The mental side of driving

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Every other club in the bag you try and hit a certain distance
150 to the flag? 7 iron
160? 6 iron and so on.

When I asked you how far you hit your driver you replied

I suggest you find a distance you can hit with the driver comfortably and try and hit it that distance EVERY TIME.

That way you won't be tempted to go for the biggy (we've all done it) and start duffing it.

sounds like a good idea Bob, only trouble is everyone thinks they hit it 300 yards:rofl::rofl:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
was a bit better this afternoon.

had 20 mins on practice ground and was hitting them well and pretty straight.

on the course, tried to slow it down and not cream the ball. still hit 3 wild slices, but the majority of drives were decent and no duffs which was a big relief.

maybe I just need to accept that the practice ground set up of hitting a drive every 30 seconds is always going to be better than going 10 minutes or more between drives on the course/

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sometimes if I hit a bad drive that goes in to the trees or in the rough, but I’m virtually sure I’ll find it I will still take a provisional just to have another go and not have to wait 10 minutes before trying another. I’m normally a bit more relaxed and hit a nice one down the middle and that gives me more confidence for the next tee.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
To me the biggest battle with golf is between the ears, regardless of club.
It's not thinking about it and just going up and hitting the ball.
It's something I've worked on the last year or so and i feel im improving because of it.
I've read a couple of that Bob Rotella books, decent reading for the mental side of the game IMO.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Matchplay last night and I drove far better than I have been. The reason? You mess up bad and its just a lost hole, you can win it back, not an 8 on the card that pretty much wrecks it.

I'm going to try to play my stableford round tomorrow with the same mindset and see what happens, if I blob so what, I'll birdie the next one. Worked last night, I was 1 over thru 12 holes at one point.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The wild slice could be that you are standing to close to the ball at address, try moving away from the ball a little, so the club has move room to swing and you're not tempted to come over the top and across the ball. I only mention that as that is my fatal swing and at a lesson the pro picked up I was standing to close the ball.