Slow play again

sunshine

Visit site
Yes, but several other factors should also be taken in to account.

Every player should be assessed for pace of play and be given a rating.
Categories of alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon should be used to identify speed of players.

A brave new world of amateur golf awaits.

Sorted.

Are you referring to Speed Rating or SR? This is an index from 0-54.

Everyone should record their SR on the scorecard, and enter their round times after completion into the score database. SR is recalculated over night, based on the difficulty of the course.

It’s a great feeling when you’ve completed a fast round and know you are getting an SR cut. Even better if you can tell everyone about it in the clubhouse later.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My old pro advocated for a 2 shot penalty for every round over 4 hours in a competition.
Genuine question, how long ago was that?
It also depends on length of course, length of distance between holes etc. One size does not fit all.

@PaulMdj have you played at Rockcliffe yet? Good luck getting around there in under 4 hrs even in a 3 ball, never mind 4 ball in a competition. Same for The Roxburghe, plenty of others as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's really fair for everyone who is not slow but are held up on every shot by those in front who are.🤷‍♂️
I played an invitation day at a posh club last summer. We were held up by the group in front from the 3rd hole onwards. Around the 8th a marshall spoke to them and then waited for us to reach the same point. He told us we needed to speed up. I asked him how we could do that without hitting into the group he had clearly seen were holding us up. He just blustered, repeated the same comment and drove off in his buggy. A group can only go as fast as that in front of them.

PaulMdj

Visit site
It also depends on length of course, length of distance between holes etc. One size does not fit all.

@PaulMdj have you played at Rockcliffe yet? Good luck getting around there in under 4 hrs even in a 3 ball, never mind 4 ball in a competition. Same for The Roxburghe, plenty of others as well.
Yes mate, long walks green to next tee!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Remedy Oak is the same. Some really long walks between greens and the next tee. And off the back tees the course is over 7,000 yards. You might not play from the back tees but you still have to walk past a lot of them to get to forward tees.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A guy in the group I now play in is slow. It isn't one thing, it's an accumulation. Slow onto the tee, slow psr, including exaggerated grip arrangement. Slow to choose a club, still doesn't get ready golf so waits even if he doesn't need to. When you find his ball after a search he insists on walking up to it to check, then walks back to his trolley. Just bring your trolley, we've already checked it is actually yours 🙄. Oh, and he takes an age to mark his card also.

He isn't playing with us next week. My pp and I need to have a chat to see how we can speed him up.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A guy in the group I now play in is slow. It isn't one thing, it's an accumulation. Slow onto the tee, slow psr, including exaggerated grip arrangement. Slow to choose a club, still doesn't get ready golf so waits even if he doesn't need to. When you find his ball after a search he insists on walking up to it to check, then walks back to his trolley. Just bring your trolley, we've already checked it is actually yours 🙄. Oh, and he takes an age to mark his card also.

He isn't playing with us next week. My pp and I need to have a chat to see how we can speed him up.

Just play at your pace, it’ll tow him along. If you end up miles ahead it’s simply a case of “ the sport now plays ready golf, so be ready “

Bobthesock

Visit site
It's ridiculous. In the winter roll ups 4 balls were getting round in 4 hours. Today's comp almost 5 hours in 3 balls. Waiting every single shot. 10 minute tee times as well. People take competitions far too seriously