The future of golf clubs ??

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've moved this year from a club that has booked tee times to a club that has a chute (booked tee times for comps only) and I much prefer the chute. At my old place, the same groups would block book tee times every week, well in advance of knowing how many people were actually playing that day. So you would see 8 tee slots booked, and not be able to put yourself down. But turn up early to warm up and the tee would be empty because the group has turned out to be smaller that day. Lost slots for members, lost potential green fees for the club.

Yes, the same thing would happen with the big roll-ups at the new place, in that they go out at (say) 9am every Sunday. But because it's a true roll-up, I know a) to avoid that slot if I want to play with specific people or guests and b) I can always join in!

Well said that man :thup:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It would certainly not suit me. I like to play around 9.00 in the morning. With no tee booking I know that if I am up the club by 8.30 then I am always off by 9. With tee booking that is not guatanteed. I know that this is a selfish approach but I would rather know that I can pitch up at any time and be teeing off half an hour later than have a system where I may get to play when I want or I may not.

D

Deleted member 15344

Witnessed both styles and prefer the turn up and play but the tee booking is more suitable to other places.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Witnessed both styles and prefer the turn up and play but the tee booking is more suitable to other places.

Agree. Turn up and play at a private members club, tee booking for the corporate type courses.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've moved this year from a club that has booked tee times to a club that has a chute (booked tee times for comps only) and I much prefer the chute. At my old place, the same groups would block book tee times every week, well in advance of knowing how many people were actually playing that day. So you would see 8 tee slots booked, and not be able to put yourself down. But turn up early to warm up and the tee would be empty because the group has turned out to be smaller that day. Lost slots for members, lost potential green fees for the club.

Yes, the same thing would happen with the big roll-ups at the new place, in that they go out at (say) 9am every Sunday. But because it's a true roll-up, I know a) to avoid that slot if I want to play with specific people or guests and b) I can always join in!

For our "Fiddle" on Weds and Fri we have to put our names down on the BRS but we all pitch up before the first tee time then draw partners, invariably there will be no shows so if you've not been able to get your name down you are still able to join in

kozmos

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you seriously want to plan your golf 3 weeks in advance at a private members club? I left my previous club for exactly this reason. All the prime times will get snapped up as soon as they go live. To get a time for a Saturday you have to be online refreshing your screen at 19:59 then grab one as soon as the server allows. If you leave it till 20:01 they have all gone.

Good luck with it :confused:

Hayling have the right answer, book competitions and all other times are walk up and play. Works beautifully :thup:

No not really :confused:

It's currently the same set up as hayling and works absolutely fine..

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We have an on-line booking system at our club and it works just fine. We can only book 7 days in advance though. As long as you avoid the peak times between about 8 and 11 am, you can still normally walk onto the course and play. The booking system is great for those busy people who can only spare a limited amount of time to play golf and don't want to wait around for a ball to reach the bottom of a chute, or whatever. :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

good summary of the practical realities

we have been through this and observed exactly this

there is no simple an see to how to get two groups that wish to play the course at the same time every week can be accommodated - but you do need to have appropriate penalties for those booking and not turning up (or cancel at all)

D

Deleted Member 1156

For our "Fiddle" on Weds and Fri we have to put our names down on the BRS but we all pitch up before the first tee time then draw partners, invariably there will be no shows so if you've not been able to get your name down you are still able to join in

Yeah but what about the guy who has a 30 minute drive to the club who doesn't leave home because all the tee times are booked when he checks the sheet? If times are handed back 20 minutes before then that's no use to him.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah but what about the guy who has a 30 minute drive to the club who doesn't leave home because all the tee times are booked when he checks the sheet? If times are handed back 20 minutes before then that's no use to him.

Is this a guy looking for a game by himself or by joining in ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Is this a guy looking for a game by himself or by joining in ?

It doesn't really matter if he is a single or a group. I've seen roll ups book 5 times on the sheet then hand a time back at the last minute because only 16 of the 20 names turn up. If that happens at the last minute and some guy has a 20-30 minute drive to the club he can't utilise that time.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

By the same token what about the guy who drives 30 minutes to find 40 " Fiddlers" waiting to go out followed by a society ? Quick check on line and he can plan his golf accordingly.
We are private members club too.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't really matter if he is a single or a group. I've seen roll ups book 5 times on the sheet then hand a time back at the last minute because only 16 of the 20 names turn up. If that happens at the last minute and some guy has a 20-30 minute drive to the club he can't utilise that time.

But if he's a member surely he'd be aware of the times that roll ups kick off so plans accordingly ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Most private clubs I would exoect the members to know exactly when each "swindle" goes out

Every day we have a swindle and people know when they go out

New members get told about them and told they are welcome to join them

D

Deleted Member 1156

By the same token what about the guy who drives 30 minutes to find 40 " Fiddlers" waiting to go out followed by a society ? Quick check on line and he can plan his golf accordingly.
We are private members club too.

My club uses BRS and society times are booked out then all other times are available for members. Our fictional guy can check before he leaves home to see if there are members walk on times available. Typically our start sheet might be something like......

07:00 - 10:30 Members/guest times
10:30 - 11:30 Lapdancing club society
11:30 - 14:00 Members/guests times

etc etc

D

Deleted Member 1156

So they can squeeze a few more pounds out of green fee's I guess.

That sounds a bit worrying to me. If you have full membership and a waiting list then it sounds like your club funds are being mis-managed :confused:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club uses BRS and society times are booked out then all other times are available for members. Our fictional guy can check before he leaves home to see if there are members walk on times available. Typically our start sheet might be something like......

07:00 - 10:30 Members/guest times
10:30 - 11:30 Lapdancing club society
11:30 - 14:00 Members/guests times

etc etc
So an amalgamation of the two systems within the BRS . Is there a lull in walk up members just before a BRS booking?