The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree, except I would put Maguire before all of them. Showed his class everywhere and anywhere he went on the pitch every game.

Apart from his kicking to touch which would have matched Finn Russell at times.

Personally I do not consider a player has missed a penalty if his/her shot is saved by the goalkeeper.

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
major tournament finals are mainly evening kick off at the weekend , allows for a big worldwide audience plus removes the chance of clashing with other major sporting events , in this case the Mens Wimbledon Final

There was never any mention of who won the Wimbledon final on the news last night. Can't have been that important!

D

Deleted member 16999

Not the result we all wanted but I think the campaign was hugely positive on the pitch. The guys gave everything and just fell short.

There's no shame in losing, they should all be very proud of themselves for their efforts over the last few weeks.

I'm certain this result will hurt a few players, hopefully they'll dust themselves off and respond positively in Qatar.

Unfortunately, the scenes from in and around London/Wembley were horrific. Those who were part of the disgraceful behaviour should be ashamed, they give the real match going fans up and down the country a bad reputation.
Any proof some of these scum bags don’t follow their Club during the season?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 red cards?

Definitely one for jorghino but what was the other one for?

There was a studs up tackle in the first half that I've seen reds given for.

I wish we could have kept going like we did in the first half, but, as with the semi in the last world Cup, we ended up too deep and playing long balls back to them.

Whilst I get the need for the defensive start, Forden, Sancho, Rushford should have been introduced with 20 minutes to go. Southgates only mistake imo.

It was a great tournament and to compete and get to the final was fantastic...... I enjoyed watching it all. Made a nice change from the doom and gloom of Covid mania.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I didn’t say I agreed with the 5 takers, just answering your point.(y)

Wasn't disagreeing with you either :). I'm just surprised that out of the whole team, Southgate chose a 19 year old lad, playing his first few games for the team, as one of his 5 takers. I would have thought an older head with more experience made more sense, it was a huge pressure to put on Saka, especially since Rashford and Sancho had already cocked up so badly. Watching Southgate after, it seems that the Saka put his hand up, and was one of the better takers in practice, at least that's the way I remember him talking from last night.

I don't get the stop jig to try and make the keeper commit, just pick a spot and blast it, if the keeper saves it, fair enough. But this stutter run is just prone to the issues we saw last night.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Any proof some of these scum bags don’t follow their Club during the season?

No doubt they absolutely do follow their clubs across the 4or5 football leagues up and down the country.

I'm not quite sure what proof you want me to give you but let me make myself a tad clearer.

Yesterday there were many St George flags inside Wembley stadium from fans of clubs up and down the country.

The behaviour of those cretins outside Wembley and around the city yesterday tars the reputation of those inside the ground unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 16999

Wasn't disagreeing with you either :). I'm just surprised that out of the whole team, Southgate chose a 19 year old lad, playing his first few games for the team, as one of his 5 takers. I would have thought an older head with more experience made more sense, it was a huge pressure to put on Saka, especially since Rashford and Sancho had already cocked up so badly. Watching Southgate after, it seems that the Saka put his hand up, and was one of the better takers in practice, at least that's the way I remember him talking from last night.

I don't get the stop jig to try and make the keeper commit, just pick a spot and blast it, if the keeper saves it, fair enough. But this stutter run is just prone to the issues we saw last night.
Agreed, but as I put before and as Southgate stated and, imo, rushed Rashford and Sancho on to the pitch, they’d practised everyday in training so they must of discussed the five takers and the order they would take them.

The older heads may of wanted to step up and Southgate decided against it.

D

Deleted member 16999

No doubt they absolutely do follow their clubs across the 4or5 football leagues up and down the country.

I'm not quite sure what proof you want me to give you but let me make myself a tad clearer.

Yesterday there were many St George flags inside Wembley stadium from fans of clubs up and down the country.

The behaviour of those cretins outside Wembley and around the city yesterday tars the reputation of those inside the ground unfortunately.
Totally agree they are absolutely embarrassing and if identified should be locked up, but your initial post stated “they give the real match going fans up and down the country a bad reputation”

Just not sure how you can differentiate who is “real” and who isn’t.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst I get the need for the defensive start, Foden, Sancho, Rushford should have been introduced with 20 minutes to go. Southgates only mistake imo.

