Slow play - a positive experience in etiquette

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In a departure from the normal rants about slow play I thought I'd share our positive experience from Friday.

We took an early pm tee time at Pyecombe (15 mins north of Brighton) as we'd never played there before. If the members we encountered are indicative of the club as a whole we will be back with regularity.

Played the first few holes with nobody in sight and came up behind a fourball who'd teed off on the par 4 as we approached the tee box and they were already 20-30y clear. Immediately they saw us they called back and said we'll stand to the side as you tee off as you're a 2 ball and we'll hold you and the course up. In shock we thanked them and did so. Walked up the fairway with them and commented on how picturesque the course was etc. They concurred but cited memberships attitude as their reason for being members.

In total we were let through 4 times around the course without ever looking for it - we're only annoyed by those who choose to ignore etiquette and none of these were unreasonably slow, just larger groups.

We remarked in the bar of how positive our experience was and there was a common theme from those stood there - if you don't treat others with respect on the course it becomes a much less pleasant place to be, membership numbers drop and the club will stagnate/prices increase to cover the decrease in revenue.

What really resonated with me was one of the seniors saying he gets a 5 hour pass from the wife as he still works full time, has grandchildren, has a garden and house to do his share of. I'd of guess he was 60-65 and didn't say it with any resent, just that life is very busy and he appreciates that he can burn half a day on a game he loves. He went on to say that egos aren't tolerated amongst the members he knows if it's to the detriment of the club. In his exact words "small **** syndrome, not letting others through when you should". It was really nice to hear an older person relate to what puts off our age group (mid 30s) from playing - idiots regardless of age feel they have a right to ruin other people's enjoyment through pig headedness and refusal to respect that the majority of working people CAN'T burn the entire day.

I think the way he spoke about it was a thinly veiled dig at some of the other clubs in the area who have slow play issues.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
sound like a positive experience. I wish other golfers took this attitude on board.

I was playing at Tain Yesterday in the Club champs and as the course had been tough the day before a fair few had NR'd so didn't play the 2nd round, so a fair few 2 balls in among the 3 balls. It was quite gusty so we had to look for a ball on 3 and 4, so let a two ball though on each of those. TBH my PP were not that keen on letting them though until i explained what was the point in making these guys wait on the tee behind us??

in turn one of those 2 balls let us though a few holes later when they got in trouble. so treat others as you would hope to be treated.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a 3 ball yesterday and we let 2 x 2 balls through at the earliest opportunities, both within a hole and a half of them being in view. Do I get a smiley face badge? :clap:

Joking apart, they were happy and cheerful that we let them through straight away, we were happy that someone was not up our backs. Everyone wins and smiles all round in the bar afterwards. Never understood the grumps that refuse to let faster groups through.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The opening post is a welcome alternative to lot of others experiences

We were a 4-ball yesterday, 9am start and the buggy screen told us we were falling 8 minutes behind pace at the turn but we didn't pay any heed on this occasion.... (there was literally no one else on the whole course) ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

The opening post is a welcome alternative to lot of others experiences

We were a 4-ball yesterday, 9am start and the buggy screen told us we were falling 8 minutes behind pace at the turn but we didn't pay any heed on this occasion.... (there was literally no one else on the whole course) ;)

Maybe you should have called yourself through :D

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not a comment about slow play, but rather about Pyecombe where the OP played. I played there last year ... lovely picturesque course, but I wish I had brought my crampons with me. The first few holes are somewhat hilly!

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Wish I'd had the same experience on Monday. Played a s three-ball in a society comp. Whilst looking for my ball on the 5th we called the following 4-ball through who were waiting on the tee. Promptly found my ball, and we were then held up waiting on practically every shot for the rest of the round. They were marking cards on the greens, leaving trolleys in front o teh greens, and generally being a slow as possible. Back in the clubhouse one of the 4 even came up to me and apologised for holding us up. I said to him they could have called us back through, to which he replied , "Yes, they should have" as if it wasn't his decision to make, and blamed it on his PPs being octagenarians!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at Belleisle on Weds as a two ball and before we teed off the 4 ball in front of us invited us through but then we came up behind two groups waiting on the 3rd but as there was now another two ball behind us ( also let through) we asked them did they want to join up, which they accepted. We then enjoyed their company for the next two hours and thus negated any more slow play by being a 4 :) I do wonder why more pairs, if possible, don't do this more often as a, you meet new people and b, no need to get frustrated if not being called through .

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Kingswood in Surrey Wednesday and we were a 3 ball playing of the 10th behind 4 ladies. The bloke Im playing with was effing and jeffing at just how much they were going to hold us up and they better let us through. Apart from when he was going up the 12th the wrong way when they were coming down the right was we never even managed to catch them up.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In total we were let through 4 times around the course without ever looking for it - we're only annoyed by those who choose to ignore etiquette and none of these were unreasonably slow, just larger groups.

Were the first group that let you through not the mugs who paid a high price though in delay to their own round - cumulatively being delayed by you playing through four times. Generous of them. And of course you were glad of it. But I think the presumption that every body should delay their rounds thus is a little rich.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Were the first group that let you through not the mugs who paid a high price though in delay to their own round - cumulatively being delayed by you playing through four times. Generous of them. And of course you were glad of it. But I think the presumption that every body should delay their rounds thus is a little rich.

??? :confused: