The Open outside the UK

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If any new courses are added then Hoylake and st George's should be removed.
Having said that, if they want to move a major it should be the uspga as nobody really cares about that at the minute.
Who is 'they'. The USPGA certainly cares about the USPGA. 'US' PGA will never be outside the US, nor should it.
When are they taking Wimbledon to Madrid ?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Simple fact is that for UK golfers and UK golf business plying their trade across borders, the borders are more relevant than they used to be. In any case, I see no reason for UK golf to ‘lend’ its most historic, important and commercially valuable tournament to another country. And as far as the RoI celebrating a UK institution…well maybe, maybe not 🤔
The Open does not currently belong to the UK any more than it belonged to Scotland in those early days. The R&A is an international organisation and see no reason that it shouldn't take it's most prestigious tournament further afield as it has done with other events. I would not though want to see it move to non links as that has always been the point of difference between it and the other majors.

Last edited:

Bobthesock

Visit site
Who is 'they'. The USPGA certainly cares about the USPGA. 'US' PGA will never be outside the US, nor should it.
When are they taking Wimbledon to Madrid ?
Golf fans in general. I don't see it as any different than a normal PGA tour event, definitely behind the players. They had to move it earlier in the year as people weren't interested

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Golf fans in general. I don't see it as any different than a normal PGA tour event, definitely behind the players. They had to move it earlier in the year as people weren't interested
Thats not why it was moved.It was not moved because golf is more interesting in May. It was moved to make more space for the Fedex to be done before football season.

wjemather

Visit site
Thats not why it was moved.It was not moved because golf is more interesting in May. It was moved to make more space for the Fedex to be done before football season.
There were several contributing factors to the move, with football probably not top of the list for anyone but the PGAT. The Olympics was a significant factor, with the need to change dates to accommodate it every 4 years. The stifling weather across the Southern US in August was also a big consideration, with May giving the PGAoA a much greater choice of venues.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Maybe that's the "official" reason. If there was a poll of favourite competition with the 4 majors, the Ryder cup and the players, where do you think the uspga would come?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Maybe that's the "official" reason. If there was a poll of favourite competition with the 4 majors, the Ryder cup and the players, where do you think the uspga would come?
4th. Its a major. It ranks the all time greats. The Ryder Cup is good entertainment when it isnt a blowout. But not even near the USPGA even if it is the 4th ranked major. The Players is nice, but essentially just A N Other elevated tour event.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
4th. Its a major. It ranks the all time greats. The Ryder Cup is good entertainment when it isnt a blowout. But not even near the USPGA even if it is the 4th ranked major. The Players is nice, but essentially just A N Other elevated tour event.

But... but... but the commentary teams are always telling us its the unofficial 5th major 😱

Bobthesock

Visit site
To Me the players is far more interesting than the uspga. I very much doubt the average golf fan could even tell you where the last one was or who won it.

simsini

Visit site
Can't wait to see the Open de Espana played in the Algarve, the KLM Open played in Antwerp, or the Australian Open played in Wellington too.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Why would they want to do this? I'm not seeing the incentive, unless there is an enormous amount of cash to be handed over by the course in Ireland.

No reason for the R & A to do this, unless they want to generate activity on golf forums.........
It’s a no from me as well. The open is a British event steeped in history. Branching it out would water it down in my opinion and open the doors for it to permanently transfer to another country like the US or Saudi.

If anything ditch a pga major and have a world open links event that moves each year.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
If people insist that it is called The Open and not linked to a geographical location then this debate (can of worms) can be opened. Can’t imagine the French Open being held beyond its borders.
Might be misreading your comment but the open isn’t the British open. It’s the open as it’s the original. Like the English FA is the FA

D

Deleted member 1740

The Open needs to go back to Turnberry before it considers taking it to Ireland.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s a no from me as well. The open is a British event steeped in history. Branching it out would water it down in my opinion and open the doors for it to permanently transfer to another country like the US or Saudi.

If anything ditch a pga major and have a world open links event that moves each year.

It’s heck of leap from going to Ireland to moving it to the US and Saudi. Just because the R&A move to a course within 100miles of where it’s also held doesn’t mean it’s going to then move even further out - Ireland is very much part of the “British” history

The Open needs to go back to Turnberry before it considers taking it to Ireland.

Will happen the minute it’s sold

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It’s heck of leap from going to Ireland to moving it to the US and Saudi. Just because the R&A move to a course within 100miles of where it’s also held doesn’t mean it’s going to then move even further out - Ireland is very much part of the “British” history

Will happen the minute it’s sold
technically so is America. I see a benefit of it being GBI but is that what it is really about?