The peasants are revolting

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A bunker at 220 in the middle of the fairway ain't troubling most guys who hit it 220 when its playing into a stiff wind.

Its more likely to trouble the guys hitting it 240/250.

A bunker wont move but the conditions will dictate who it affects on any particular day.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A bunker at 220 in the middle of the fairway ain't troubling most guys who hit it 220 when its playing into a stiff wind.

Its more likely to trouble the guys hitting it 240/250.

A bunker wont move but the conditions will dictate who it affects on any particular day.
It’s / was one of those that seems to collect a ball even when it looks like missing by miles.
Off the very back can’t get near it into the wind.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You Should have had a caddie at TOC, they would have told you to to hit it left on every hole, last time I played there I didn't see a bunker let alone to hear one:ROFLMAO:
In all honesty it was my best drive of the day. And probably the only one that went down the middle

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In which case it would have been factored in as a 'forced layup' or 'layup by choice' in the Rating.
But the rating is also based on a low handicap player and they can carry so the index gets affected as the course is deemed easier .. I don’t mind playing off the back as I am out of range but I still have 180-210 into the par 4

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
But the rating is also based on a low handicap player and they can carry so the index gets affected as the course is deemed easier .. I don’t mind playing off the back as I am out of range but I still have 180-210 into the par 4
The Bogey Rating & Slope should make a contribution.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Bogey Rating & Slope should make a contribution.
Yes but if one is completely over influenced then there lies a problem.. I think you will see the scratchers picking more carefully their clubs and you will see a bit of desperation from those not low or long enough

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't read through this whole thread so don't know if it's been asked already. But why don't more clubs just have two prizes on their major comps, one for best gross and one for best net/Stableford score? So those who feel they can't win one can compete for the other, and vice versa?

Last edited:

The Dog.

Visit site
I haven't read through this whole thread so don't know if it's been asked already. But why don't more clubs just have two prizes on their major comps, one for best gross and one for best net/Stableford score? So those who feel they can't win won can compete for the other, and vice versa?

Because many comp committees don't agree with your view. I do though.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my Club has prizes for both, but then we do have a lot of scratch and better players, I can understand why some clubs don't if the y don't have many scratch and low handicap members

We're the opposite of this, with very few really low guys, so it's just the club champs, 36 holes over consecutive days, that has both. I won the handicap comp last year after carding a 10 on the par 4 third hole on day one :oops:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that group have a huge deviation on their range if scores, so if they have a good day, sky's the limit.

My 19 handicap buddy has broken 80, but he also struggles to break 100 when he's having a mare.

It is all to do with variability. If your range of scores is + or - 20 from your average, some days you will shoot the lights out and other days need a calculator to count your score. One wins a comp, the other doesn't matter so much. A scratch player has a much higher range, hence the handicap system pivots much closer to the better scores to reduce that variability, and other elements, 95% or the old 7/8 handicap tighten it a bit further, and stableford has the opposite effect, limiting the impact of high players disaster holes while the scratch player doesn't have them. CONGU used an assymetrical system for reducing/increasing, WHS pivots at around your 4th or 5th best score out of 20. CONGU has more drag since it is based on previous handicaps, WHS is more free to change quickly.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven't read through this whole thread so don't know if it's been asked already. But why don't more clubs just have two prizes on their major comps, one for best gross and one for best net/Stableford score? So those who feel they can't win one can compete for the other, and vice versa?
You would have to declare which one your playing in.
We have a lowest gross in every comp but it’s a token gesture and a fraction of the net prize.
How is prize money divided ?
The whole field could win the net, but only a few could win the gross.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You would have to declare which one your playing in.
We have a lowest gross in every comp but it’s a token gesture and a fraction of the net prize.
How is prize money divided ?
The whole field could win the net, but only a few could win the gross.
Err no you wouldn't? My old club has gross prize and net prizes on their club championships. You can win either one.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Prize money at my club in medals is based on the money entered into different sweep pots. Both £1.

There are different categories for both so anyone can win the "gross" sweep.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I wouldn't consider myself a 'low handicapper', but I guess I'm lower than average at 8.4. I won at the weekend with a nett 66, playing off 9. I only won on countback over a guy playing off 21. I'm now down to 7.7.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I was a member of RAF Bruggen in Germany and there was normally a comp every weekend.

The sweep entry was a compulsory DM5 (just under £2). All that money went into nett prizes.
If you wanted to enter the gross sweep, you had to pay an extra DM5, all that money went into one gross prize which was DM25 to DM35
1st nett prize was always over DM 100 and won by 8-10 under h/cap.

At least they had the option of competing for a gross prize, my next club WSM GC had no gross prize or divisions for their weekly/monthly comps.