The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

For all my criticisms of Southgates tactical failings, I don't think he should be replaced. He does have a lot of good qualities, his man management skills with a young inexperienced squad, his dealings with the media etc. He needs to strengthen his backroom staff though, have someone in there who is more tactically savvy.
Or someone who will “bully” him in to making changes.:D

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unpopular opinion...

As much as i wanted it to come home last night.. having seen the players being abused, opposition national anthem booed and supporters being kicked.... i dont think we deserve any silverware of any form. While the team deserves WC 2022, I dont think this country does.

... And for those who say it is the actions of the few, well the inactions of the many are not helping it... The three lions deserve better

D

Deleted member 16999

Have to say, although a lot of “pulling & pushing” happens at corners, I’m still surprised this was missed by Linesman and VAR from Walkers throw in.:mad:
9D3906C6-D0A7-4675-83A3-996B27A500C8.jpeg

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Southgate has to take some blame for being so negative. A back 5 and 2 holding midfielders is just inviting the other team to attack. England caught Italy cold, and a 2nd goal would have killed them off. Instead they got deeper and deeper.

The obvious sub for me was Grealish for Rice. This would have got England up the park. Instead, bringing on Henderson was basically a like for like change, when it was obvious the system wasn't working.

The match stats are pretty damning, Italy 65% possession, 19 shots vs England's 6, 6 shots on target vs 2 for England.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes it is. Can we say it’s a tug for certain? Can we measure how forceful a tug is? What force equals which colour card?

What I can’t find is a wide shot from the time. I would like to know if there were defenders in the middle or if he was through.
I don’t care if on paper there were slower or faster, just if a defender was closer to the goal or not.
Italy had pushed their line onto the halfway line.
Saka was past all the defenders as I remember it.
And I genuinely don’t think they were catching him, as they all stopped because they thought it was going out for a throw in.
That is the only reason he brought him down he knew he was away, and they were not catching him.
Was VAR used for anything last night ?
I can’t remember it being mentioned once.

RichA

Visit site
Italy had pushed their line onto the halfway line.
Saka was past all the defenders as I remember it.
And I genuinely don’t think they were catching him, as they all stopped because they thought it was going out for a throw in.
That is the only reason he brought him down he knew he was away, and they were not catching him.
Was VAR used for anything last night ?
I can’t remember it being mentioned once.
Regardless of whether Chiellini was the last man or it was a clear goal scoring opportunity, he did something in a football match that is banned in American Football and rugby because it's so likely to cause injury. Violent conduct, red card.
Not that it matters now or would realistically have changed the outcome.

D

Deleted member 16999

Unpopular opinion...

As much as i wanted it to come home last night.. having seen the players being abused, opposition national anthem booed and supporters being kicked.... i dont think we deserve any silverware of any form. While the team deserves WC 2022, I dont think this country does.

... And for those who say it is the actions of the few, well the inactions of the many are not helping it... The three lions deserve better
Your argument could of been used for the last 30yrs though, the trouble comes from the Club Fan Bases and the failure of authorities to take strong enough action with criminal offences! The Police are seriously undermanned, there’s a lack of respect and Social Conscience in the Country and the Courts need to hammer offenders.

We knew this behaviour would happen and nothing was done to prevent it, why we keep thinking it’ll stop whilst doing nothing is beyond me!

Also have a look on here and the attitude from forum members to Footballers and others continuing to “take the knee”

Society needs “raking out”

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Let's put this into perspective.

This England team is world away from what I've seen over the last 30 years or so. All I've seen previously is an inability to hold on to the ball, lump aimless balls up front to big striker. Rinse, repeat. And then we get knocked out early in the tournament. Who remembers that Iceland performance? The names we've had playing for England over the years. Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard, Terry, etc.; the so-called Golden Generation that did sweet FA. Forward to now, we are a team that can pass the ball around and starting to show that we can play in tight spaces and handle high pressure. It's not there yet at the Italian level, but not far off.

We are a growing and evolving team. The last two tournaments have been very successful and this team is better than the Russia 2018 team. Comparing Italy and England, this Italian team is at its peak where as we are a bit behind, but improving. They show excellent technical ability and great fluidity and mobility around the park. Remember, Italy didn't even qualify for the last World Cup and since then they have been immense. We should afford Gareth the time to continually improve us in time for the Qatar World Cup; and this is where Gareth is at a crossroads right now. To improve, he has to alter his tactics so that we are more dynamic in the centre of the park, utilising the Fodens and Grealishs of this world. italy showed what is needed. Get the ball players playing football in the centre of the park., with pace, mobility and technical ability. It's this alteration that will mean we could peak in time for the World Cup. If Gareth chooses the same current tactical path, we won't do well in Qatar, simple as that.

