The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All day long, you cannot brush that off as a shirt tug, that is a physical assault and in no way part of the game… if he wanted Saka’s shirt he should have waited for the game to finish and for him to get his head out of it… this epitomises unacceptable football behaviours and the ref has only re-enforced them being acceptable.
They are trying to let the skilful players play, Zlatan said he pulled him down like a child, and I can imagine Zlatan would have run off with Chiellini’s arm still attached to his shirt … but that is not football, rugby doesn’t allow it either …

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
RE. the Saka incident my son calls those orange card moments. Worse than a yellow, not quite a red. It is what sin bins were designed for but football doesn't seem keen on them. 10 minutes or more with your team down a player might make players think about these things.

Unfortunately orange cards don’t exist yet…hope it does happen though. In rugby a collar tug is a straight red because it’s deemed dangerous.

D

Deleted member 15344

By the rules it’s a shirt pull which is a yellow - for it to be a red then it’s got to be dangerous play , pulling a shirt ?‍♂️ I think the ref got that one right

I can’t see any referee giving it a red and VAR seemed to agree with the ref and didn’t even appear to be any potential red card check

It’s cynical and professional but not a ref imo

RichA

Visit site
By the rules it’s a shirt pull which is a yellow - for it to be a red then it’s got to be dangerous play...
For what it's worth, in American Football, where bone crunching tackles are the norm, this manoeuvre, the horse collar tackle, is specifically outlawed because it is so dangerous.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I felt that was a yellow as letter of the law it's still a shirt tug. However the studs into Grealish's knee later could definitely have been a red - we've seen softer reds in this very tournament, like Ampadu and the Swedish lad.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
For what it's worth, in American Football, where bone crunching tackles are the norm, this manoeuvre, the horse collar tackle, is specifically outlawed because it is so dangerous.

Pretty much the same with rugby, a shirt pull will get you a penalty with maybe a yellow in some circumstances but yank someone back by the collar and you are looking at a straight red.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Football has to be dragged into changing any laws.
They don’t do themselves any favours with some of the really soft sendings off.
Then a full on stamp ,over the ball on Grealish is just yellow.

That isn’t just your average shirt pull, and as far as I am aware it’s up to the ref to gauge the severity of the offence, that’s why I think he got both wrong and VAR won’t go against him.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Can this now clear up the clear goal scoring opportunity misinformation please

There are two defenders who could get to saka if he had broken through which is why it couldn't be a red under that law.

Infact watching again...he not even last man!!!

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Grealish one I thought the ref got right, his foot bounces off the ball onto Grealish, its nasty but not intentional. The shirt pull was downright dangerous and should have been a red imo

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Grealish one I thought the ref got right, his foot bounces off the ball onto Grealish, its nasty but not intentional. The shirt pull was downright dangerous and should have been a red imo

For dangerous play or excessive force id agree but not the last man or clear goal scoring thats been banded about

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Can this now clear up the clear goal scoring opportunity misinformation please

There are two defenders who could get to saka if he had broken through which is why it couldn't be a red under that law.

Infact watching again...he not even last man!!!
He would have been the last man as Saka was about to get on his bike.. it’s just too violent to be a simple shirt tug,

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He would have been the last man as Saka was about to get on his bike.. it’s just too violent to be a simple shirt tug,

The force I agree with

But at time of challenge he is behind saka and isn't last man as shown in that video

Those 2 defenders could have easily got there

So can't be clear goal scoring opportunity hence a yellow

But are we really surprised the Italians were playing dirty? It's what they shine at

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Not sure about the last man bit. However, Law 12 is clear on violent or excessive force. It’s a sending off offence. It then becomes a subjective opinion from the ref and VAR. Was a shirt pull that resembled a garrotte excessive? The ref and VAR thought not. I would agree with them if it had been a straightforward shirt pull.

I believe the desire to allow play to flow and to try and keep cards in pockets, throughout the tournament, actually let down the decent players and gave excessive licence to the thugs in some teams.