It was a great tournament and to compete and get to the final was fantastic...... I enjoyed watching it all. Made a nice change from the doom and gloom of Covid mania.

Foden wasn't there, he was injured, but I do agree with your sentiment entirely.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Totally agree they are absolutely embarrassing and if identified should be locked up, but your initial post stated “they give the real match going fans up and down the country a bad reputation”

Just not sure how you can differentiate who is “real” and who isn’t.

Apologies my bad, I've made an assumption that those "fans" in Leicester Sq and other places aren't real match going fans just by looking at the pictures.

I stopped going to football grounds late 1990's but I've been to many up and down the country and seen enough bad behaviour to differentiate real fans and the cretins we seen yesterday.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was no plan 'B', the England wingbacks were causing all sorts of problems in the first 30 minutes, then Italy changed their game and started the high press, they dominated possession and there was no outlet when we did regain the ball, I was screaming at the tv for Southgate to change something, but imo he is a defender and reverts to type, doesn't have the imagination required for the bigger picture, I get the feeling that he is so intent on not losing that he becomes too scared of losing to win, he is a nice guy but has no clue how to harness the incredible pool of young talent available, it's not just him either, he has a whole management team around him.

The penalties were always going to be a lottery, but to bring on two penalty takers with no time for them to get into the game was totally unfair on them!

On the whole Italy played the better game and the best side won.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
There was a studs up tackle in the first half that I've seen reds given for.

I wish we could have kept going like we did in the first half, but, as with the semi in the last world Cup, we ended up too deep and playing long balls back to them.

Whilst I get the need for the defensive start, Forden, Sancho, Rushford should have been introduced with 20 minutes to go. Southgates only mistake imo.

I don’t recall the 1st half challenge

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s got to feel like a huge opportunity missed , during the run up and in the preview show there was lot of talk about the bench and that in a tight game England held the aces up their sleeves with the power coming off the bench - the starting line up was solid to provide a platform that they produced but you could see that when Italy were tiring in ET it was the perfect chance to use that pace from the bench - but the players were criminally under used throughout - Sancho who has shone in the Bundasliga all year , even the German players can’t understand why he doesn’t get more minutes , Rashford just sitting there each game , Grealish under used.

Last night was the time to really go for it - step out of your normal Southgate and bring on the firepower that many managers would love - don’t be afraid to take off the likes of Kane and Sterling , don’t have two sitting mids , go for it - could you see the likes of Pep or Klopp etc be so defensive looking for the lottery of pens. Got to be very disappointing despite a great achievement getting to the final

I’m not sure if England will have another chance like that in the near future- everything dropped into their lap and just once again failed to get past a top level side when needed - Southgate either needs to be replaced or they add a coach into his team - he clearly is a superb man manager but tactics wise seems niave

It’s always the way it seems - England rugby reached a final recently , none of what was seen last night , they lost - no one abused the players . This was a perfect chance to show that England or indeed the UK can host a World Cup , that’s gone now and a blind eye can’t be turned to it , or it all brushed under the carpet , it’s time the media step up as well

D

Deleted member 23270

England have a squad capable of winning the World Cup next year but it won't happen if Southgate is in charge.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Well in the cold light of day it's same old and imo will be in Qatar too.

I'm not his biggest fan but accepted that he would get the world cup the second we beat Germany.

Just seems much like Croatia that a team gets to grips with us and he isn't flexible/brave enough to make adequate changes.

Totally agree with Keane too. Some of the order members should be ashamed of themselves leaving Sako to the pens. Irrespective of Gareth saying it was his choice.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
England have a squad capable of winning the World Cup next year but it won't happen if Southgate is in charge.

I feel for Southgate, he comes across as real genuine guy with a fantastic work ethic. I think he's earned another shot at a tournament although I'm not sure we can afford to be giving managers too much time. It's a very fine line.

If the FA did make the change, I'd like to see Lampard given the job, he worked wonders with that Chelsea squad giving the youth a chance. He's got all the playing experience and is a England Legend.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Donnarumma got player of the tournament so Pickford wouldn’t make any official team but he was very good for the most, albeit he looked very jittery at times last night.
I wouldn't argue against that, he is a class act. Pickford would have been on the bench though :D.

It is always subjective but the players I picked out were all worthy, although there could well have been better in other teams. I guess my point is that this is a tournament where we genuinely have had players up for discussion for the team of the tournament. Something to be pleased about.