Hopefully Gareth will also learn to be more proactive rather than reactive. At half-term, Klinsmann (World and Euros winner so knows what it takes to win) was asked something like, "What do England need to do in the second half?". His response was, "Don't sit back and invite pressure, continue what you are doing and look for the second goal". Unfortunately we did the former. Mancini altered tactics and Gareth took too long to react to them.

It can be so easy to over criticise. Let's not forget, we didn't lose a game and lost the final on a lottery. Home advantage helped, as it did for Italy in the group stages. I'm as positive as I have been for a long time with this team and will continue to back Gareth as long as alters his style in preparation for the next World Cup.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southgate has to take some blame for being so negative. A back 5 and 2 holding midfielders is just inviting the other team to attack. England caught Italy cold, and a 2nd goal would have killed them off. Instead they got deeper and deeper.

The obvious sub for me was Grealish for Rice. This would have got England up the park. Instead, bringing on Henderson was basically a like for like change, when it was obvious the system wasn't working.

The match stats are pretty damning, Italy 65% possession, 19 shots vs England's 6, 6 shots on target vs 2 for England.

Rice was having a good game, winning the majority of his battles and taking the ball into their half (first half) at speed

Mount needed hooking for grealish but Henderson for rice made sense to freshen up but not change tactics

It's not southgates fault that Henderson had a poor game when he came on, just didn't seem to get in the swing of things (bar one great pass)

Grealish was too late to the party should have been 60 mins in

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Regardless of whether Chiellini was the last man or it was a clear goal scoring opportunity, he did something in a football match that is banned in American Football and rugby because it's so likely to cause injury. Violent conduct, red card.
Not that it matters now or would realistically have changed the outcome.
You think them going to ten men would not change the outcome?
That’s what a cautious manager waits for .
A reason to change because they are weakened probably by sacrificing a forward to shore up the defence.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there not a case to be made, especially with 5 subs available, to say to Sterling, Mount & Saka (or whoever the three are that are starting), "Don't worry about lasting 90 minutes. Go out there and run yourself into the ground for 60 or 70 minutes and put the opposition under pressure. If you're knackered after an hour we've got Sancho, Grealish, Foden, Rashford etc to come off the bench to replace you".

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let's put this into perspective.

This England team is world away from what I've seen over the last 30 years or so. All I've seen previously is an inability to hold on to the ball, lump aimless balls up front to big striker. Rinse, repeat. And then we get knocked out early in the tournament. Who remembers that Iceland performance? The names we've had playing for England over the years. Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard, Terry, etc.; the so-called Golden Generation that did sweet FA. Forward to now, we are a team that can pass the ball around and starting to show that we can play in tight spaces and handle high pressure. It's not there yet at the Italian level, but not far off.

We are a growing and evolving team. The last two tournaments have been very successful and this team is better than the Russia 2018 team. Comparing the Italy and England, this Italian team is at its peak where as we are a bit behind, but improving. They show excellent technical ability and great fluidity and mobility around the park. Remember, Italy didn't even qualify for the last World Cup and since then they have been immense. We should afford Gareth the time to continually improving us in time for the Qatar World Cup; and this is where Gareth is at a crossroads right now. To improve, he has to alter his tactics so that we are more dynamic in the centre of the park, utilising the Fodens and Grealishs of this world. italy showed what is needed. Get the ball players playing football in the centre of the park., with pace, mobility and technical ability. It's this alteration that will mean we could peak in time for the World Cup. If Gareth chooses the same current tactical path, we won't do well in Qatar, simple as that.

Hopefully Gareth will also learn to be more proactive rather than reactive. At half-term, Klinsmann (World and Euros winner so knows what it takes to win) was asked something like, "What do England need to do in the second half?". His response was, "Don't sit back and invite pressure, continue what you are doing and look for the second goal". Unfortunately we did the former. Mancini altered tactics and Gareth took too long to react to them.

It can be so easy to over criticise. Let's not forget, we didn't lose a game and lost the final on a lottery. Home advantage helped, as it did for Italy in the group stages. I'm as positive as I have been for a long time with this team and will continue to back Gareth as long as alters his style in preparation for the next World Cup.
That’s a fair assessment.
But the big question for me is CAN he change his style.?
He is where he is because he’s cautious I don’t think he can.
He’s got the best bench in the tournament it’s a pity he didn’t use it properly.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there not a case to be made, especially with 5 subs available, to say to Sterling, Mount & Saka (or whoever the three are that are starting), "Don't worry about lasting 90 minutes. Go out there and run yourself into the ground for 60 or 70 minutes and put the opposition under pressure. If you're knackered after an hour we've got Sancho, Grealish, Foden, Rashford etc to come off the bench to replace you".
The two old guys played 120 mins at the back because we didn’t do exactly that.