The Mental Health Thread

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s well documented here that a couple of years ago I had a serious medical accident that caused massive internal bleeding requiring major surgery and 3 x my body volume in blood transfusions.

Somehow I’m still here, but the aftermath on my mental health was not good, diagnosed with traumatic stress I had reoccurring night terrors leading to being scared to sleep leading to being unable to function properly.

Tried CBT which didn’t do much, then a different therapist tried EMDR, which hit the spot and now I have no bad dreams and I consider myself cured.

But what it has done is made me aware that if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.

Gone are the days of “ pull yourself together “

If anyone feels that they need to talk
Just PM ?

whats EMDR?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
whats EMDR?

Courtesy of wiki

Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing

Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing(EMDR) is a form of psychotherapy developed by Francine Shapiro starting in 1988 in which the person being treated is asked to recall distressing images; the therapist then directs the patient in one type of bilateral stimulation, such as side-to-side eye movements or hand tapping.[1] According to the 2013 World Health Organization practice guideline: "This therapy [EMDR] is based on the idea that negative thoughts, feelings and behaviours are the result of unprocessed memories. The treatment involves standardized procedures that include focusing simultaneously on (a) spontaneous associations of traumatic images, thoughts, emotions and bodily sensations and (b) bilateral stimulation that is most commonly in the form of repeated eye movements."[2]
EMDR is included in several evidence-based guidelines for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).[3][2][4] As of 2020, the American Psychological Association lists EMDR as an evidence-based treatment for PTSD[5] but stresses that "the available evidence can be interpreted in several ways" and notes there is debate about the precise mechanism by which EMDR appears to relieve PTSD symptoms with some evidence EMDR may simply be a variety of exposure therapy.[6]

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Courtesy of wiki

Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing

Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing(EMDR) is a form of psychotherapy developed by Francine Shapiro starting in 1988 in which the person being treated is asked to recall distressing images; the therapist then directs the patient in one type of bilateral stimulation, such as side-to-side eye movements or hand tapping.[1] According to the 2013 World Health Organization practice guideline: "This therapy [EMDR] is based on the idea that negative thoughts, feelings and behaviours are the result of unprocessed memories. The treatment involves standardized procedures that include focusing simultaneously on (a) spontaneous associations of traumatic images, thoughts, emotions and bodily sensations and (b) bilateral stimulation that is most commonly in the form of repeated eye movements."[2]
EMDR is included in several evidence-based guidelines for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).[3][2][4] As of 2020, the American Psychological Association lists EMDR as an evidence-based treatment for PTSD[5] but stresses that "the available evidence can be interpreted in several ways" and notes there is debate about the precise mechanism by which EMDR appears to relieve PTSD symptoms with some evidence EMDR may simply be a variety of exposure therapy.[6]

ahhh , i cud have googled but best u tell us, for a moment i had E standing for electric? till u replied.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Brian I don't consider myself different to anyone else, I just keep things in perspective ?
But you are different to many people, some dont have legs or arms some have chronic illness and conditions that disable them severely, they may keep things in perspective but the reality of that is their lives are more difficult to live. Mental illness is the same, look at the number of suicides from people with mental health issues. My Brother in law hung himself at 38, maybe he should have kept things in perspective?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There should be no stigma around suicide.

If you want to leave then you should be free of passing any emotional or financial burden to anyone.

And it should be legal.
That's fine if their mind and judgement is clear but unfortunatly it's often not. Maybe you need to have someone close to you do it to understand that.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
But you are different to many people, some dont have legs or arms some have chronic illness and conditions that disable them severely, they may keep things in perspective but the reality of that is their lives are more difficult to live. Mental illness is the same, look at the number of suicides from people with mental health issues. My Brother in law hung himself at 38, maybe he should have kept things in perspective?
My big brother was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia , he took his own life in the end . I often wonder if I could've done more and saved him. 20 years on and sometimes it still feels like it happened yesterday.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My biggest issue, when I’m struggling is thinking everything and everyone is against me.
I could’ve easily ended it all back in Feb when nothing made sense and I could only see one way of dealing with my issues and for the girls not to see how bad I was

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My big brother was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia , he took his own life in the end . I often wonder if I could've done more and saved him. 20 years on and sometimes it still feels like it happened yesterday.
That's what happens, you look to yourself to see if you should have done more or seen the signs.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I'm very fortunate in that my mental health is very good generally, although at times has been tested during lockdown working in a small home office with a toddler in the house

My wife suffers from anxiety, had an awful flare up after getting sepsis 6 weeks postnatal which probably took close to a year to get over. CBT was great for her. Still has anxiety challenges but incredibly proud of how she handles it and recent times incl lockdown have been largely very good. My brother also struggles from time to time with depression and anxiety, although not too seriously.

For those of us fortunate to not suffer, educate yourselves. The absolute worst response is along the lines 'man up', 'get on with it' 'you're not hurt' etc

In fact, with mental health being so well highlighted these days, the most polite way of describing people with those attitudes is selfish and obnoxious

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My biggest issue, when I’m struggling is thinking everything and everyone is against me.
I could’ve easily ended it all back in Feb when nothing made sense and I could only see one way of dealing with my issues and for the girls not to see how bad I was

I'm not going to pretend that I have any answers to the illness that is mental health, but I do know there are many on this forum who would be deeply upset if you chose to give up the fight as you are a pleasure to play golf with, and be around

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
That's fine if their mind and judgement is clear but unfortunatly it's often not. Maybe you need to have someone close to you do it to understand that.

Agree with your first sentence. I should of added it on my post.
Your second sentence I don’t need to understand, I live it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Will happily talk to you over PM. But can you exit this thread as you are not contributing apart from showing how manly you are
I am not trying to belittle this very serious thread in any way. If I told you some of my life experiences I would probably fall into high risk groups for mental health issues but there are simple and effective ways for dealing with things. Keep things in perspective, appreciate what you have in life, there is always someone worse off than you etc etc. The list of cliches is endless.

But as this is your thread I'll butt out now as requested.