Hole Length at 2024 Open

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
Our par 5s are

503 yards black tee (480 whites) usually down wind

502 yards black tee (477 whites) normally into wind off the tee and then dog leg left .. making even long hitters struggle to get at in 2

634 yards black tee (599 white) always into wind. Elevated tee making it very exposed to any luck of wind.

581 yards black tee (527 white) again into wind, fairway all rolls left ...all the way down the left side is a sand waste area

The par 5s are definitely the toughest holes
Depends on handicap. Par 5’s for low handicappers are very much the easiest holes. Pretty much always birdie chances.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
I'm below 5 and have more chance of a birdie on a par 5 than a long par 4 but take nothing for granted.
Our first hole is a 480 yard par 5 with a stream right in front of the green, I rarely try and get on in 2.
The others are 530 and 540. I rarely reach in 2.
When I returned to the game I was chatting to the pro who got my game back on track. I remember him saying that the better you get the harder par 3’s seem and the easier par 5’s seem.
The better I’ve got, the more I agree with him.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The youth was 20 yards short of a par 5 tonight in two - it's only 500 yards and one he'll be looking to start making birdies regularly as he progresses. When I was his age I hated par 5's - just seemed like more opportunities to hit the ball in the wrong direction and make a big score whereas a par 3 would be a chance to hit the target and make a par or even better.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When I returned to the game I was chatting to the pro who got my game back on track. I remember him saying that the better you get the harder par 3’s seem and the easier par 5’s seem.
The better I’ve got, the more I agree with him.

I'm no low handicapper but agree with this, often par 3's will be where handicap shots are lost in stableford comps, adding pressure to par it

And in medal (& forgetting going for par 5's in 2)... the 3rd shot into a par 5 will very often be a shorter/easier shot than any of the tee shots on Par 3's. So par 3's don't just seem harder, they really are harder