Electric caddy carts - slow play culprits

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I somehow missed this thread when it was originally posted, and after reading a couple of pages can only say I'm glad that I did.

But coming back to the OP, I think in some cases he has a point and I with my pull trolley regularly find myself having to wait for the electric crew to catch up.
Kindly don't go off the main topic. ;) What popcorn do you prefer?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
It depends.... If they melt the cheese then top notch, if its pre grated and just dumped on top - get in the bin.

Bonus points for cheese mixed throughout and not just a pile on top then melted too... (I will say they do this very well at my club)

A club I recently visited presented chips with two cheese slices on top. I have immediately alerted both interpol and the UN. Those poor members

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
While I will still maintain that the real driver of slower play over the last decades is the aping of the mannerisms of professionals from TV ; practice swings (yes, a modern affectation), glove on-glove off (I think A Palmer is to blame for the world acquiring that tic), etc, and more lately lasers, standing astride putts to feel the direction of the worms traffic or whatever they are doing, messing with shot trackers and phones, etc, today I realised there is another culprit hiding in plain sight - electric caddy cars.

Playing with three electric men, I was pushing my cart, and realised that despite the men not having to add the motive power, they were all nevertheless running them slower than I was pushing. Once seen, never unseen. And not sure how I hadnt noticed it before. Looking around the course I saw the same syndrome repeated elsewhere (I had the time, the round a right off from the 6th onwards).

Maybe it is the very power in the things that inhibits running them too quickly - slightly slower seems the instinct, maybe in order to ensure control and avoidance a runaway cart risk. Either way it is there, and undeniable. Pushing a cart or carrying a bag allows one to walk along briskly - the electric machine paradoxically a restraint not aid to walking speed.

Electric cart operators - next time you are motivated to complain about slow play, ask yourself about your bag transport choice. You are a contributor.

Disclosure - am always a push cart person. Never carry. Never motorised.
1. You mean "trolleys", carts are the things you sit in and used ubiquitously by fat Muricans
2. Erm nope. Were perhaps the 3 you played with slower walkers than you, older than you?
3. How could you tell the speed others were waling? You weren't in the group, were there hold-ups everywhere behind electric trolley groups? I doubt it seeing as ET brigade are now the massively dominant category ahead of push/pull trolleys and carriers.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you are all just burying your heads in the popcorn.

And not willing to acknowledge your contribution to slow play.

Its tough to recognise one's culpability to something you have probably also been complaining about!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Its tough to recognise one's culpability to something you have probably also been complaining about!
On the contrary, since I've never used an electric trolley I've just discovered that I can't possibly be contributing to slow play. Go me!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
But is soft ground better than hard ground for cup holding?
Hmmmm.
Soft ground allows for a bit of twisting downwards to indent the ground and create a stable base.
However, hard ground, if flat, is better, in my opinion.

Bratty

Visit site

Can you please not derail this popcorn, tea, coffee and crisp thread with talk of slow play and electric trolleys.
I hate it when a thread goes off topic.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
On the contrary, since I've never used an electric trolley I've just discovered that I can't possibly be contributing to slow play. Go me!

Let’s not mention the 72 practice swings, walking off every yardage, leaving your bag the wrong side of the green and marking your card next to the pin

Bratty

Visit site
Let’s not mention the 72 practice swings, walking off every yardage, leaving your bag the wrong side of the green and marking your card next to the pin
Can you please not derail this popcorn, tea, coffee and crisp thread with talk of Orikoru's poor behaviour. 😉

Reactions: D-S

Bratty

Visit site
Oi - I didn't do any of that stuff when we played together! :LOL: The only slow play was the sheer number of shots I had to hit. :(
Can you please not derail this popcorn, tea, coffee and crisp thread with talk of your poor game. 😉

D-S

Visit site
Though I have confessed a like for salted popcorn I am not sure if it does or doesn’t contribute to slow play on the course - however sweet popcorn has to go and take a serious look at itself in regards to this scourge on the game.