The peasants are revolting

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The object of golf is to hit the middle of the fairway usually and a bad shot ends up in a hazard or rough.
So I disagree.
If your in the middle of the fairway there should not be a hazard there imo.
Sorry, I thought 'the object of Golf' is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest shots possible! If a lay-up (or bypass) of a bunker achieves that, then that's the best thing to do!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Me I see both sides. I played the old course and smacked one down the middle and found it in a pot bunker. Swear, not half. I could not see the point of it. 2 yards either side and it’s a brilliant drive. how’s that right, Am then told if I had a course planner I would not of played that shot. ?
but at Woodhall spa, there’s holes where you get your driver out and you know you second shot is out of bunkers so you manage the hole. If you cannot see a hazard. How do you know it’s there. ?
You can see this one as there is not much room either side.
It’s one of those things but my brain won’t let me aim in the sand dunes.
I suppose the sale of course planners is quite high for that reason.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Really it’s a mistake hitting the middle of the fairway?
There can’t be many holes where to miss a bunker in the middle of the fairway you can only hit 6 iron to be sure your short.

But you haven't hit the middle of the fairway if you're in the bunker.

So what if you have to hit a 6 iron off the tee. Nowhere does it say you have to hit driver off every tee.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
You can see this one as there is not much room either side.
It’s one of those things but my brain won’t let me aim in the sand dunes.
I suppose the sale of course planners is quite high for that reason.
Plenty room either side - I hit a 180 yard slice and was on the green in two - have you been to the Old course - doesn't really have dunes - the undulations are all on the fairways

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Sorry, I thought 'the object of Golf' is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest shots possible! If a lay-up (or bypass) of a bunker achieves that, then that's the best thing to do!

Knowing the best thing to do, is not really the question here.
Those of us who find the middle -of -the -fairway bunker irksome are aware of what is required.
However, we are commenting on whether it is satisfactory to design a golf course so that a drive down the middle is punished by a hazard.
In the case on my course, it is on a par 5, so if you play short ( to avoid it),
there's a more than fair way to go.?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We don't have to pay to play competitions - and didn't at my previous clubs - we do have a couple of quid sweep and twos but they are optional. Can't see why anyone would insist on charging members.

At my club the £1.50 entry is used to pay for engraving, prize vouchers given out at the end of the year and engraved whisky glasses.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Bunkers in fairways? Non-issue in my view.
No difference from bunkers in front of greens that you must clear, brooks across fairways, tight dog-legs where if you hit driver you go too far. Straight shots where you might find trouble.

We have three par 4s where you have to drive over a tree or drive to the side of it, making the hole play longer and tighter. So shorter hitters are far more hindered than big hitters.
All these difficulties should be taken care of by course rating and slope rating.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
High handicappers rarely win anything at the Old Course or any other tougher tracks as they just don’t have the skill to play them - irrespective of any well placed bunkers.

The recent condition of gold courses eithe later start to the year with the weather has played into the hands of those with more shots - no rough to speak of and poorer greens - so they can get good scores in.

Now the grass has longer down the sides and round the greens and the greens are quicker and truer - it will aid those better players’ scores and hinder the less able as they just can’t cope with the harder conditions over 18 holes with their errant shot causing far more damage to their scorecard compared to low handicapper.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
High handicappers rarely win anything at the Old Course or any other tougher tracks as they just don’t have the skill to play them - irrespective of any well placed bunkers.

The recent condition of gold courses eithe later start to the year with the weather has played into the hands of those with more shots - no rough to speak of and poorer greens - so they can get good scores in.

Now the grass has longer down the sides and round the greens and the greens are quicker and truer - it will aid those better players’ scores and hinder the less able as they just can’t cope with the harder conditions over 18 holes with their errant shot causing far more damage to their scorecard compared to low handicapper.
definitely something in that, last year of our 10 silver trophies 9 were won by scratch a better players, this year the 3 we have had so far have been won by guys of 16 plus. No rough to speak of and the greens not great. It will be interesting what the scores are like this week at the Am , esp as there is some wind forcaste, which wasn't the case last time we had an elite comp. The rough is back and the greens really come good with the warm th of the last few weeks

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Plenty room either side - I hit a 180 yard slice and was on the green in two - have you been to the Old course - doesn't really have dunes - the undulations are all on the fairways
I was talking about West Lancs ! Have you been there ?
Tash mentioned the Old Course.
If you hit it 180 with a slice on the second at WL you would not be getting anywhere near the green unless you can hit it 320 yds out the rough.

Just had a look on the website and there’s TWO bunkers now. But they have made them smaller.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Those of us who find the middle -of -the -fairway bunker irksome are aware of what is required.
However, we are commenting on whether it is satisfactory to design a golf course so that a drive down the middle is punished by a hazard.
In the case on my course, it is on a par 5, so if you play short ( to avoid it),
Exactly.
It’s a lazy design to protect a short par five imo.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I was talking about West Lancs ! Have you been there ?
Tash mentioned the Old Course.
If you hit it 180 with a slice on the second at WL you would not be getting anywhere near the green unless you can hit it 320 yds out the rough.

Just had a look on the website and there’s TWO bunkers now. But they have made them smaller.
My apologies - I took Tashy's reference

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Me I see both sides. I played the old course and smacked one down the middle and found it in a pot bunker. Swear, not half. I could not see the point of it. 2 yards either side and it’s a brilliant drive. how’s that right, Am then told if I had a course planner I would not of played that shot. ?
but at Woodhall spa, there’s holes where you get your driver out and you know you second shot is out of bunkers so you manage the hole. If you cannot see a hazard. How do you know it’s there. ?
You Should have had a caddie at TOC, they would have told you to to hit it left on every hole, last time I played there I didn't see a bunker let alone to hear one:ROFLMAO:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm still puzzled about why you think it's wrong to put a hazard as a challenge in the middle of the fairway! It's a classic risk/reward situation/decision imo - or at least should be!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm still puzzled about why you think it's wrong to put a hazard as a challenge in the middle of the fairway! It's a classic risk/reward situation/decision imo - or at least should be!

Precisely, that's the kind of golf I love, sensible option lay up and leave yourself a longer second shot, or try to carry it or go to the side, get it and leave yourself an easier shot, mess up and your in a worse position than a laying up. Classic golf

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you put a bunker in the fairway like the one on WL second hole
If you lay up you can’t go for the green in two. That is the real risk and reward imo on that hole par 5.
If it’s a natural feature pond , big crater that’s fair enough but a man made one is not to my liking.
bunkers should on fairway edges and be in clusters.
Short one , medium one ,long one so everyone has to negotiate them.
Opinions differ that’s good we are all different .