The Open outside the UK

D

Deleted member 15344

This is it really. Its not as though there are waaaay better courses outside the UK that suddenly enhance the tournament - off the top of my head, outside of the current Open Roster you could take it to Royal County Down, Skibo Castle, Cruden Bay, Aberdeen, Silloth or back to Cinque Ports or Princes or - radical idea - before moving it to a new country outside the UK how about trying a new one WITHIN the UK and going to St Davids or Porthcawl?

There are many great links courses around the UK but not all could host The Open for a number of reasons

I think there is a big leap being talked about by going to mainland Europe - I don’t think The R&A would even have a first thought about doing that - but going to Ireland isn’t a huge leap

And there aren’t many “links” courses around mainland Europe that would even be looked at

wjemather

Visit site
The Amateur Championship, aka the "British Amateur", went to Portmarnock in 1949 and 2019.
I see no reason why The Open Championship shouldn't go there also, but would rather see Turnberry back on the rota - and less of the Old Course until distances get rolled back (when they could also add in somewhere like Porthcawl - or any number of other great links courses - without having to find another 500+ yards).

D-S

Visit site
If people insist that it is called The Open and not linked to a geographical location then this debate (can of worms) can be opened. Can’t imagine the French Open being held beyond its borders.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why would they want to do this? I'm not seeing the incentive, unless there is an enormous amount of cash to be handed over by the course in Ireland.

No reason for the R & A to do this, unless they want to generate activity on golf forums.........

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The R&A have been up and down to Porthcawl for several years. Much of the gorse was taken out to improve spectator movement. Successful hosting of the Seniors more than once, Women's Open is there soon too.

Surely this is the next new venue? Can't be long before Turnberry is nationalised and then can have the Open again!😁😁

D

Deleted member 15344

Why would they want to do this? I'm not seeing the incentive, unless there is an enormous amount of cash to be handed over by the course in Ireland.

No reason for the R & A to do this, unless they want to generate activity on golf forums.........

The question should be why wouldn’t they

The reaction and crowds at Portrush were outstanding and there is no doubt you would get the same reaction

It’s a stunning course , the players will love it , the crowds will love it - it could be a great Open there

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The question should be why wouldn’t they

The reaction and crowds at Portrush were outstanding and there is no doubt you would get the same reaction

It’s a stunning course , the players will love it , the crowds will love it - it could be a great Open there
Why wouldn't they? As multiple people have already posted, there are many other course in the UK that could host it that don't currently get the chance. Why throw it to a course outside of the UK? It would be an insult to the many course that are vying to get on the list.

Portrush is within the UK, no reason why it wont return there, or to another course in NI. Outside the UK, nope.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no doubt that it would be a great Open but I am naturally cynical and suspicious, especially with a current Open rosta that sees most courses host the event far too few times. My concern is a slow erosion of what the Open traditionally is, a weakening of its position within golf that has been protected by a strong shield of tradition. that may be tinfoil hat type talking but in the current golf climate, who knows.

To quote CS Lewis, the safest road to Hell is the gradual one, the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signpost

Grizzly

Visit site
There are many great links courses around the UK but not all could host The Open for a number of reasons

Oh, of course - as lovely as it is, the idea of taking tens of thousands of fans and two hundred elite sportsmen with their entourages up to Silloth brings tears of laughter!

D

Deleted member 15344

Why wouldn't they? As multiple people have already posted, there are many other course in the UK that could host it that don't currently get the chance. Why throw it to a course outside of the UK? It would be an insult to the many course that are vying to get on the list.

Portrush is within the UK, no reason why it wont return there, or to another course in NI. Outside the UK, nope.

Not every course can host The Open for many reasons - we can all name loads of good links courses but do they actually want to host The Open , can they host it , do they have the infrastructure at the course and nearby for to cope - how many are “vying” to get The Open

It’s not an “insult” by any stretch

It’s only Ireland - there is no real reason why The Open can’t be hosted on one their stunning courses alongside all the others that host one now - and that should also include Wales

A Rota of England , Ireland , Scotland , Wales would be excellent

It won’t weaken the event - if any anything it may enhance it.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not overly traditional, but I do think The Open would lose something if it wasn't played on links courses.
Ninety nine % of tournament's are played on the other types of courses and I like watching players battle the elements and playing shots that you don't see 51 weeks of the year.
Totally agree. The open 100% needs to stay unique and only on links course in the UK!

wjemather

Visit site

Most of the courses suggested simply cannot host as they are, even if they wanted to - which most do not. Almost all would require significant course changes (500+ yard lengthening) - just over 7000 yards is only ok for the seniors; many don't have sufficient additional land for all the on-site facilities required for a modern Open; several lack adequate transport links and other local amenities to host tens of thousands of visitors; etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most of the courses suggested simply cannot host as they are, even if they wanted to - which most do not. Almost all would require significant course changes (500+ yard lengthening) - just over 7000 yards is only ok for the seniors; many don't have sufficient additional land for all the on-site facilities required for a modern Open; several lack adequate transport links and other local amenities to host tens of thousands of visitors; etc.

There are 9 courses that have hosted the Open that are all capable of hosting it again. 1, Turnberry, should be on the list but isn't for reasons we all know. This is before any others suggested are added. Considering they work on a 3-5 year cycle and St Andrews has to be used every 5yrs I believe, meaning 8 courses vying for 4 opportunities each time.

In terms of transport links and amenities required for a new venue to be considered, the reality is if there is a will there is a way. Massive park and ride schemes, buses, trains etc, it is all manageable if they really want to go somewhere. That is not an obstacle. Big course changes, up to each venue if they want to go down that road.

No new courses are particularly needed though, although having one in Wales should be a priority imo.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No, and er, no. Why not play the Irish Open at Portmarnock every year and for the Irish PGA build it up to the level of the 5th Major/TPC? Maybe, ultimately, it might become a Major in its own right. By all means include a few more courses onto the rota, including top courses from Wales & Northern Ireland. Cruden Bay, with 27 holes available and a mountain of mounds for spectators, would make an ideal Open venue, especially with an airport and a multitude of hotels close by.

i’m sorry, but for Rory to suggest Ireland, I’m inclined to think it’s a (subconscious) political desire too. Definitely NO.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Totally agree. The open 100% needs to stay unique and only on links course in the UK!
Should Scotland get independence would the Open then stay in Scotland?

If Ireland is to reunite should Portrush go off the rota?
The Open in my view is above political boundaries. The Open started in Scotland but golf grew pretty quickly throughout the British Isles. I do see why any part should not hold the Open if the course is appropriate. Great Links courses are throughout the Islands.