ?
…and perhaps, as an old fella at an AGM of my previous club pleaded plaintively, they are too far away.?

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Our ground staff are scratch golfers and they still continue to install these. Not sure how much of it is their decision though. best solution I’ve seen is where decent mats are moved daily on the normal tee boxes.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
…and perhaps, as an old fella at an AGM of my previous club pleaded plaintively, they are too far away.?
Same here. Sone of the members raised an EGM last year to get the rough cut back as they werent making the fairway. The correct thing to do would be to play off appropriate tees. However in their minds, 'the green tees are for beginners and juniors and the red tees are for ladies'.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This year our working party made 18 winter tees that contain a good size matts so we now have a measured green course. When I say working party these are volunteers from the membership all of which have skills. We even have a green course score card.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Tees are awful at my place, not moved often enough at all and they're very uneven.

Owners don't care about the course any more, just lining their own pockets!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
They've made a couple of weird calls when putting the tee markers out though. One time they only set them about one metre apart so there was barely enough room to stand inside them. . ?

You do know that you dont have to stand between the tee markers dont you?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Now that we have done all the bunkers and done the works to improve drainage and interest over three holes, next up is to sort our paths…so we know for sure whether or not we are on a path from which relief is afforded.

After that, or in parallel, we have to look at rebuilding and extending many our tees…some are just not big or wide enough to cope with the increased traffic they have to carry. Plus whilst long tees are fine, and some are pretty long, we require greater width in most to give the greens team scope to move the tees whilst maintaining course length within the constraints set.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You do know that you dont have to stand between the tee markers dont you?
Not on this particular occasion... https://ibb.co/BrffDVS
We just had to tee up like two feet back from the markers so we weren't standing on top of the left one, or with our feet halfway down the bank. The guy in the photograph was lefty so he was able to do what you said.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Not on this particular occasion... https://ibb.co/BrffDVS
We just had to tee up like two feet back from the markers so we weren't standing on top of the left one, or with our feet halfway down the bank. The guy in the photograph was lefty so he was able to do what you said.

OK...so that's not a problem with the markers being only 1 meter apart....that's a problem with them being too close to the edge of the teeing ground.

They should be placed so that both left and right handed golfers can use the full width of the tee as defined by the markers.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
only seen it once at Teignmouth Golf Club, they places permeable artificial grass right on top of the tee box, so the tee pegs would go straight down into the sand and acted just like the rest of the tee box, but couldn't take divots.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK...so that's not a problem with the markers being only 1 meter apart....that's a problem with them being too close to the edge of the teeing ground.

They should be placed so that both left and right handed golfers can use the full width of the tee as defined by the markers.
It's definitely both, man. :LOL: Never seen them that close anywhere else in my life. It was silly. Gave our group all a good laugh though.