The Open outside the UK

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As far as I'm aware there are no boundaries in the golf union of Ireland.
Golfers are golfers we should enjoy each other's company and successes not be divided by artificially constructed bounds.
BIB - as much as I might agree - we can’t go down that route of discussion.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
BIB - as much as I might agree - we can’t go down that route of discussion.
I am not really talking about the rights and wrongs of the boundaries which I agree is a complete hornets nest and very divisive.
I'm just saying as golfers they are not important or relevant.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am not really talking about the rights and wrongs of the boundaries which I agree is a complete hornets nest and very divisive.
Simple fact is that for UK golfers and UK golf business plying their trade across borders, the borders are more relevant than they used to be. In any case, I see no reason for UK golf to ‘lend’ its most historic, important and commercially valuable tournament to another country. And as far as the RoI celebrating a UK institution…well maybe, maybe not 🤔

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The question is whether golf would benefit from having one of its most prestigious competitions being held somewhere with fantastic traditional links courses a fabulous golfing heritage and knowledgeable and enthusiastic spectators.
= UK

wjemather

Visit site
Simple fact is that for UK golfers and UK golf business plying their trade across borders, the borders are more relevant than they used to be. In any case, I see no reason for UK golf to ‘lend’ its most historic, important and commercially valuable tournament to another country. And as far as the RoI celebrating a UK institution…well maybe, maybe not 🤔
But it is neither the "UK Open Championship" nor the "British Open Championship"; and the UK does not own the championship.

Seems perfectly natural that The R&A would look at "Great Britain and Ireland" as a whole when considering potential new venues.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s almost staggering that you have found a way to get close to it being political but must applaud you

When you are talking about taking it to another country

Which country are we talking about as the Open already goes to three countries

Also as many have said it’s called “British Open” and Ireland are part of the British Isles 🤷‍♂️

The Open goes to Portrush and is part of Golf Ireland - all the golfers in Ireland arw under the same blanket , in the same way I’m guessing no one has issues with British Lions and Ireland being part of it because their rugby comes under 1 umbrella

So with the event already being played over the water in N Ireland it’s not a huge stretch to drop it down 100 miles

Now if the talk was about it going to France , Denmark etc then I could understand the pitchforks

But Ireland are as much a part of the nations history and heritage

It’s The Open - it’s not the UK Open or British Open and I’m not aware that the R&A believe it should be limited to England , Scotland and N Ireland - they certainly don’t think that when looking at their three major Amatuer competitions

D-S

Visit site
So we'll go for the Scottish Open in Basingstoke.
I think the Scottish Open is usually played on a links course as a warm up got the Open so I doubt whether the prestigious Basingstoke links would be quite authentic enough.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s almost staggering that you have found a way to get close to it being political but must applaud you

Also as many have said it’s called “British Open” and Ireland are part of the British Isles 🤷‍♂️

The Open goes to Portrush and is part of Golf Ireland - all the golfers in Ireland arw under the same blanket , in the same way I’m guessing no one has issues with British Lions and Ireland being part of it because their rugby comes under 1 umbrella

So with the event already being played over the water in N Ireland it’s not a huge stretch to drop it down 100 miles

Now if the talk was about it going to France , Denmark etc then I could understand the pitchforks

It’s The Open - it’s not the UK Open or British Open and I’m not aware that the R&A believe it should be limited to England , Scotland and N Ireland - they certainly don’t think that when looking at their three major Amatuer competitions
Sorry Phil, but of course it’s the ‘British’ Open - that we in this country choose to refer to it as The Open is simply down to historical precedent relative to all subsequent Opens.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For the first thirty years or so it was held exclusively in Scotland.
The Ryder cup has improved since being opened up.
Bringing in further Irish links coursed with a rich golfing heritage and enthusiastic population would benefit the Open and golf in my view

HeftyHacker

Visit site

The are known as the British and Irish Lions though tbf.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry Phil, but of course it’s the ‘British’ Open - that we in this country choose to refer to it as The Open is simply down to historical precedent relative to all subsequent Opens.

It’s not the British Open , it’s not the UK Open - it’s not defined by boundaries

There are Scottish , Irish and used to be Welsh and English Opens

The Open is a stand-alone - it should imo be spread across the two Isles.

Imo there is no doubt that it will go to Wales and then into Ireland at some stage.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It’s not the British Open , it’s not the UK Open - it’s not defined by boundaries

There are Scottish , Irish and used to be Welsh and English Opens

The Open is a stand-alone - it should imo be spread across the two Isles.

Imo there is no doubt that it will go to Wales and then into Ireland at some stage.

I think you’re both being naive if you think no one will make political capital out of it or that it won’t cause division outside of golf. I do think there’s merit it in moving certain comps around Europe/the globe. And if you take it to the nth degree, why not have the Open at Kiawah Island, North Carolina. Once it gets to the States, do you think it’ll come back?

As for they’ve done it with the Ryder Cup… the Ryder Cup team is made up of Europeans. Why wouldn’t they move it around?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When The Open was first held in 1860 the UK was officially the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and had been so for over half the 19th century.

I don’t think people should need reminded of what led to Ireland not being British in the early 20th century. However. For 80 years Ireland could have hosted a “british” Open without question.

The Open is older than the modern UK as it stands. I don’t see any reason why Ireland shouldn’t host an Open as it has a historic hand in it, the same way England does.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think you’re both being naive if you think no one will make political capital out of it or that it won’t cause division outside of golf. I do think there’s merit it in moving certain comps around Europe/the globe. And if you take it to the nth degree, why not have the Open at Kiawah Island, North Carolina. Once it gets to the States, do you think it’ll come back?

As for they’ve done it with the Ryder Cup… the Ryder Cup team is made up of Europeans. Why wouldn’t they move it around?

Why would it be taken the US 🤷‍♂️

They have their major governing body covering the US with their majors - can’t see a single reason why the R&A would even consider taken The Open to the US

The R&A already have multiple competitions that include Ireland

All the Home Internationals include Ireland , then add in the multiple amatuer competitions the R&A host in Ireland and in the future

It’s not going to take The Open to mainland Europe etc just because they go to a country they already host events and there is a historical and traditional golf link too

The Amatuer will be hosted there first and then the Women’s Open and then the Open at some stage imo.

The main reason that Portmarnock hasn’t been looked at in the past is not because of its location but because of their policy on Lady members ( same as Muirfield ) - and the change is why they have the Women’s Amatuer coming up

“if” -Ireland became one again as it was - then they would still host it at Portrush

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
When The Open was first held in 1860 the UK was officially the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and had been so for over half the 19th century.

I don’t think people should need reminded of what led to Ireland not being British in the early 20th century. However. For 80 years Ireland could have hosted a “british” Open without question.

The Open is older than the modern UK as it stands. I don’t see any reason why Ireland shouldn’t host an Open as it has a historic hand in it, the same way England does.
A bit like the UK and Brexit though, once you leave, you leave. You cannot still expect to have the nice bits as if you are still a member of the union.

Bobthesock

Visit site
If any new courses are added then Hoylake and st George's should be removed.
Having said that, if they want to move a major it should be the uspga as nobody really cares about that at the minute.