Slow play

ntommo

Visit site
You cannot let a group through if there is another group in front. Let them through once there is a clear hole or almost so that they have a gap to fit into.
Letting a 2 ball through a field of 4 balls just because they are faster just slows donw the whole field, and the 2 ball is not VIP with rights over everyone else. It happens. But its just bad luck and they have to suck it up. They can make no complaint about slow play either.
If theres a load of 4 balls in front I agree you have to accept it but if theres only one or 2 groups just let the 2 balls through, theyre soon out of the way

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
In the summer of 2015, I was between contracts so I did a bit of casual work a Celtic Manor.

When you did Marshalling, it was really obvious who the slow players were. You drive the course from the 18th backwards, and you come to a gap.

You see a combination of all the stuff listed above. The only consistent thing is when you say,

"Bit of a gap ahead of you chaps, please try and close it over the next few holes"

It is NEVER their fault, ever. 😁

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the summer of 2015, I was between contracts so I did a bit of casual work a Celtic Manor.

When you did Marshalling, it was really obvious who the slow players were. You drive the course from the 18th backwards, and you come to a gap.

You see a combination of all the stuff listed above. The only consistent thing is when you say,

"Bit of a gap ahead of you chaps, please try and close it over the next few holes"

It is NEVER their fault, ever. 😁
Which is true. It isnt their fault. They are simply doing their thing. Others are doing their thing faster. The Fasters are not annointed Right Speed golfers, and anyone slower, is to be harried along to make up for their sloth.

Last edited by a moderator:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Which is true. It isnt their fault. They are simply doing their thing. Others are doing their thing faster. The Fasters are not annointed Right Speed golfers, and anyone slower, is to be harried along to make up for their sloth.

Sorry, I can't see that at all.

There are the fast, the less fast, the average and the less slow who make up the rest of the world .... slow is just slow!

"Slow and inconsiderate" could be more accurate as they didn't invoke their option to let others through.

Last edited by a moderator:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes it’s this at ours in comps.
Course speed is three ball and if you’re one short it’s just tough.
If you lose a hole yes let them through.
but if your up with the group ahead they will just have to stay where they are.
All the members know this
…and the two balls that are only twos due to drop out of their third? Simple. You let them through if it is very obvious that they are quicker than your 3 or 4 ball - and it usually becomes very obvious very quickly.

I estimate that our letting two 2-balls through in Saturday‘s medal maybe added 5 minutes to the length of our round.

And of course since we had a 11:14 tee time, when we let the first of the 2-balls through on the 3rd there was a full field of three balls ahead of us. And likewise for the second 2-ball on the 13th. That there was a full course ahead did not enter our thinking when calling the twos through as we knew what the club required of us, and as we played the call-throughs as I described earlier we actually did not hold up the following three ball.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

Incredibly unlikely if you've hit the same distance tee shot.. even a shank or a toe doesn't go straight right at 90 degrees.

As I said it was just an idea, wasn't planning to make it compulsory or anything. 😂 Using common sense you would know not to do it if you're in shanking radius of the other guy obviously.
You're not a proper golfer if you havent experienced this shot!!

D

Deleted member 1147

Give it a rest Doon. For a couple of years you became reasonably sensible with your posts but you are now drifting back to your earlier self. :rolleyes:
It’s not as if many people believe anything he posts

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A bunch of us are just back from Portugal. Had two of the slowest rounds I've ever played.

Faldo at Amendoeira - 5 1/2 hours. The course was ridiculously packed ahead of us. The starter apologized and said they were squeezing too many in. It's a long hard course, but this was taking the mickey.

Benamor - 5 1/4 hours. This one all caused by the party ahead of us. Four tee-times of 4 players. Their 2nd group was woefully slow - lost 2 holes on the game in front by the 9th. Benamor is a short easy course so 2 3/4 hours for 9 holes was something special. Waiting ages on every tee and every approach ruined both rounds for all of us.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out as a 2 ball today
Started about 7.40.
Nobody in front, nobody behind..nearest group at least 5 holes away
Took our time in the sun, had a glorious chat, played some golf, both walked off with 33 points and...
It took 4 1/4 hours...

Loved every second of it :ROFLMAO:

TheHeron

Visit site
I've noticed at my local that slow play generally seems to effect the front 9 more so then the back and to me the solution is fairly obvious, warm up! Honestly, the amount of high HC golfers like myself who DON'T warm up before a round is insane to me. Our nets are almost always empty when I go to them and the amount of people you see go straight form the pro shop to the tee is madness. Could never go into a round cold like that, I need at least 5 minutes swinging into the nets otherwise I'm guaranteed to shank one onto the 18th green!

(Also, hey everyone 👋)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've noticed at my local that slow play generally seems to effect the front 9 more so then the back and to me the solution is fairly obvious, warm up! Honestly, the amount of high HC golfers like myself who DON'T warm up before a round is insane to me. Our nets are almost always empty when I go to them and the amount of people you see go straight form the pro shop to the tee is madness. Could never go into a round cold like that, I need at least 5 minutes swinging into the nets otherwise I'm guaranteed to shank one onto the 18th green!

(Also, hey everyone 👋)

I would add that slow play on the front 9 is sometimes because there are not big enough gaps between tee times or people are not leaving gaps or simply that you have a stream of people in a row and so any mistake can be a hold up. As the round goes on, groups spread out a bit and the speed of play is smoother.

At one of my old courses, the half way hut was a god send because then most people stopped and then headed for the tee when the group ahead reached the next green. The bank 9 was always beautifully spaced out with little congestion and a made for a lovely, smooth, relaxed 9 holes of golf.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I would add that slow play on the front 9 is sometimes because there are not big enough gaps between tee times or people are not leaving gaps or simply that you have a stream of people in a row and so any mistake can be a hold up. As the round goes on, groups spread out a bit and the speed of play is smoother.

At one of my old courses, the half way hut was a god send because then most people stopped and then headed for the tee when the group ahead reached the next green. The bank 9 was always beautifully spaced out with little congestion and a made for a lovely, smooth, relaxed 9 holes of golf.
We don't have tee times most of the time..as a result a group starts when the group in front is out of range.
When we do have tee times(10 minute intervals) a group doesn't tee off until the group in front are at least on the green, sometimes leaving it.
And the flow is much better.
The back o flows well naturally as we go par 3,4 5, 3,4 5, 3,4,5...the par 3s creating space.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
a guy in our swindle last week moaned that it took him 3 1/2 hours to get round.....9 holes.

the 6 ball turned into an 8 ball after 2 scrotes jumped the fence on the 3rd. oh and they were sharing 2 bags of clubs

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We don't have tee times most of the time..as a result a group starts when the group in front is out of range.
When we do have tee times(10 minute intervals) a group doesn't tee off until the group in front are at least on the green, sometimes leaving it.
And the flow is much better.
The back o flows well naturally as we go par 3,4 5, 3,4 5, 3,4,5...the par 3s creating space.

It was the out of range thing that was an issue. You could end up with 3 groups on the first hole (green, fairway and tee) then the next was a par 5 and so you could easily have 4 groups on that hole and then you get to a short par 4 and a par 3 and suddenly everything jams up.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Interesting. A lot of call throughs, as in how many roughly ? More than normal ? Possible that is really what made the difference ? People play at different paces, and the cry is always from the faster players as if they are gods that slower ones should speed up. Could you safe if everyone just played at their normal varied pace, but the flock as a whole adjusted itself to that with more focus on playing through.
And perhaps we could all remember, "It's not a race".

sjw

Visit site
a guy in our swindle last week moaned that it took him 3 1/2 hours to get round.....9 holes.

the 6 ball turned into an 8 ball after 2 scrotes jumped the fence on the 3rd. oh and they were sharing 2 bags of clubs
Did anyone phone the pro shop?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

If that’s at Barnhurst I’m not surprised