Etiquette & Slow Play

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Fulfilled a dream yesterday by playing The Old Course, for me it was everything I wanted from the day and more.

I went through the ballot on my own and was put in a 4 Ball with an Aussie, a Yank and a Bulgarian, all nice guys, the Yank and the Bulgarian had caddies, the Yank like me was playing it for the first time, the other 2 had also played it the day before.

Now, I had no intention of racing around and intended to enjoy every minute and also expected some good and bad Golf, anyway after 2 holes one of the caddies decided we were dropping back and asked us to play ready Golf, everyone agreed we would, but we also pointed out that it was a 2 Ball ahead of us.

The Bulgarian, who spoke perfect English, chose to ignore the ready Golf bit and insisted we play in turn, who had the honour on the tee, marked his ball then putted out 2-3 times from within 8 inches ( caddies were giving gimmees from 12 inches) etc, I totally get he may of wanted to have the full experience, but it did lead to some frustration when on the 10th he was just off the green but closest to the pin and we other 3 were on the green, I thought as he was off the green he should come on and then etiquette of who puts first takes over. We all stood including his caddy waiting for him to play, he then walks to his bag to get a drink, his caddy then asks him to play and he refuses as he is closest, both Caddies told him he should come on the green and that's why they had not attended or removed the flag, as him and the caddies discussed the point, we other 3 played.

I'm not bothered which order we play in so long as everybody else agrees.

We finished in 4hrs 25mins which the Caddies remarked was probably 20-30 minutes slower than it shoukd of been.

Thinking about it overnight I expected somewhere in the region of the round taking 5hrs so was better than I thought, but having 1 in the group not willing to play ready Golf and the caddies getting us to play a bit quicker, really did give the impression of a slow round, so maybe sometimes it's more about the pressure we allow others to put on us rather than playing our own game.

Last edited by a moderator:

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fulfilled a dream yesterday by playing The Old Course, for me it was everything I wanted from the day and more.

I went through the ballot on my own and was put in a 4 Ball with an Aussie, a Yank and a Bulgarian, all nice guys, the Yank and the Bulgarian had caddies, the Yank like me was playing it for the first time, the other 2 had also played it the day before.

Now, I had no intention of racing around and intended to enjoy every minute and also expected some good and bad Golf, anyway after 2 holes one of the caddies decided we were dropping back and asked us to play ready Golf, everyone agreed we would, but we also pointed out that it was a 2 Ball ahead of us.

The Bulgarian, who spoke perfect English, chose to ignore the ready Golf bit and insisted we play in turn, who had the honour on the tee, marked his ball then putted out 2-3 times from within 8 inches ( caddies were giving gimmees from 12 inches) etc, I totally get he may of wanted to have the full experience, but it did lead to some frustration when on the 10th he was just off the green but closest to the pin and we other 3 were on the green, I thought as he was off the green he should come on and then etiquette of who puts first takes over. We all stood including his caddy waiting for him to play, he then walks to his bag to get a drink, his caddy then asks him to play and he refuses as he is closest, both Caddies told him he should come on the green and that's why they had not attended or removed the flag, as him and the caddies discussed the point, we other 3 played.

We finished in 4hrs 25mins which the Caddies remarked was probably 20-30 minutes slower than it shoukd of been.

Thinking about it overnight I expected somewhere in the region of the round taking 5hrs so was better than I thought, but having 1 in the group not willing to play ready Golf and the caddies getting us to play a bit quicker, really did give the impression of a slow round, so maybe sometimes it's more about the pressure we allow others to put on us rather than playing our own game.

For the money you pay to play on there I think i'd be a bit miffed if I was told to do it as quick as possible.
Would want to truly experience the course in my own time!

As for the Hungarian that's just petty, everyone else has agreed he should come on to the green and it takes a moment to hit his putt but never mind.

Hope you enjoyed the day regardless, always wanted to play and think i'm going to enter in the ballot for next year! :thup:

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I can see where you are coming from, but at the end of the day, he's possibly there for a weekend and may never get the chance to play the course again. I can understand why he wanted to hit every shot. Walking off the course with a scorecard knowing you've hit every shot on the Old Course at St Andrews is something special.

Not wanting to play ready golf though is a bit rude. Maybe honours off the tee could have been kept (knocked in a birdie? You probably want to take the honour!) but not playing from off the green is OTT.

However, and I know a lot of people here will disagree, 4 1/2 hours ain't too bad!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can see where you are coming from, but at the end of the day, he's possibly there for a weekend and may never get the chance to play the course again. I can understand why he wanted to hit every shot. Walking off the course with a scorecard knowing you've hit every shot on the Old Course at St Andrews is something special.

Not wanting to play ready golf though is a bit rude. Maybe honours off the tee could have been kept (knocked in a birdie? You probably want to take the honour!) but not playing from off the green is OTT.

However, and I know a lot of people here will disagree, 4 1/2 hours ain't too bad!

