Pitch marks - again.

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't read every post so apologies if this has been mentioned already.
Trolleys are the problem.

You hit your approach shot onto the green which lands on the front third of the green and bounces/rolls up pin high.
Then you wheel your trolley around the green towards the next tee which is often back left or right.
You then walk onto the green from the back and proceed to putt out walking back to your trolley by the same route.
At no time are you anywhere near your pitchmark and it's not seen or just forgotten.

If however you carry your bag, you walk up the green, passing and repairing your pitchmark on the way to your ball.
Problem solved.
So if you want smooth greens, ban trolleys.
Or put your ''please repair your pitchmark'' sign on the same side as the next tee so that golfers see it BEFORE they putt.
Not sure I see anyone walking across a green with a bag on their back. Trying to bend, repair a pitch mark whilst carrying a bag sounds pretty awkward.

People carrying tend to walk to the side of the green, front, right, left, back, etc, drop their bag off, walk to their ball. Remarkably like people do with their trolleys :). The responsible ones of us leave their trolleys and then retrace the shot to repair their pitch mark whilst others are cleaning their ball, lining up putts etc ;)

I agree with your signage point. Get it into people's heads.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming the green keepers would be happy. I’d buy a bunch of cans of chalk spray and ask them to spray a nice big offensive blob around every pitch mark they find each morning.

After a few days the greens will look a Dalmatian rug and then the members might start paying attention.

Otherwise without manpower and enforcement I don’t think there’s much hope of getting people to change their behaviour.

Humpy

Visit site
Maybe clubs need to have something attached to the flagstick or even written on the flag itself reminding players to repair any pitchmarks and rake bunkers before they leave the hole.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went out last night at 4pm and made a conscious effort to look for pitch marks to see what the greens were like. Thankfully, I hardly saw any apart from those made by our group - we must have a very polite membership at our place :):)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't read every post so apologies if this has been mentioned already.
Trolleys are the problem.

You hit your approach shot onto the green which lands on the front third of the green and bounces/rolls up pin high.
Then you wheel your trolley around the green towards the next tee which is often back left or right.
You then walk onto the green from the back and proceed to putt out walking back to your trolley by the same route.
At no time are you anywhere near your pitchmark and it's not seen or just forgotten.

If however you carry your bag, you walk up the green, passing and repairing your pitchmark on the way to your ball.
Problem solved.
So if you want smooth greens, ban trolleys.
Or put your ''please repair your pitchmark'' sign on the same side as the next tee so that golfers see it BEFORE they putt.
This is not true at all. I would never try and bend down to repair a pitch mark with my clubs still on my back, I'd probably fall over. :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site
Trying to bend, repair a pitch mark whilst carrying a bag sounds pretty awkward.

I would never try and bend down to repair a pitch mark with my clubs still on my back, I'd probably fall over.

I do this all the time if there's a pitch mark at the front of the green. Fully laden carry bag is about 10kg, straps on both shoulders, it's not awkward at all.

How are you bending over? Like this?

b0d9b44148c7cfabe2c8fb8372ef0b6f.jpg

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do this all the time if there's a pitch mark at the front of the green. Fully laden carry bag is about 10kg, straps on both shoulders, it's not awkward at all.

How are you bending over? Like this?

b0d9b44148c7cfabe2c8fb8372ef0b6f.jpg
A/ I can barely touch my knees with my legs straight, never mind get to that angle
B/ If I ever got to that angle the next stop off would be A & E o_O
C/ Who is she? Asking for a friend :whistle: