The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 red cards?

Definitely one for jorghino but what was the other one for?
The assault on Saka bringing him down by the scruff of his neck.
So 19 yr old lightning fast verses a 35 yr old CB level with him at best.
I would not give him any chance of catching him at all, so
Chealini is the last man imo.
That’s red. Ref bottled it.

D

Deleted member 29109

I feel for Southgate, he comes across as real genuine guy with a fantastic work ethic. I think he's earned another shot at a tournament although I'm not sure we can afford to be giving managers too much time. It's a very fine line.

If the FA did make the change, I'd like to see Lampard given the job, he worked wonders with that Chelsea squad giving the youth a chance. He's got all the playing experience and is a England Legend.

Lampard?
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Being last man doesn’t make it a red card.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I'm taking the Scottish approach.
Great 1-1 victory for England last night ??

Being serious for a moment, the stat I expect GS will be focusing on is England went through the whole tournament without losing to any team in regular footy.

Nothing to with last night but I've hoped for years the authorities could find better ways of setting a game (but acknowledge it isn't easy). Italy failed to win their last two games (team vs team on pitch), but of course their name is in the trophy and in the history books and that's what counts.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmmm. That 5th one had every chance of being crucial. Poor management I think. Even if he said "I can do it boss" they should have picked someone more experienced - if we had one willing to take it.
Southgate has been haunted by his penalty miss for years.
He has now put Saka in that position for a very long time.
So all this “ the boys are not tainted by history” has now gone.
The senior players and manager have a lot to answer for imo.
Practice is just the same as golf, there is no pressure on you , but doing it down the stretch or in Wembley are two totally different things imo.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
for Southgate to change something, but imo he is a defender and reverts to type
That’s interesting. Has there ever been a study on what players bake the best managers? I don’t remember many strikers and especially goalies, but there aren’t that many keepers in the 1st place.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Being serious for a moment, the stat I expect GS will be focusing on is England went through the whole tournament without losing to any team in regular footy.

Nothing to with last night but I've hoped for years the authorities could find better ways of setting a game (but acknowledge it isn't easy). Italy failed to win their last two games (team vs team on pitch), but of course their name is in the trophy and in the history books and that's what counts.

Only let in 2 goals both from set pieces lol small victories

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Tactical shirt pull near the middle line. Yellow card all day long. 1st minute or last minute.
If this would be the other way Sheerer would call it clever and did what needs to be done.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s interesting. Has there ever been a study on what players bake the best managers? I don’t remember many strikers and especially goalies, but there aren’t that many keepers in the 1st place.

Fergie was a striker , Bobby Robson was aswell

So was Kenny dalgish and brain Clough

Not forgetting Johan Cruyff

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last man, totally professional foul makes it red imo .
But in the refs not?

"Professional" fouls don't equal red cards (otherwise there'd be about 7 v 7 average in PL games by the end). Last man really doesn't mean anything, the law of the game is centred around denying a clear goal scoring opportunity (or a caution for preventing a promising attack).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why not?

He's Englands best midfielder in the last few decades, a winner and I can't think of anyone better at the moment.

I don't want another Johnny foreigner manager. We've been there and done that.

We would be falling into a trap of a good player a good manager doesn't always make.

He was given Chelsea job to keep the fans happy whilst they couldn't spend.. they wouldn't turn on a hero of theirs as quick .. he did well yes but his lack of experience showed second season

Southgate did his time with the u21s and Saw a lot of these players through there .. they are a close unit because of him and his methods

Change him when it looks like we can progress no more

A semi and a final in 3 years? More success than any other England manager of past 2 decades no?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site

They should take the penalties before extra time. Have the tie break decided before the 30mins. That way one team has no option but to throw caution to the wind in extra time. Sure it could be that after winning the tie break one team could play for the draw, but I'd argue neither England nor Italy had any intention of taking any risks in the extra 30mins...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tactical shirt pull near the middle line. Yellow card all day long. 1st minute or last minute.
If this would be the other way Sheerer would call it clever and did what needs to be done.
So an international football player through on goal not being caught by an elderly defender is not a clear goal scoring opportunity?
I think it is and that’s red no matter where he is on the pitch.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
More likely to be sent off for the force of the pull round the neck
The force of holding is the same most of the time.

If I walk into a wall or run into a wall, the wall did exactly the same. It’s me who generates the force.

Holding a fast or slow player shouldn’t make a difference.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Why not?

He's Englands best midfielder in the last few decades, a winner and I can't think of anyone better at the moment.

I don't want another Johnny foreigner manager. We've been there and done that.
Sorry mate but I’m with BiMguy,Lampard is a terrible shout.
Southgate as done a good job & can see the squad being even better next year when some of the younger players get another year under their belt.