Yup. It's 4 1/2 in medals at ours. So you've done ok.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
4 1/2 hours isn't to bad round there. I'd want the full experience aswell and for the money you pay getting rushed round by a caddy probably looking to get finished as quick as possible so he can get another bag and make more money would annoy me. The green scenario however is pretty stupid!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They do try to actively manage the pace at the old course and do quite a good job of it imo to avoid it becoming a constant snail fest. Unchecked you know there would be people contriving to take 5.5 hours and affect/ruin the best part of 100 peoples experience.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
4 1/2 hours isn't to bad round there. I'd want the full experience aswell and for the money you pay getting rushed round by a caddy probably looking to get finished as quick as possible so he can get another bag and make more money would annoy me. The green scenario however is pretty stupid!

Could he not be doing it as that is what St Andrews ask of their caddies to ensure the golf is played at a decent pace to stop the selfishness and lack of etiquette of a few potentially ruin it for everyone playing behind them?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How can a 4 ball keep up with a 2 ball? It's pathetic for anyone to think they can. You pay good money for the most incredible experience of The Old Course and for caddies to expect you to pick up if it's within tap in range is again pathetic IMO.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
How can a 4 ball keep up with a 2 ball? It's pathetic for anyone to think they can. You pay good money for the most incredible experience of The Old Course and for caddies to expect you to pick up if it's within tap in range is again pathetic IMO.

Some on here won't give a putt in a two bob knockabout but now want people to pick up on the home of golf!?!?

If the caddy tried to rush me along without real good reason, I'd carry my own bag and let him go back in to find another.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site

No but you can play a round of golf around a very easily navigatable golf course (lack of places to lose balls and short walks) in whatever the time on the scorecard is. I think its something just a tad under 4 hours iirc.

Side question: How did the OP put into the ballot as a single? that is normally only for groups of 2+

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

A few people have hit the nail on the head here without realising it.

OK, so you all want to enjoy what is one of the best experiences in golf and I don't blame you. However, LOTS of people want to play the Old course and demand for tee times is extremely high. How difficult did you guys find it to get a time or how early were you queuing up at the starters hut? If people were allowed to dawdle round then even fewer would get to play it so play promptly and give others a chance as well :thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

if demand to play is so high why was the group in front only a 2 ball?

You can enter the ballot as a 2, 3 or 4ball and you have the option or not to allow others to fill up your group.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few people have hit the nail on the head here without realising it.

OK, so you all want to enjoy what is one of the best experiences in golf and I don't blame you. However, LOTS of people want to play the Old course and demand for tee times is extremely high. How difficult did you guys find it to get a time or how early were you queuing up at the starters hut? If people were allowed to dawdle round then even fewer would get to play it so play promptly and give others a chance as well :thup:

4.25 is hardly a dawdle though!?

I wouldn't fancy coming away without ever holing my ball!! (You've seen me putt, so that's a real possibility!)

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Could he not be doing it as that is what St Andrews ask of their caddies to ensure the golf is played at a decent pace to stop the selfishness and lack of etiquette of a few potentially ruin it for everyone playing behind them?

Aye maybe, or it could be " if we can rush them round in 4 hours It will leave us an extra hour to get more people out playing making us more money and you more money" An extra hour could mean in one of up to 7k for the golf club??
Maybe a wee bit cynical there but at £175 a round I'd be miffed at getting rushed and 4.5 hours for one of the biggest experiences in golf isn't a long time.

D

Deleted member 16999

Try and answer it all, entered Ballot as a single last year, no problem as this is allowed, 2 Ball in front of us as 2 people failed to show up!
We were never rushed by the caddies, just asked if we could be ready to play and reminded 2-3 times.
Caught the 2 ball at the halfway hut and had 5 minute wait to get a drink etc, 4 Ball behind us waited from about 12th hole for us quite a few times.
The Caddies when attending the flag knocked the ball back to you if it finished within a foot, when not attending they would shout, that's a gimme. This didn't take anything off the day for me, the pleasure was getting them so close when not dropping.

None of the points raised by myself distracted from a fantastic experience, simply observations.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I play in won't be using a caddie.

While I appreciate the work they do.

Knocking back my ball when I don't want it done is ridiculous.

You can imagine these rules were brought it after some Americans completely took the piss.

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems quite clear that one of the group was solely focused on how he wanted to enjoy the day he failed to show common sense , respect and consideration for the rest of the fourball and the people behind him

Worrying about honour , not playing ready golf when it will help the rest of the field.

Seems that the caddies and three of the players were able to take the rest of the field into consideration and one was purely selfish and is a clear contributer to slow play problems

Playing ready golf and forgetting about honour is just sensible play that shouldn't distract from the expirence of the day - don't agree on the knocking the balls back though as it takes two secs to knock it in yourself

D

Deleted Member 1156

4.25 is hardly a dawdle though!?

I wouldn't fancy coming away without ever holing my ball!! (You've seen me putt, so that's a real possibility!)

I agree, for a championship course full of 4balls that is just about acceptable although as pointed out, TOC is not the hardest course to lose balls on. I guess the issue is that without the caddies pushing people on it could easily extend out to 5+hrs.