Electric caddy carts - slow play culprits

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
While I will still maintain that the real driver of slower play over the last decades is the aping of the mannerisms of professionals from TV ; practice swings (yes, a modern affectation), glove on-glove off (I think A Palmer is to blame for the world acquiring that tic), etc, and more lately lasers, standing astride putts to feel the direction of the worms traffic or whatever they are doing, messing with shot trackers and phones, etc, today I realised there is another culprit hiding in plain sight - electric caddy cars.

Playing with three electric men, I was pushing my cart, and realised that despite the men not having to add the motive power, they were all nevertheless running them slower than I was pushing. Once seen, never unseen. And not sure how I hadnt noticed it before. Looking around the course I saw the same syndrome repeated elsewhere (I had the time, the round a right off from the 6th onwards).

Maybe it is the very power in the things that inhibits running them too quickly - slightly slower seems the instinct, maybe in order to ensure control and avoidance a runaway cart risk. Either way it is there, and undeniable. Pushing a cart or carrying a bag allows one to walk along briskly - the electric machine paradoxically a restraint not aid to walking speed.

Electric cart operators - next time you are motivated to complain about slow play, ask yourself about your bag transport choice. You are a contributor.

Disclosure - am always a push cart person. Never carry. Never motorised.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you a sweet or salted popcorn man Phil?
i.e. are you an operator of an electric machine, freewheeler, or carrier ?

(another truism of the slow play era is that for every golfer playing the game anything one does oneself does not contribute to slow play)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been a buggy (cart as Americans know them) user for nearly 30 years and have never been accused of slow play other than when I am playing with a slow player walking.

Generally I like to go at the same pace as the players who are walking so as to maintain the social side of the game although I will often shoot ahead when there is a ball that needs to be searched for to help the speed of the group overall.

Slow players are slow players regardless of their choice of bag carrier.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
My goodness. You were pushing your cart? That takes superhuman strength! Or do you mean trollies? 🤣
I wanted to type more but my popcorn needs attending.
Oh, and to do what I hate happening to a thread, I'm a sweet popcorn man. How about the rest of you?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i.e. are you an operator of an electric machine, freewheeler, or carrier ?

(another truism of the slow play era is that for every golfer playing the game anything one does oneself does not contribute to slow play)

I use an electric trolley at away courses and sometimes i change my shoes in the car park.

I’m expecting to be hung drawn and quartered at dawn for my crimes

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
While I will still maintain that the real driver of slower play over the last decades is the aping of the mannerisms of professionals from TV ; practice swings (yes, a modern affectation), glove on-glove off (I think A Palmer is to blame for the world acquiring that tic), etc, and more lately lasers, standing astride putts to feel the direction of the worms traffic or whatever they are doing, messing with shot trackers and phones, etc, today I realised there is another culprit hiding in plain sight - electric caddy cars.

Playing with three electric men, I was pushing my cart, and realised that despite the men not having to add the motive power, they were all nevertheless running them slower than I was pushing. Once seen, never unseen. And not sure how I hadnt noticed it before. Looking around the course I saw the same syndrome repeated elsewhere (I had the time, the round a right off from the 6th onwards).

Maybe it is the very power in the things that inhibits running them too quickly - slightly slower seems the instinct, maybe in order to ensure control and avoidance a runaway cart risk. Either way it is there, and undeniable. Pushing a cart or carrying a bag allows one to walk along briskly - the electric machine paradoxically a restraint not aid to walking speed.

Electric cart operators - next time you are motivated to complain about slow play, ask yourself about your bag transport choice. You are a contributor.

Disclosure - am always a push cart person. Never carry. Never motorised.

Did you take the initiative to demonstrate to the owners of these electric carts the additional feature of speed control therefore fixing the issue for eternity?

The more you post the more I’m convinced your user name is a second account as I doubt without incest running rife in your genes you could be such a Richard!

Ah… and I’m a caramel popcorn guy.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Did you take the initiative to demonstrate to the owners of these electric carts the additional feature of speed control therefore fixing the issue for eternity?

The more you post the more I’m convinced your user name is a second account as I doubt without incest running rife in your genes you could be such a Richard!

Ah… and I’m a caramel popcorn guy.
Butterkist, then? Some would argue that's not proper popcorn.