The Mental Health Thread

D

Deleted member 16999

I’ve been involved with mental health issues/problems on both sides of the table for many years.

We are far better now than we’ve ever been in dealing with it or discussing it and there is still a long long way to go.

I have no issue with D4S’s posts as none of us have walked in his shoes and I’d argue we/this thread needs people like him to contribute in the way he has so others can reply and discuss the different ways we cope.

To close him down helps no one, especially Gordon himself.

Helping him or educating him (in your opinion) may help others.

Nobody should be excluded from these discussions, somebody out there might just get the help or inspiration from discussing the subject, warts and all.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It’s well documented here that a couple of years ago I had a serious medical accident that caused massive internal bleeding requiring major surgery and 3 x my body volume in blood transfusions.

Somehow I’m still here, but the aftermath on my mental health was not good, diagnosed with traumatic stress I had reoccurring night terrors leading to being scared to sleep leading to being unable to function properly.

Tried CBT which didn’t do much, then a different therapist tried EMDR, which hit the spot and now I have no bad dreams and I consider myself cured.

But what it has done is made me aware that if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.

Gone are the days of “ pull yourself together “

If anyone feels that they need to talk
Just PM ?
Just as long as its not me eh fam. ;)

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe we just shouldn’t be so judgemental when it comes to mental health, we are all different and there isn’t a “one size fits all” answer.

People have varying coping strategies, some of which could possibly be the exact opposite of what “we” as individuals need.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
When you're depressed and think things can only get better, you're wrong.
They can only tend to get worse. That's the way the Universe works.
The worst is yet to come.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The problem with that is when someones mind is not fuctioning rationally logic is often not logical.

I 100% agree with this. I had an issue at work and the only thing I could think of to sort it out was to lie and that would’ve ruined my career.
A 20 minute chat with my boss and an open conversation with the insurers and all was sorted.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
The problem with that is when someones mind is not fuctioning rationally logic is often not logical.
Indeed,what can seem like something trivial to the casual observer, can often be causing great distress.
I've been dealing with mental illness in one form or another all my life, people are talking about it more now which is good, but the times i've made an effort to discuss and seek assistance have sadly been met with ignorance and prejudice.

birdyhunter

Visit site
Will happily talk to you over PM. But can you exit this thread as you are not contributing apart from showing how manly you are

I was manly, I was an Alpha Male with a good job, friends, social life... I thought I had it all. And yes, I would probably have posted that 'it's not an issue, I can deal with it".

4 years ago my wife contracted breast cancer which spread to her lymph nodes and her health deterioriated over 2 years after which she passed away.

I'm now left with 2 teenagers who have no mother, their life has fallen apart and all the normal things in life like having parents watch you get exam results, jobs, get married, won't happen.

I thought I could cope. I though I was the guy that said, 'it's not an issue, I can cope with it', but believe me, it's not always that way.

Last edited:

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I am not trying to belittle this very serious thread in any way. If I told you some of my life experiences I would probably fall into high risk groups for mental health issues but there are simple and effective ways for dealing with things. Keep things in perspective, appreciate what you have in life, there is always someone worse off than you etc etc. The list of cliches is endless.

I only kicked off as that's a stigma we need to get rid of, it's dangerous mate.

I too used to be too manly to admit I had a problem. Unfortunately in a month span I had to sign my mums Do not resuscitate order/organise a funeral aged 24, my fiance flew back to the US for another bloke whilst I was at work and I lost my job. I faked a smile, never shed a tear and convinced everyone I was doing really well including me. Until one night I couldn't do it anymore at tried to take my own life, resulting in a 3 weeks stay in ICU and irreversible damage to my body.

If I'd been open to help, that wouldn't of happened. There are 1000's of men who did what I did, but were better at it, leaving kids without dads and wives without husbands. If talking openly gets one person to change their mind, the whole thing has been a success.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I only kicked off as that's a stigma we need to get rid of, it's dangerous mate....
You failed to mention that you follow West Ham! Personal experience indicates that's been seriously depressing of late!
BTW. I hope things improve for you.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Those with mental health issues are the greatest actors in the world; just like a swan on water, beautifully gliding through life whilst underneath frantically thrashing around.

U

User62651

Great so see so many people talk openly about and share mental health concerns. Even writing troublesome things down is therapy in itself.
Getting all views is good, some lucky people do actually manage through life being confident and happy just about all the time.
A simpler life is what people need, we didn't evolve to do what 99% of us do. Pressure and responsibility takes it's toll on the brain.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just a quick check in.

How's everyone feeling about the Lockdown? Didn't think I'd be too fussed, but haven't slept yet.

i sat and cried at the news as i hate being stuck indoors and not being able to get to my caravan for a break. i have struggled with my MH massively since before the first lockdown and playing golf or getting to the range was a big help for me.

i know these are "first world problems" but to me they have been an important part of my road to "recovery"

it hasn't helped that i am self isolation as my daughter tested positive and nether Mrs d's or my test result has come back so i am dreading the thought of a further period of isolation

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i sat and cried at the news as i hate being stuck indoors and not being able to get to my caravan for a break. i have struggled with my MH massively since before the first lockdown and playing golf or getting to the range was a big help for me.

i know these are "first world problems" but to me they have been an important part of my road to "recovery"

it hasn't helped that i am self isolation as my daughter tested positive and nether Mrs d's or my test result has come back so i am dreading the thought of a further period of isolation
I know it is easy for me to say buddy but one day at a time mate and never ever feel guilty for how you feel. ?