The future of golf clubs ??

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My only experience of tee booking was at Greetham Valley. Same organised group of retired gentleman were e on booking as soon as the tee times were released and in no time at all the Times between 8 and 10 at weekends were taken. All the people I knew there left for clubs where they could pitch up and play. If you want to play at a set time and do not mind what time that is then booking is fine. If you want to play every week at the same time, especially a peek time, then booking systems can cause problems

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
We use a bit of both at mine, booked slots for Tuesday's and Friday through to Sunday. Everything else is just turn up and play. I prefer it as with the time constraints a young family and work life brings I know when I'm playing at the weekend and plan accordingly. ALao the option of rocking up mid week if I'm free.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They are introducing this next year at our place as welol. Can't see a problem with it andoes should help with the flow of the course on busy days as we have 27 holes and 3 start points.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cannot understand the need with 3 start points. We have the same and I have never had to wait for more than 1 group unless there is a particular 9 I want to play first

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
We had a conversation along these lines this morning, as the course was quiet but fully booked online - I have a split opinion as sometimes booking would work for me, and at other times the roll up would work.

I would think having a booking system, with a couple of roll-up slots each hour, would work perfectly, as if you've not been able to book, you can show up and should still be able to get on.

I think those places with a booking system should penalise those who book, but are no-shows.

D

Deleted Member 1156

So an amalgamation of the two systems within the BRS . Is there a lull in walk up members just before a BRS booking?

I played last Saturday and there were a couple of visitors booked in. They had to wait a few minutes (10 max) before they could get off to allow all the members a chance to start. But that is in the middle of winter with the shortest days and maximum demand for tee times, it's a links course so open for play all year and it was a lovely day. Personally, I don't think visitors should be able to book times at the weekend, especially at this time of year but that is an entirely different discussion.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have a combination. Members only and no booking up until 11am, anyone can book a tee time from 11am onwards. Its sort of working, personally would prefer no booking at all as I rarely plan my games in advance, means I play the majority of golf between 10 and 11am these days

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would think having a booking system, with a couple of roll-up slots each hour, would work perfectly, as if you've not been able to book, you can show up and should still be able to get on.

this is the worst solution

if the 'couple of slots' per hour are over subscribed you have to wait another hour - and anyone turning up to use those will then have to wait for the following hour etc etc

what evolves is a situation where people simply don't try and use these slots, for that reason, and then they go begging.

better (I hesitate to use the word best) solution is to have a couple of hours booked, then a roll up period of the same, then booking again. This way expectation is much more likely to be met and people still roll up as well as booking. Managing this through the shorter hours of winter, and the associated inclement weather, inevitably causes some problems but so does an all roll up or all booking system.

it also provides a more realistic fall back for those banned from booking for abusing the booking system! I completely agree, as posted, that this is necessary requirement with any booking system - membership gives rights to book and play; not to book an prevent others from playing by not turning up.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cannot understand the need with 3 start points. We have the same and I have never had to wait for more than 1 group unless there is a particular 9 I want to play first

I am not sure I understand. How many start points do you use and how does it work?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A booking system is only as good as it's default system. 20 tee times booked for single players and 4 no shows means 8 players on the course an hour.

I introduced an electronic booking system at a very busy Muni in the early 1990's.
There was a bit of a hoo haa to start with but things soon settled down.

Booking was 7 days in advance.
Course opened 6.30am in the summer and the first 30 minutes were bookable, one tee time, in person only.
By 7.00am most tee times for the following week were booked until 10.30am Phones bookings were taken 30 minutes after opening and after a further 30 minutes all tee time were full until around 3pm
We had a £10 default fee per tee time for any no show. Very seldom enforced. You could cancel up to 30 minutes before play.
The booking system was much relaxed and certainly filled up any quieter times.
Income and usage increased with the added bonus the the range and bar/food use increased substantially.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
On these tee time booking systems, do you see the members names and handicaps so you could add your name if they were say only a 3-ball and knew them or are you blind?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On these tee time booking systems, do you see the members names and handicaps so you could add your name if they were say only a 3-ball and knew them or are you blind?

On ours you see the members name or guest but no other information. If theres a block booking (for a comp or a society the comp is detailed but not those in each time slot)

If theres a blank space in a group you are able to add to it if you choose

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

Don't think ours shows handicaps but has names in the slots on the brs system.

Works really well in my experience, although a lot depends on how it is customised for each club. Where there are problems with brs it isn't, in my view, the fault of the system itself more how it is implemented.

Very flexible and able to accommodate all needs

Fish

Banned
Visit site
On ours you see the members name or guest but no other information. If theres a block booking (for a comp or a society the comp is detailed but not those in each time slot)

If theres a blank space in a group you are able to add to it if you choose

Don't think ours shows handicaps but has names in the slots on the brs system.

Works really well in my experience, although a lot depends on how it is customised for each club. Where there are problems with brs it isn't, in my view, the fault of the system itself more how it is implemented.

Very flexible and able to accommodate all needs

At The Warwickshire who use the Intelligent Golf system, it just states "Booked" in the general play booking area which I'm uncomfortable with, if I could at least see the members names I could look them up in the handicap list but being blind I could end up adding my name to 3 young Cat1's having a knock and then an old chomper like me turns up, I don't like this lack of transparency!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At The Warwickshire who use the Intelligent Golf system, it just states "Booked" in the general play booking area which I'm uncomfortable with, if I could at least see the members names I could look them up in the handicap list but being blind I could end up adding my name to 3 young Cat1's having a knock and then an old chomper like me turns up, I don't like this lack of transparency!

Plenty you could teach the young whippersnappers Fish ;) That or take a few quid off them getting a shot a hole lol

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have 3 start points so you can tee off on 1, 10 or 19 for a friendly round.

Ok read that wrong. I think its on rare occasions that that there has been any issues. I certainly haven't had any but apparently a couple of weekends it was that busy that there was a substantial wait. I can't see it hurting and just provides an good overlook of the course.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same here too. Very useful in the summer when you can just rock up after work as and when and go out without having to worry about getting a time booked. Excellent if you finish work early or are running a bit late

No need to book in after 6 pm at ours . What I like about the system is I can check on my phone how busy the course is before deciding to do the 20 min drive to the club for times up to 6 pm .