The peasants are revolting

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Elderly? You cheeky clueless git!
Ok then... Would you prefer 'mature'? How old were you when you became a Cat 1?
And FWIW, I'm definitely 'elderly' so quite possibly a 'git' (to some), but would dispute 'clueless'! As a golfer, I never made it to Cat 1. 7 was as low as I got, but spent most of my active comp golf at 9.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did not say "substantial" I said "varies". You have given an example "93%" not 95%. Most cases this might make no difference once rounding to a playing or daily handicap, but it is different.
The GA formulas below vary from what we use in GB and I. Maybe not substantially, but they vary. What I like about the Ozzie system is that there is no Course Handicap. This has eliminated the misconception that many have here about "losing a shot with 95% being applied when lower handicappers do not lose a shot". That misconception still persists widely around my club. It sickens me.

View attachment 37019
View attachment 37020
I certainly like the combination of CH & PH into DH.
But the SDiff calc is only a sop to those who can't work out when they've played to handicap using par. However virtually all play in Oz is stableford rather than medal so I suppose it makes sense to them. But the overall effect is trivial.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Our place hasn’t seen this trend and the low handicappers have done well. Nothing stand out, to suggest there is an issue.
However the course suits the low handicapper who has distance and control.. bunkers placed between 200-230 Yards won’t bother them … so I suppose the complaint is, it is killing the competition by penalising those players who cannot pass those distances safely. I get there is a skill but it’s more skilful to thread your way through than blast over the top of the traps.
So in the end your scratcher /lowey should select his new club more carefully

Aha, another place where it irritates?. In the scheme of things, it's a small point, but we have one hole where there is a bunker slap in middle of fairway, 200 yds from tee. Perfect to collect a seniors good drive.!!
Grrr,!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aha, another place where it irritates?. In the scheme of things, it's a small point, but we have one hole where there is a bunker slap in middle of fairway, 200 yds from tee. Perfect to collect a seniors good drive.!!
Grrr,!
Never understood that.
West Lancs has one in the middle of the fairway.
The aim is to hit the fairway there should not be a bunker there.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Grrr,!
It will have been allowed for in the Course Rating process.
Does it significantly affect the ability of a player getting net par?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
12th on the Old Course has a big bunker with 180 carry yards from the tee - slap bang in the middle of the fairway and two smaller ones - again right in the middle at a 210 carry, I don't think you can see any of them from the tee - On a trip with my mates in the early 90s when I lived in England we stood on the tee and looked at the yardage book then advised Mel, who had the honour, that he should pick a line right or left - for some reason he got grumpy with us and hit one right down the middle (unusually straight for him) - he was not amused when a Hamlet cigar (if you remember the TV advert you'll know) was thrown in to him after his fifth attempt to get out.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The object of golf is to hit the middle of the fairway usually and a bad shot ends up in a hazard or rough.
So I disagree.
If your in the middle of the fairway there should not be a hazard there imo.
Easy enough to play short of it.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The object of golf is to hit the middle of the fairway usually and a bad shot ends up in a hazard or rough.
So I disagree.
If your in the middle of the fairway there should not be a hazard there imo.
There was me thinking it was to get the ball in the hole in as few shots as possible. Thinking allowed.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It’s a par 5 over 500yds and a bunker in the middle of the fairway 220yds off the tee.
Brambles on sand dunes both sides .
Must just be me.
But I always thought bunkers were for offline shots.
There's an Alistair McKenzie course near me. The bunkers aren't there to catch the rubbish shots. They are there to catch the nearly great shots. They are there to snag the good golfers who stray just close enough in order to try and get the best angles in, or sneak a few hards closer. Trying to get birdies and risking for rewards.
Rubbish golfers are penalised by just being rubbish. You don't need to end up in hazards if you're playing bogey golf.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's an Alistair McKenzie course near me. The bunkers aren't there to catch the rubbish shots. They are there to catch the nearly great shots. They are there to snag the good golfers who stray just close enough in order to try and get the best angles in, or sneak a few hards closer. Trying to get birdies and risking for rewards.
Rubbish golfers are penalised by just being rubbish. You don't need to end up in hazards if you're playing bogey golf.
I see the point.
But if I hit it in the middle of the fairway is it not reasonable to expect a fairway lie?
But you know it’s there before you hit your shot.
Just my opinion.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I see the point.
But if I hit it in the middle of the fairway is it not reasonable to expect a fairway lie?
But you know it’s there before you hit your shot.
Just my opinion.
Me I see both sides. I played the old course and smacked one down the middle and found it in a pot bunker. Swear, not half. I could not see the point of it. 2 yards either side and it’s a brilliant drive. how’s that right, Am then told if I had a course planner I would not of played that shot. ?
but at Woodhall spa, there’s holes where you get your driver out and you know you second shot is out of bunkers so you manage the hole. If you cannot see a hazard. How do you know it’s there. ?