Where do you stand

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I literally couldn’t give a toss where someone stands when I’m teeing off, far more concerned that they just stand still and are quiet when I’m about to hit, but quite often that doesn’t really bother me.

After 7 shanks in my last round, make your choice wisely though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played a 4BBB match recently and one of the oppos had the hump about where I was stood while he was getting ready to take his shot. To me it doesn't matter as long as your stood still. Is there an accepted or good etiquette place to stand ?
You are kidding me 🫣🤣

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
By default on tee shots I tend to stand to the right of the tee blocks, in line with the where the right-handed player would be facing.

One of my mates doesn't like anyone standing behind the line of the shot (i.e. to his right when addressing the shot) as seeing someone out of the corner of his eye in his backswing puts him off. I don't think this is uncommon actually.

For me personally I don't like anyone standing directly behind me (so like left of the left tee marker) if I think they're a bit close because I can't see them and it feels like I might take their head off on my follow-through. People don't usually stand there anyway though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
By default on tee shots I tend to stand to the right of the tee blocks, in line with the where the right-handed player would be facing.

One of my mates doesn't like anyone standing behind the line of the shot (i.e. to his right when addressing the shot) as seeing someone out of the corner of his eye in his backswing puts him off. I don't think this is uncommon actually.

For me personally I don't like anyone standing directly behind me (so like left of the left tee marker) if I think they're a bit close because I can't see them and it feels like I might take their head off on my follow-through. People don't usually stand there anyway though.
BIB- Add me to the list your mate is on. Though it’s only really a thing on the tee (plus perhaps more obviously when putting).

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
So obvious he’s not a newbie 😂

I guess the mods can check the IP address of users if they want to.
Unfortunately it’s easy to mask an IP address these days

We do check IP addresses. We look at joining date ‘v’ those newly banned.We look at how many exclamation marks are used and all the other ‘tells.’ Then, having achieved very little, we wander back into the mod cave muttering.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site

I can’t decide if you are posting this question to try and convince everyone you are a newbie……

Or on the wind up

Anyhow this was done to death about 8 years ago, have a look at every post and we’ll see you in about a month 👍
Jeez man, is there an abridged version 😱🤣

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
68 pages on a thread about where to stand? And people say the forum was better years ago 🤣
…and that was probably just part 2…with part 1 closed after equally long and tortuous debate.

Actually the whole point of the original thread(s) was around etiquette and respecting the wishes of players you are with 🤪

And I think HNSP was coined by @Doon frae Troon to capture what I was going on (and on, and on…😜) about.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Tbf a lot depends on the tee box and size . I often play at a course where there are large tees and we will all wait on the tee, looking down the line as the is not so much room to the side . As long people are still and considerate I don't think it matters.
You see, and as I mentioned in a reply to a post by @Orikoru, that I personally do not like and I will often, if not always, ask folk standing there to move if there is an obvious and safe alternative. But let‘s not go there.😝

ETA…I think this comes from a recurring golfing nightmare I have in which, with loads of folks watching, I cannot find a place on the tee where I can complete my backswing…everyone else can but I can’t.🫣

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Played with a guy on Tuesday and Thursday this week in our fuddle with balls pulled out of a hat.
On Tuesday a PP said he has just had a word with the Guy as they had found his ball in the long grass and he proceeded to walk around it to stamp down the grass. Said PP said “ that’s deffo a no no”. He looked a bit sheepish. I told the guy who told me that he was lucky he had mentioned it as a few in our fuddle would have given him a mouth full. PP was bogged off because this guy has been playing 30 odd years and knows not to do it.
Roll onto Thursday and I knobbed one on a par three. I had a 40 yd chip into the green being the furthest from the pin. Just as my club is about to hit the ball he screams at the top of his voice one or two uncouth words. I half looked up and nobbed the ball sideways. I wondered what the hell was going off. He had played his shot and knocked it through the green. I spoke to another Pp a Couple of holes later and he had noticed it. He couldn’t understand why he had played out of turn without saying owt. The guy was 15 yds in front of me and 20 yds to the right. He went onto say a few of the guys in the fuddle have been a bit bogged off with his etiquette. That I didn’t know. He is a new guy to our place. But sometimes his course manners need A bit of work.

Isn’t that the definition of ready golf ……🤔😁