Slow play…….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the average hacker wasn't using a laser or watch, they'd be standing there looking at the 100 yd marker.....then the 150 marker.....then frying their brain trying to decide where in-between the two markers they actually are. You don't have to guess with a laser/watch, if you are half way decent using one it's faster..... and the result is more accurate.
I didnt say dont use a watch. On the contrary, do. You should.
I was only acknowleding the time wasted by lasers.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I were a lad, 18 holes never took more than 3 hours. My father used to say anything more than two and a half when he was playing was considered slow, or a beginner. Before the war, nobody took more than two hours apparently, and back in Young Tom Morris' day when he took an hour and a half around the Old Course, old Tom used to say to him he could have finished within the hour himself.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No-one should tell players to play faster or slower, it's their choice.

The only way to fix this is to let those who want to play quickly, play quickly, those who want to play slowly, play slowly and the rest in the middle.
And the only way that can happen is to encourage the quick players to go out first and the slower players out later.
The result....the faster players aren't held up and the slower players have no-one behind them.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I made a point about lasers, and how if you use them right they are quicker (imo)

Time to read watch? 1 second

Time spent doing an impression of Nelson on bridge of HMS Victory?

Anything from 20 seconds to several minutes ;)
You don't have to retrieve a watch from a pouch or from the bottom of a golf bag.

Mandofred

Visit site
Time to read watch? 1 second

Time spent doing an impression of Nelson on bridge of HMS Victory?

Anything from 20 seconds to several minutes ;)
You don't have to retrieve a watch from a pouch or from the bottom of a golf bag.
I would, I take my watch off when I play.....I'd do the same if I had a GPS watch. It takes me maybe 5 seconds to get my laser out and get the distance....yes, some people are a lot slower than that. I make sure the laser is VERY easy to reach since I use it all the time. I have a small gps in case it rains.....that goes in the same easy to get pocket. The point I was trying to make....and evidently doing it badly again.....is that there are lots of comments about slow play and how lasers etc are slowing things down. IMO they are a lot quicker than the "old days" of looking around to find the distance markers, then estimating where you are inbetween the markers and then deciding what club you want to use. I take 5 seconds to zap the distance, pull the club out that I need to hit that distance. Slow people are just slow people at everything.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not so much my current course but “ the honour” was only in match play. Shortest hitter first was the rule to keep up with the group in front. This only changed if the shorter hitter was one of the holes after a long walk or steep track to the tee as the duffers could be a bit short of breath

Do You tee off first then? ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played with a slow player yesterday. He did everything slowly, not just one thing. Club choice, practice swings, deciding what to do only after everyone has taken their shots. Everything was very deliberate and certainly slowed us down as a group.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played with a slow player yesterday. He did everything slowly, not just one thing. Club choice, practice swings, deciding what to do only after everyone has taken their shots. Everything was very deliberate and certainly slowed us down as a group.

They awkward question is did you tell them? Most slow players aren’t actually aware they are slow until they are told and educated although it’s always a sticky subject.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Slightly devil's advocate, but given there is a huge subjectivity around what is slow, is it fair to call someone up on what you think is slow play?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

But was he carrying too much timber? That’s the real issue…

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Slightly devil's advocate, but given there is a huge subjectivity around what is slow, is it fair to call someone up on what you think is slow play?

Simple answer to that is for the club to print times on the cards. Then you know at any point whether you are ahead, on or behind the clock and it ceases to be subjective.

It also resolves to some degree the issue of are you slow or are the ones behind quick? If you’re ahead of the clock and they’re still up your chuff let them go.

That of course introduces the next issue of how many people know the right way to let people through. ?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Simple answer to that is for the club to print times on the cards. Then you know at any point whether you are ahead, on or behind the clock and it ceases to be subjective.

It also resolves to some degree the issue of are you slow or are the ones behind quick? If you’re ahead of the clock and they’re still up your chuff let them go.

That of course introduces the next issue of how many people know the right way to let people through. ?

I’ve seen this on a few courses and more often than not I’ve been pretty much spot on the timings

Status
Not open for further replies.