Does positive thinking help combat illness?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having a positive mindset is better for a person's mental well-being than a negative outlook. However, in saying this, a positive outlook shouldn't be a replacement for accepting and facing up to the facts and reality of health issues. It's not possible to overcome physical ailments by your mental strength IMO.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ten years.
That is the same as for radiotherapy which is what they belatedly gave me.
My last ever treatment was July 2011, so I've gone past the 10 years.
Yet I will be a patient forever because the PSA is part of my annual blood test at the local doctor.

Anyone over 50 should be able to request a free blood test, and what can you lose by not having it?

Make a note of the PC national helpline and if you have any query then give them a call Monday to Friday 9-5.
It's free and they will give you all the time you need.
Good luck.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
That is the same as for radiotherapy which is what they belatedly gave me.
My last ever treatment was July 2011, so I've gone past the 10 years.
Yet I will be a patient forever because the PSA is part of my annual blood test at the local doctor.

Anyone over 50 should be able to request a free blood test, and what can you lose by not having it?

Make a note of the PC national helpline and if you have any query then give them a call Monday to Friday 9-5.
It's free and they will give you all the time you need.
Good luck.
Thanks for your words of advice - appreciated.

I’ve had the discussion with the doctors and am very realistic. This is the start of my journey, not the end of it, and my friends who think I’m now “cured” have an awful lot to learn.

My view now is that what will be will be. If I have a biochemical recurrence then I’ll deal with it. It’s just as likely, if not more so, that something else will happen anyway.

So I’m just hugely grateful. Grateful that it was found early, and blessed that I was able to have surgery because, as you obviously know, not everyone can. And I’m going to live my life to its fullest and without complaining, because not everyone has my good fortune to be able to do so.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The idea that aspirin can be of benefit as mentioned in your original post is not new.
Here is an extract from a recent report.
"The pooled results showed that PC patients who used aspirin or taking aspirin did not have lower PCSM than those who had not used".
(PC Specific Mortality).

Other post op treatments are available.
You could for instance try the healing power of crystals.
There is zero evidence they work, but they might act like a placebo.
As in the case of valium for trauma, which only works when you know you are taking it.

My advice is this:
If you are a smoker then stop right now. Not tomorrow but now.
It's always better not to consume alcohol.
Without having any special diet reduce what you eat.
Go for long walks to get the right amount of oxygen into your cells.
Walking also helps you think positive.
There is quite probably value to be had from meditation.
Unlikely though it seems, studies have shown that it actually helps protect your cells.

Do you know how many years you need to survive the radical surgery without any further issues before you are given the all clear?
This information can be obtained from your local PC support group or national helpline.

I’m not sure that your post is very helpful in terms of advice when taking aspirin. Pretty much all the pieces I have read suggest you are wrong. It may not lower the PCSM directly but has many side benefits that can make a difference.

That said, neither of us are anything more than informed readers of other people’s research.