The peasants are revolting

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Err no you wouldn't? My old club has gross prize and net prizes on their club championships. You can win either one.
As I said “ we have one in every comp”
You have to declare your going in it.
It’s not worth winning your lucky to get a tenner.
It’s just a token gesture to the low men, as they have very little chance of the net .

evemccc

Visit site
They do level it as best as it can - if everyone plays to their handicap then it’s even , just like always some days people play below and some above it. The player no doubt won a fair whack getting down to scratch and I suspect he didn’t go running to EG then

There is a lot of settling down to happen with WHS

At my place there is a very consistent and good low ‘capper who wins more than his share of HC comps - I don’t begrudge this as he is nice enough to everyone —- But surely, if someone always and very often plays to their HC and wins more comps than anyone else, then surely their HC is too high..??

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Although I enter every comp cos I love playing I know I'm just making up the numbers with no chance of being even placed never mind winning.
Recently me & my playing partner played in a Senior 4BBB, we pared every hole except one which was a bogey, we scored 42 points.

The winning score was 49 points by 2x high handicappers.
We didn't even get in the top ten.
Lots of players especially Seniors at every club just playing off of entirely false handicaps
The only solution I see is 2x divisions
Under 18 h/c
Over 18 h/c
Prizes split equally between the divisions
Board comps?
Dunno what the answer is on that one.
What I do know is nobody under 18 h/c is winning these at my club.
Comps all being won by 20+ h/c with huge ridiculous scores.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Although I enter every comp cos I love playing I know I'm just making up the numbers with no chance of being even placed never mind winning.
Recently me & my playing partner played in a Senior 4BBB, we pared every hole except one which was a bogey, we scored 42 points.

The winning score was 49 points by 2x high handicappers.
We didn't even get in the top ten.
Lots of players especially Seniors at every club just playing off of entirely false handicaps
The only solution I see is 2x divisions
Under 18 h/c
Over 18 h/c
Prizes split equally between the divisions
Board comps?
Dunno what the answer is on that one.
What I do know is nobody under 18 h/c is winning these at my club.
Comps all being won by 20+ h/c with huge ridiculous scores.
Do you think it is just the system, or is dishonesty and handicap manipulation rampant in the 18+ hcs in your club ?

Last edited:

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Do you think it is just the system, or is dishonesty and handicap manipulation rampant in the 18+ hcs in your club ?

My mindset is to always play the best I can & be off as low a h/c as I can.
The Seniors section especially at my club & others as well going by conversions I've overheard on my travels seem to want as many shots as possible to keep bringing in the huge scores.
Lots of grumbling at my club from most under 15 or 16 h/c saying it's pointless entering comps.
If this continues which I think it will, our comps will soon only consist of high handicappers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All comps should be in appropriate divisions.

Cut the value of Open prize tables. Watch the winning scores fall?
I played with a mate yesterday from another club who came second in a team open a couple of weeks ago. Their prize? A 4 ball to be used by the end of next year. He was happy, he liked the course, the pot hunters would undoubtedly be miffed. It's the way to stop the bandits.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When you have say 100 players CH single figures, and 500 with higher CHs, surely there is simply a greater statistical likelihood of one of the latter shooting the lights out of their handicap - because someone is always going to do it. And depending upon conditions and things like pin position, there will be times when ‘shooting the lights out’ for a 20+ handicapper will see a score a SF handicapper will feel is totally out of reach.

I‘ll note that 10-16 hcappers at my place seem to fare pretty well in things.

I am thinking it significant that the toughening up of all of our bunkers over the last 4 yrs has impacted things. Many higher handicappers can really struggle to get out as they now all have steep and quite high, often very high, revetted faces. You really have to have a good idea of how to get out of them, and accept that sometimes a forward shot is really not for your capability…and many find that a difficult ‘acceptance’ and hence much whinging as they take 2, 3 often more shots to get out.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) When you have say 100 players CH single figures, and 500 with higher CHs, surely there is simply a greater statistical likelihood of one of the latter shooting the lights out of their handicap -
2) I‘ll note that 10-16 hcappers at my place seem to fare pretty well in things.
1) That's what the studies show
2) Probably because mid cappers are the highest proportion of active members