The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On positive notes, I don't know if a team of the tournament has been announced but for the first time in a long time we should have a few in there. I'd nominate:

Pickford
Shaw
Walker (never thought I'd say that)
Philips
Sterling

Take your pick of players from other teams but those players should be there or there about

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
On positive notes, I don't know if a team of the tournament has been announced but for the first time in a long time we should have a few in there. I'd nominate:

Pickford
Shaw
Philips
Sterling

Take your pick of players from other teams but those players should be there or there about
Donnarumma got player of the tournament so Pickford wouldn’t make any official team but he was very good for the most, albeit he looked very jittery at times last night.

D

Deleted member 15344

Pickford
Shaw
Philips
Sterling

Donnarumma

Walker
Chellini
Christensen
Spinazzola

Phillips
Jorginho
Pedri

Insigne
Schick
Sterling

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a kind of neutral, I feel for England. They had a great tournament overall, and exceeded reasonable expectations. It is kinda hard to say that the Southgate style failed badly after having got them that far. They dominated the first half but were on the back foot for much of the second. The penalties were cruel. I felt for Rashford and Sancho having barely kicked a ball before talking their penalties. And I think people were surprised to see the 19 year old Saka come forward to take the final penalty. Where were Sterling, Shaw, Grealish etc?

In the end, I think the better team won, but it was so so close, and once they get over the hurt, England should realise they have a great basis for the World Cup 2022.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Pickford
Shaw
Philips
Sterling

I agree, except I would put Maguire before all of them. Showed his class everywhere and anywhere he went on the pitch every game.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gutted. Cold light of day and still trying to come to terms with the loss. My heart is saying we'll just kick on and win the big one next year. My head is wondering if we can do that with Gareth in charge. I think he made a lot of mistakes last night. Saka on for Trippier - not a great choice and Saka looked out of position but also like a rabbit in the headlights - so him taking the first sudden death penalty was a shocking choice. I'm not sure how much is the manager's choice or players sticking their hand up and saying they feel confident to take one.

Then the final two subs. So late we almost didn't get them on the pitch for their penalties (wish we hadn't). It was so tight and even then Rashford wasn't ready and ran back for something? The guy just isn't on it and hasn't been for a while - off pitch commitments possibly impacting way too much.

Feel most sorry for Pickford and Saka. I can't pretend I didn't slaughter Rashford for his pathetic penalty but, once calmer, tried to appreciate the nerves and his decision. Do they practice that penalty? I reckon it works 1 in 5 and the other 4 the taker looks ridiculous. Just step up and hit it hard.

Not sure what rubbish was posted on here by the usual suspects but assume some delight was taken at others misery - says a lot about them as people if you ask me. Not the sort to have anything to do with and not the sort to pay any attention to. They're quite simply just sad, unhappy, bitter individuals.

I'm now looking forward to some decent sleep and no more late nights!! Until the Olympics...

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Gutted. Cold light of day and still trying to come to terms with the loss. My heart is saying we'll just kick on and win the big one next year. My head is wondering if we can do that with Gareth in charge. I think he made a lot of mistakes last night. Saka on for Trippier - not a great choice and Saka looked out of position but also like a rabbit in the headlights - so him taking the first sudden death penalty was a shocking choice. I'm not sure how much is the manager's choice or players sticking their hand up and saying they feel confident to take one.

Then the final two subs. So late we almost didn't get them on the pitch for their penalties (wish we hadn't). It was so tight and even then Rashford wasn't ready and ran back for something? The guy just isn't on it and hasn't been for a while - off pitch commitments possibly impacting way too much.

Feel most sorry for Pickford and Saka. I can't pretend I didn't slaughter Rashford for his pathetic penalty but, once calmer, tried to appreciate the nerves and his decision. Do they practice that penalty? I reckon it works 1 in 5 and the other 4 the taker looks ridiculous. Just step up and hit it hard.

Not sure what rubbish was posted on here by the usual suspects but assume some delight was taken at others misery - says a lot about them as people if you ask me. Not the sort to have anything to do with and not the sort to pay any attention to. They're quite simply just sad, unhappy, bitter individuals.

I'm now looking forward to some decent sleep and no more late nights!! Until the Olympics...
It’s been pretty measured on here apart from Stu dropping a C bomb.

RichA

Visit site
Cynical professionalism won through in the end. Southgate's tactics were ok, up until the very late subs and the 5 picked to take the penalties.
If England had gone all out to score in the second half of extra time, we probably wouldn't have made it to penalties.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
We were just not good enough.
Ref bottled three big decisions.
Penalty on Sterling, two red cards for Italy.
Mount and Kane anonymous.
Sick of hearing “how much talent is on the bench “but they stayed on the bench that’s no good.
We just didn’t trouble the old guys at the back enough.
It shows you can practice your penalties as much as you like but it comes down to pressure in the end, and some of the older experienced players bottled taking a penalty, and just sent out the kids.

All the talent in the world can’t compensate for a cautious manager.

2 red cards?

Definitely one for jorghino but what was the other one for?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Should have been brought on half time in extra time

Given 15 mins to get to speed and who knows with them we might have won outright or lost but would least be same outcome

Positive we took it basically as far as possible without winning (minus sudden death)

Playing 15 mins ET without two key defenders would have been a bit silly.

D

Deleted member 16999

Were to start! Certainly a night of mixed emotions, fantastic start and the next 10-15 minutes looked like we could get 2 or 3, unfortunately Italy gradually grew in to the game to the point were they may of grabbed an equaliser by half time before dominating the 2nd half and we were lucky to be level after 90 minutes.

Extra time was a damp squib with both teams settling for pens imo.

I’ve no issue with any of the penalties, Southgate said they’d practised every day and he knew his first 5.

Overall as a tournament:

Best team overall won it.

Lots of positives for England, Pickford, Sterling, Stones, Maquire, Walker, Philips, Southgate

A few negatives for England:
Lack of a Plan B from Southgate. Few Players seem to be going missing at times.

Southgate will undoubtably be in charge for Qatar and I fear we’ll be discussing his same shortcomings during that tournament.

It really is pointless having all that talent if it isn’t used and utilised, other teams we played had no issues using their 4-5 subs early on, we seemed reluctant, not sure why that is, the only difference was the Ukraine match when we were home and dried.

Certainly deserve to be optimistic going forward and I’d love these young players to have great a season for their Club and to force Southgate in to using them.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Not the result we all wanted but I think the campaign was hugely positive on the pitch. The guys gave everything and just fell short.

There's no shame in losing, they should all be very proud of themselves for their efforts over the last few weeks.

I'm certain this result will hurt a few players, hopefully they'll dust themselves off and respond positively in Qatar.

Unfortunately, the scenes from in and around London/Wembley were horrific. Those who were part of the disgraceful behaviour should be ashamed, they give the real match going fans up and down the country a bad reputation.

D

Deleted member 16999

Just a minor point, Saka was taking our 5th penalty, He had no choice and couldn’t be changed.

D

Deleted member 16999

Hmmm. That 5th one had every chance of being crucial. Poor management I think. Even if he said "I can do it boss" they should have picked someone more experienced - if we had one willing to take it.
100% - But Southgate did take responsibility.