The peasants are revolting

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Low handicappers rarely 'win' at our place, they do take the prize for best gross virtually all the time - prizes are equal, we've seen an uplift in comp entries.

In terms of wins, the highest handicap was high 40s (can't remember exactly, might have been 48) and the lowest was 12 (great round, net 64). The only complaints we've had is that high handicappers are coming in with huge stableford scores but we've been told their handicaps will rapidly adjust to more fairly reflect ability but sounds like it'll take a few months.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think there is a place for handicaps and nett comps. But I do think that no-one with a gents handicap of more than 24 (I’d prefer 18 actually) should be allowed to win anything. Not sure about ladies - 36 maybe? The reason being that nobody should be being rewarded for playing the game at that level - it is a really poor standard of play. By all means participate but don’t expect prizes until you can at least break 90. I’m seeing more and more golfers that are new to the game that think their high handicap is fine because they can finish in the top ten. It’s taking away the drive and desire to improve with some people I think. A shame really. They need some tough love - 24 handicap is a really bad golfer. Apologies if the truth hurts anyone reading this!!
Bandits (Cheats!) aside, this goes completely against the fundamental tenets of the game of golf. Appropriate handicapping has been a part of Golf since HCEG played on Leith Links!
However, that shouldn't prevent handicap limits being placed on entry to selected Club competitions - like so called 'Board' ones. Similarly, Divisions generally eliminate the abberations that can result from improvements, or just 'miracle rounds, by high-cappers that low-cappers simply cannot match.
Low cappers have ALWAYS struggled to win handicap competitions - though Cat 1s were almost always close to the top! WHS hasn't changed that!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm torn on this

Originally the main reason for me to enter comps was to get a lower handicap.. as it was the best way to get a card in..

I've won a couple on the way

However now I got the golf England app we put in every round so my total just got to 17 cards .. so close to the magical 20

Now I'm not overly fussed if I make the comps or not .. yeah it's nice to win but I just want to be the lowest I can be

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
If the scratch guy isnt competing as hes not shooting close enough/ beating his handicap 8/20, he will see a rise in his HI soon anyway - so he wont have much to moan about soon! You wont win a comp at my place unless you're beating you handicap, and if you do, then fair play to you - great round!

Beauty of WHS!

Why moan when you can just submit every score you play, gradually rise and gain a few shots and therefore compete again!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
All our board competitions the big prize is for scratch and rightly so

Why is that right? That pretty much prevents anyone with a double digit handicap from ever getting their name on an honours board.

There surely needs to be some balance here. I absolutely agree there is a place for some board events to be awarded to the best scratch score - club championship being the obvious example. But getting your name on a board in the clubhouse should be within the grasp of everyone, not the preserve of those who either have a God given talent for this infuriating game, or those who can afford the hours required to get to low single figures.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
is there evidence? some anecodtal evidence from some clubs in favour of that hypothesis some against

in my own anecdotal evidence nothing much has changed. lower handicaps very rarely win handicap competitions, especially stableford. Low handicaps are far more consistent and so their range of possible scores is small maybe 2/3 shots either side of their handicap, whereas a 28 handicap has a potential 10 shot +/- range. If the field is large then the chances of a high handicap having "one of those days" is high. But this was the case under CONGU as well.

Where a low handicap will do well is obviously scratch comps i.e. club championships, match play, and order of merit where their consistency pays off. My old club's club championships also had a scratch and handicap champion, no reason why other board comps coulnd't adopt thismodel
My last 10 scores from the start of May. Course is 70.8/132 and my current HI is 3.4
72, 80, 86, 84, 78, 77(PCC +1), 79(PCC +2), 78, 72, 76.
So my range of scores either side of my handicap is -2.4 to +11.
What group of players am I recognisably far more consistent than?
I would say none.
It is hard for me to shoot 7 below my handicap, but that has been true for me since 1977 when I first got to 5, so I accept it as a fact of life.
I had my day in 1977 with 69-8=61. And a few more good days since. I do not whinge about anyone having their day off whatever handicap.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My last 10 scores from the start of May. Course is 70.8/132 and my current HI is 3.4
I would say none.
It is hard for me to shoot 7 below my handicap, but that has been true for me since 1977 when I first got to 5, so I accept it as a fact of life.
I had my day in 1977 with 69-8=61. And a few more good days since. I do not whinge about anyone having their day off whatever handicap.
Take out the 2 (or maybe 3) 'bad' ones - likely down to returning after Covid interruption - and it seems to me you have been pretty consistent! What were the 10 scores before Covid? Looking at those numbers, I'd suggest it's likely 6 were between 71 and 77 - though maybe a 'really low one' in there.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I would say none.

Whats your course handicap out of curiosity?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree, except last sentence.
No, a shield or Cup is enough. ?Just the honour of winning. As I understand most Opens, the entrance money gives a good day - very good course, good meal etc. No need for high value prizes.
I think the £50 would cover your fees petrol etc so a great day out for free. Winner only.
It might reduce the entrance fees if stupid prizes were not on offer imo.

My wife told me years ago , no more cups and shields!
A small piece of crystal was acceptable.

I know a guy who buys a £20 M&S voucher when he plays an open , he tells his wife he won it and buy herself something nice.
Happy wife happy golfer, !

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I somewhat agree with the OP’s member.
Okay it wasn’t a major, but on Wednesday a + figure golfer at the club shot a -7 round…..he came 3rd in the Medal. Beaten by a 12hcp shooting a 79 to his 65.
Tough school even for a plus guy9E69A92A-1CE8-4BB9-A636-29AE94638A3B.jpg

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why is that right? That pretty much prevents anyone with a double digit handicap from ever getting their name on an honours board.

There surely needs to be some balance here. I absolutely agree there is a place for some board events to be awarded to the best scratch score - club championship being the obvious example. But getting your name on a board in the clubhouse should be within the grasp of everyone, not the preserve of those who either have a God given talent for this infuriating game, or those who can afford the hours required to get to low single figures.
Not quite sure why grown adults who aren't very good at something are expecting some sort of recognition for it? I've really never understood this.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have experience of handicap tennis. Once had a 40 love per game start & my opponent wiped the floor with me.
That’s the problem trying to compare Golf and other sports.
If you are using a shared ball ie tennis his superior skill will trash you.
In Golf only you touch your ball so his skill can’t impact your game.
Like being snookered.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Not quite sure why grown adults who aren't very good at something are expecting some sort of recognition for it? I've really never understood this.

In which case you are totally missing the point of participating in a handicap sport.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Okay it wasn’t a major, but on Wednesday a + figure golfer at the club shot a -7 round…..he came 3rd in the Medal. Beaten by a 12hcp shooting a 79 to his 65.
Tough school even for a plus guyView attachment 37008
So of the 13 players listed, 7 of them are 5 or Below and 1 is 6.
All pipped by a Cat 2 (old style) who had a great day. As I posted in a previous post, rarely win handicap events but normally very near the top!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tough school even for a plus guyView attachment 37008
Your not wrong tough school.
He must be used to that now though off that cap.
If I shot 65 gross and came third I would cry!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Take out the 2 (or maybe 3) 'bad' ones - likely down to returning after Covid interruption - and it seems to me you have been pretty consistent! What were the 10 scores before Covid? Looking at those numbers, I'd suggest it's likely 6 were between 71 and 77 - though maybe a 'really low one' in there.
I suppose, to answer your questions, you need to see this

210611 scores.jpg
The -1.5 differential was a weird frosty morning in April 2019, when I shot one under par. Extra 25 yards of roll on my drives and I know how to do things like run the ball onto greens with a six iron from 100 yards.
I would be very interested to know where my consistency lies?