The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
My thoughts, briefly. The Italians were the team to beat from game 1. Literally. A top top class team, brilliantly drilled and some super players. Chiellini is a hell of a captain.

Pens? Thought it was odd Rashford looked good to come on at ht in extra time but just stood there for 13 mins. But the killer for me was southgate allowing Saka to have the 5th pen. You know if it goes to 5 it's pressure. Saka looked lost for most of the game. He's 19. He didn't need that pressure. Especially when you've got sterling, Shaw, stones - all top, experienced players - on the pitch. Poor.

But, overall, I've struggled to get excited by England for a long long time. This team did it. Roll on the world cup, because they're going to get better together. Why can't they go one better? It's hard. Of course it is. But they're quite good at football, in my book!

4LEX

Visit site
Absolute bottle job from the line up to the finish.

No excuse for the performance from the goal to the finish. Utter cowardice. Italy were on the ropes in the first half and Southgate bottled it. You can't fault Rashford or Sancho as they've been criminally underused. Saka has been one of our best players. The side deserves better than a Boro reject and FA PR guy.

We've got the best and most exciting squad on the planet and it's being managed by a nomark clown. Total fraud. Two major tournaments and bottled both, no lessons learnt.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We were just not good enough.
Ref bottled three big decisions.
Penalty on Sterling, two red cards for Italy.
Mount and Kane anonymous.
Sick of hearing “how much talent is on the bench “but they stayed on the bench that’s no good.
We just didn’t trouble the old guys at the back enough.
It shows you can practice your penalties as much as you like but it comes down to pressure in the end, and some of the older experienced players bottled taking a penalty, and just sent out the kids.

All the talent in the world can’t compensate for a cautious manager.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Those who want to pretend there isn’t a racist element in the England fanbase may want to avoid the news this morning.

The sad thing is it was so predictable.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We were just not good enough.
Ref bottled three big decisions.
Penalty on Sterling, two red cards for Italy.
Mount and Kane anonymous.
Sick of hearing “how much talent is on the bench “but they stayed on the bench that’s no good.
We just didn’t trouble the old guys at the back enough.
It shows you can practice your penalties as much as you like but it comes down to pressure in the end, and some of the older experienced players bottled taking a penalty, and just sent out the kids.

All the talent in the world can’t compensate for a cautious manager.
Totally agree. We needed pace up front, not statues.
Perhaps Paddy Power had been advising Southgate, only someone forgot to put the bell inside the ball.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think England played dominantly for the first 20 minutes. Kane’s first half was very good. But the Italian subs changed it and they got into the game they stretched us wide.
But yes 2 red cards for sure, I don’t think this should be over looked and also the number of yellows for cynical fouls .. England can hold their heads up high, we played the game not the man.
As for the penalties, my heart goes out to Rashford, Sancho and especially Saka. It’s a lottery and someone either has theirs saved or they miss.
Had Italy lost their Captain it would have been another matter, but that’s football and that’s being English.
Celebrate their achievements as they have gone further than any English football team in 55 years .. I hope we see more great tournament performances and we take a position of being a side to beat.
I applaud them.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Southgate has had a lot of praise in the tournament and rightly so in my opinion but I think it became obvious during the second half that Italy were taking control of the game and he should have responded. I’m not sure if Declan Rice was injured or knackered but it was a mistake to take him off if he wasn’t.

Now, obviously I am watching through claret glasses to a degree, but Rice was having a Stormer
When he got the ball, he made things happen.
So why did he replace him with a has-been who did absolutely nothing when he came on?

If you are going to take Rice off , then put someone on who's going to actually change the game.

And to send two players on with only a couple of minutes left purely to take penalties was a massive risk which backfired. I mean I’ve seen some bad penalties, and then I saw Rashfords!…… I hope the kids Chuck their dinners at him.?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And to send two players on with only a couple of minutes left purely to take penalties was a massive risk which backfired. I mean I’ve seen some bad penalties, and then I saw Rashfords!…… I hope the kids Chuck there dinners at him.?

Maybe he should've spent more time practising penalties this year rather than trying to feed starving school kids. Might have been a different result.

(And just because I know how this place can be sometimes, that was a joke)

D

Deleted member 15344

Can someone explain something to me please.
Why was the match on so late?
I thought kick off was normally at 3pm
major tournament finals are mainly evening kick off at the weekend , allows for a big worldwide audience plus removes the chance of clashing with other major sporting events , in this case the Mens Wimbledon Final

Southgate has had a lot of praise in the tournament and rightly so in my opinion but I think it became obvious during the second half that Italy were taking control of the game and he should have responded. I’m not sure if Declan Rice was injured or knackered but it was a mistake to take him off if he wasn’t.

Now, obviously I am watching through claret glasses to a degree, but Rice was having a Stormer
When he got the ball, he made things happen.
So why did he replace him with a has-been who did absolutely nothing when he came on?

If you are going to take Rice off , then put someone on who's going to actually change the game.

And to send two players on with only a couple of minutes left purely to take penalties was a massive risk which backfired. I mean I’ve seen some bad penalties, and then I saw Rashfords!…… I hope the kids Chuck their dinners at him.?
Didn’t take too long for the club bias to come through

Has been ?‍♂️ - Rice was playing well defensively was clearly shattered and the Italian midfield was controlling the game with the game starting to pass him by , Phillips it seems has better fitness levels so they went with Rice and brought on a very expirenced player who has been in those moments in finals before .

Last edited by a moderator:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
major tournament finals are mainly evening kick off at the weekend , allows for a big worldwide audience plus removes the chance of clashing with other major sporting events , in this case the Mens Wimbledon Final

Didn’t take too long for the club bias to come through

Has been ?‍♂️

Makes sense I suppose.
I thought it was to give the fans more time to get drunker :unsure:

D

Deleted member 15344

Makes sense I suppose.
I thought it was to give the fans more time to get drunker :unsure:

Well it’s not normally an issue with most countries - but as we have seen there are a good number of England fans that are unable to behave before and after a game - and looking at some of the videos it’s not just the alcohol, videos of them snorting cocaine before and during the match. It then allows them to be brave enough to racially abuse the players when the result doesn’t go their way - there is imo no doubt that England won’t host a major football tournament for a long time now. Shame as it’s spoilt the achievements of the players and the enjoyment of the many fans who could behave.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
[QUOTE

All the talent in the world can’t compensate for a cautious manager.[/QUOTE]

Sums it up for me, lost our way in the first half by sitting to deep and conceding possession, some poor performance on the day as well didn’t help Sterling ,Mount , Saka we’re hardly in the game