The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Just read that one of those identified abusing Saka on Instagram is apparently a 15yr old who claims to be on Everton’s books as an U16 player.

If true I hope the Club do the right thing and his career is ended today.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Taking nothing but positives from last night

Such a young team, realistically next 2 world cups and the next euros the spine will still be in their prime with the youngsters moving up

Only walker and Henderson (of those who came on often) are older guard who you have Bellingham and Trent waiting

The futures bright

RichA

Visit site
Just read that one of those identified abusing Saka on Instagram is apparently a 15yr old who claims to be on Everton’s books as an U16 player.

If true I hope the Club do the right thing and his career is ended today.
Sacking the 15 year old won't make him a better person, but he'll hopefully be punished and educated for his stupidity.

D

Deleted member 29109

My 11yr old last night. o_O. Floods of tears. :(
My 11 yo was absolutely gutted too. It reminded me of how I felt after Italia90.

My lads team lost a semi final earlier this season on pens. In exactly the same way England did last night. He said he felt sorry for the England players as he knew how bad they would feel.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not a great follower of Football but always follow the national side. From my limited knowledge of the game the England team in this comp have been the best I can remember since the 1960s. Southgate seems a real genuine person and deserves credit for putting together a side that have demonstrated some impressive football.

On another point, I was disappointed the way most of the England players took off their medals straight after being presented. I understand they were disappointed but I thought it was rather childish.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Couple of things.

Political correctness.
Ever since Hoddle insulted disabled people by accusing them of bad karma it seems that this is the #1 criterion for an England manager.

Intelligence.
Southgate twisting and turning or the intense gaze of Mancini?
A clever manager begs a smart team.
Example: Southgate bringing on 2 subs at the end for penalties.

D

Deleted member 29109

I'm not a great follower of Football but always follow the national side. From my limited knowledge of the game the England team in this comp have been the best I can remember since the 1960s. Southgate seems a real genuine person and deserves credit for putting together a side that have demonstrated some impressive football.

On another point, I was disappointed the way most of the England players took off their medals straight after being presented. I understand they were disappointed but I thought it was rather childish.

On your last point. Almost every player that gets a second place medal in every final does exactly the same. I've seen many not even allow it to be put over their head.

RichA

Visit site
On your last point. Almost every player that gets a second place medal in every final does exactly the same. I've seen many not even allow it to be put over their head.
I commented on that last night. As a Forest and England supporter, it wasn't something I'd witnessed before.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We were in dream land after the early goal. It did feel kind of too early though. You always felt we were going to pushed further and further back through the game and it would be tough to hold on. Their goal was scrappy when it came though. I felt that if it went to extra time we'd be favourites because we had the stronger attacking options on our bench. But they weren't really utilised? Southgate didn't get much wrong in the tournament, but bringing on two players just to take a penalty and them both missing is a huge one. Just because they scored penalties in training doesn't mean they can come into a tournament final cold, have one or two touches and then bang one in with the whole world watching. Ridiculous to expect anyone to do that. Perhaps even more ridiculous is putting a 19-year-old who's just broken into the side on the 5th penalty! What an outrageous amount pressure to expect him to deal with. I can't believe someone with experience wasn't on the final penalty. For Southgate especially, winning on penalties would have been some redemption, but he got it totally wrong.

Nevertheless, Southgate deserves to lead these boys to the World Cup. I think it's clear that the team enjoys playing for him, and they're only going to improve now, with young players like Grealish, Foden, Bellingham becoming more instrumental I would expect. And as the World Cup is only about 16 months away I think it would be better for cohesion to keep the same boss involved anyway. It's not really enough time to rebuild under a different manager.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We were in dream land after the early goal. It did feel kind of too early though. You always felt we were going to pushed further and further back through the game and it would be tough to hold on. Their goal was scrappy when it came though. I felt that if it went to extra time we'd be favourites because we had the stronger attacking options on our bench. But they weren't really utilised? Southgate didn't get much wrong in the tournament, but bringing on two players just to take a penalty and them both missing is a huge one. Just because they scored penalties in training doesn't mean they can come into a tournament final cold, have one or two touches and then bang one in with the whole world watching. Ridiculous to expect anyone to do that. Perhaps even more ridiculous is putting a 19-year-old who's just broken into the side on the 5th penalty! What an outrageous amount pressure to expect him to deal with. I can't believe someone with experience wasn't on the final penalty. For Southgate especially, winning on penalties would have been some redemption, but he got it totally wrong.

Nevertheless, Southgate deserves to lead these boys to the World Cup. I think it's clear that the team enjoys playing for him, and they're only going to improve now, with young players like Grealish, Foden, Bellingham becoming more instrumental I would expect. And as the World Cup is only about 16 months away I think it would be better for cohesion to keep the same boss involved anyway. It's not really enough time to rebuild under a different manager.

In the last 2 major finals Southgate has got England to the semi and final. Don’t totally agree with some of the (over) cautious tactics but the results clearly suggest Southgate is the man for the job.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only person who’s opinion counts said it wasn’t a red
Yes just seen it again and they were a bit deeper than I thought. But still in the centre circle .!
But would still put my money on Saka to outrun them.
The force of the shirt pull though if Heineken did shirt pulls.
I still think it’s red ,he could have seriously hurt him.

D

Deleted member 3432

I'm not someone who watches football very often but have managed to see England's various failures over the years.

We seem unable to handle the pressure of penalty shootouts judging on the number we have lost.

Can't see England winning anything unless they find a way to get through a penalty shootout or avoid one altogether.

Thought that the two subs were set up to fail and the youngster was just out of his depth in that situation.

Five senior players left out there should have stood up and took responsibility if we were going to sneak it.

Saddens me to hear the abuse some are taking over a game of football. What is wrong with these people?

RichA

Visit site
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ngland-fans-euro-2020-final-b1882271.html?amp

More and more incidents of the abuse on social media , plus now some people saying Italian restaurants being vandalised

Why ? What is going through their heads
A small minority of muppets in any society go through life looking for excuses to wreak chaos and dish out abuse. When 30 million England "supporters" have just seen their team lose, the small minority constitutes quite a large number of muppets spread across a large area.

By next weekend the excuse will be Love Island, face masks on trains or just their inability to metabolise alcohol peacefully.